Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracking down the gold

+3
hellhole
getascripter
deutran
7 posters

Go down

Tracking down the gold Empty Tracking down the gold

Post  deutran Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:51 am

Thought I would add some info on a technique I,m using lately to help those that might be struggling a bit.I notice a lot of people locally here spending a lot of time doing the hard yards covering new ground and having very limited success.
In order of most success in gold turning up for me would be:
1-Targeting the most likely elevation/ground appropriate to your location depending on the amount of erosion from the primary reefs or lodes.This boils down to knowledge of your area and is learnt from where gold is found or has been found the old timers were very good at this and reef workings,loaming holes,mullock heaps and rich clays around puddlers are a good indicator.By targeting the correct ground you greatly increase your chances of finding gold.
2-Think about the water flows and particularly the speed paying attention to areas where it may have slowed.It will have slowed where the alluvial gravels have built up usually where the river narrows or widens.Some old shallow gullies can be found with careful observations of the terrain that aren't obvious if you don't look properly.Water also slows if the slope angle changes.Also look for a change in direction of that water flow larger gold will be thrown outwards and over banks(I know they say to look on the inside where the water slows but this is not what I,ve found).
3-That first piece of gold means a lot more than most people think.It tells you the area has gold in it and it came from somewhere,carefull detecting and gridding will reveal more paying attention to missed spots and weathered areas.Just because an area was was detected over years earlier doesn't mean the landscape hasn't changed and revealed more gold.If you can home in on the run of gold and direction more will turn up.Old patches thought lost can be found.
4-Stay close to towns and roads.Towns were formed often on the best most productive areas and gold often turns up very close to roads
5-Research the most productive areas from the early miners as these will have shed into the surrounding areas often north/south.
6-Correct technique,low and slow is more important than the detector settings,the new generation of detectors are very good at finding gold.
7-Positive attitude and determination go along way and being confident that you are sure there is something there to find.

Good luck to all and hope this helps in your search.
Steve

Last edited by deutran on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Tracking down the gold Empty Re: Tracking down the gold

Post  getascripter Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks Steve ... all shared knowledge is "gold" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hellhole Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Cheers Steve for the helpfull tips Smile
Im still to find any gold atm, I went to Mt Momsen - Wolumla NSW & had a look around for 2hrs.
A lot of mine shafts going straight down seen at least 10, most of the bigger ones fenced off which is a good thing.

Found 5cents, 2 old bits of iron used in some sort of mining machinery & 2 coke cans, tried to target the stockpiles/tailings? I thought 1 of them was a hit for sure - was a clear signal with no iron when i hit my iron disc on my Garrett AT Gold & it said it was 20cm + deep i was keen as until i found a coke can.... I was put down cause it was so deep i though it was something but its the fun factor that matters.

What i want to know is: Are nuggets found any where gold is located or is it alluvial gold locations only? Not 100% sure about the alluvial thing.. The mines i looked at looked like veins they went under trees and very sharp & deep.

Cheers - Dane.

hellhole
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Dane
I have been to Wolumla and know the mines your talking about.Try the back of Pambula,tathra or Mogo.Tathra and Merimbula beaches are good value as well.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hellhole Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 pm

deutran wrote:Hi Dane
I have been to Wolumla and know the mines your talking about.Try the back of Pambula,tathra or Mogo.Tathra and Merimbula beaches are good value as well.
Steve

By beaches you mean jewlery/coin hunting? If so you read my mind lol cause i was planning that for the morning Laughing

hellhole
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post  King401 Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Fishing at Tathra Pier is 'gold' as well Smile Be back there in January. Can't wait

King401
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Dane
Try out on the flats at low tide around the swimming areas.There's always something good to find.
Gold nuggets have been found in your area but I can't elaborate on this,sorry.Its worth a trip to the triangle if you have time off you will increase your chances considerably.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  emilp Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm

thanks Steve for sharing that with us.
All the snippets help! Very Happy

cheers,
emilp
emilp
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 am

Good tips. Cheers Very Happy
Dannyboy
Dannyboy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Back to top Go down

Tracking down the gold Empty Re:Tracking Down The Gold

Post  the-A-man Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Deutran,r
Great information,thanks heaps. It goes to show real experience can prove to be different to the main stream of knowledge.
Cheers
the-A-man

the-A-man
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-11-30

Back to top Go down