Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

possible new or forgotten gold area?

2 posters

Go down

possible new or forgotten gold area? Empty possible new or forgotten gold area?

Post  mickeymouse2000 Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi all just recently my old man has given me some gold and gem magazines. been reading and got abit interested in gold. use to be all opal eyes but its too far away for that from where i live. Since reading the mags id like to do some detecting in my local area, so as you do , quick search, all the gold is around a hours drive away. talked to a few mates and farmers that i work with. well what do you know there is quartz out on this property and gold has been found there, so they say. Question is, if there is quartz is there gold .. and 2nd how do i know if its a forgotten gold area. apparently there is some old diggings. Lets say it close to Berrigan southern NSW. I dont want to give my exact secret place away Smile Can anyone tell me if gold has been found there before or with in say 20klms of the town. Your help would be much appreciated.

mickeymouse2000
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-10-05

Back to top Go down

possible new or forgotten gold area? Empty Re: possible new or forgotten gold area?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Mickeymouse2000 and welcome to the forum.
Here is your good friend to search for old articles, papers etc.
Have fun its a good start Smile

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

There is a section on this forum Informations about goldfields:
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/f13-information-on-goldfields

Explore it and post some questions there as well.
Good Luck

GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add a link)

Back to top Go down

possible new or forgotten gold area? Empty Re: possible new or forgotten gold area?

Post  getascripter Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:58 pm

G'day mickeymouse! Welcome to the forum Very Happy

In my opinion, quartz is one of the 'indicators' of gold. That is not to say that where you have quartz you will find gold ... it's a numbers game! But quartz is generally a strong indicator, especially if it's 'dirty' quartz ... has other minerals staining it!

Golden has pointed you in exactly the right direction for investigating any known activity in the area. Just because there is old diggings there is a pretty good indication that the old timers thought it was worth a lot of hard yakka to look!! They may have been mistaken ... but the amount of diggings that you find evidence of will soon tell you if they thought it was a waste of time ... or not!!

You will know if it's one of the 'forgotten' diggings by the amount of recent activity that you find there. ie detector holes, car tracks, modern 'junk' I know this is unfortunate, but you can use this rubbish to indicate how much activity the area has seen. If you are really lucky, all you will find will be your mate's shottie pellets. I would suggest that if this is on private property, and your contact has owned the property for some time, or it's been in his family etc, your chances of finding a "not thrashed" area are looking good.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down