Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510

4 posters

Go down

Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510 Empty Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510

Post  bicter Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi,
I'm a complete newbie at handheld GPS, previously using Google Earth.
I've now purchased a Magellan 510 and trying to get my GE kml to work on it.
Using Vantagepoint, provided by Magellan, I have managed to convert the file to a UPT type which is supposed to be suitable for this GPS. I then copy the file to the SD card in the GPS but can't view it or use it.
Can anyone either give me a point by point guide to use my GE points on the GPS or give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
TErry
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510 Empty Re: Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510

Post  just40 Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 pm

hey terry if you work it out can you sort out my magellan 610 i got for christmas, i have no idea...... Question

just40
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510 Empty Re: Importing Google earth waypoints into Magellan 510

Post  bicter Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 am

Will do. I have a feeling that I have too many waypoints, I read somewhere on the web that the unit is limited to 2000 waypoints but I don;t know if that's correct. Will continue trying tonight..... now I'm off detecting Smile
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 am

Guys once I'm at my computer I will do up some easy to use guides. With your Kml file you will need to transfer your points to vantage point & then sync it from PC to GPS.
Sorry guys brains needing coffee. bounce
If you have any questions post them up, I'll do my best to answer them. I've been a Magellan dealer for the last 8 months & I've tried to master the 710.
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Aussie,
I've already converted the GPS points to Magellan format - See first post. It appears that the 510 is limited to 400 waypoints.... or so I've been informed by someone distantly associated with Magellan. Can you confirm if this is correct?
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:35 pm

That appears to be right. If you've converted the waypoints, have you synced the computer to the GPS? Doing this will transfer the waypoints.
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:11 pm

bicter wrote:Aussie,
I've already converted the GPS points to Magellan format - See first post. It appears that the 510 is limited to 400 waypoints.... or so I've been informed by someone distantly associated with Magellan. Can you confirm if this is correct?

G'day bicter

We have the older Magellan Explorist 500 and now have bought the newer Magellan Explorist 510

I know for a fact that the older one would hold 500 waypoints, because when it reached it's limit it deleted ALL of the older ones magically by itself, Magellan had NO reason or explanition for this, and to say the least I was fairly pissed off, luckily I had them backed up Very Happy

Now the new model Magellan explorist 510 has the capability for 2000 waypoints, this is what magellan claim, I won't know for quite some time whether this is fact or fiction.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 pm

I will verify how many it holds for you guys.
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 am

Aussiedetecting wrote:I will verify how many it holds for you guys.

Come on Brad, so how many??????????

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  laney Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I have a magellan explorist 110 and loaded some mine points from a *.kml file to it through the vantage point (VP) software. not sure if the 510 work the same but i will give quick steps as how including changing file from kmz (not compatible) to kml:
1. If the file is *.kmz open in google earth (GE)
2. once loaded in the side bar (enable from the view tab or ctrl+alt+b) will be a temporary places folder with the file you loaded
3. right click this file and select "save place as.."
4. change the save type to Kml (*.kml) and select a location (desktop) give it a than save
5. launch vantage point and resize so you can see the kml file
6. drag and drop this file into VP
7. the file will inport to My Journal
8. connect gps unit and synch
[courtesy of son Jack]
Laney

laney
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down