Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite size and why?

+3
Out4Fun
archeoduo27
Beer Beeper
7 posters

Go down

What is your favorite size and why? Empty What is your favorite size and why?

Post  Beer Beeper Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:17 am

People have different Go-To coils that they use about 75% to 90% of the time. Yes it depends on size of the gold, easier pinpointing, the land terrain, coverage, obstacles or wide open, and soil depth. But many people have a favorite coil size they use most of the time.

Some love the 9 x 14 for everyday use, lots of people use the 12 x ?, and many others use the round 16 or the round 18.

We are not talking about what brand you prefer of the 3 manufacturers here, just and only sizes.

What and why is that particular size coil your first choice to use most of the time?

Also why don't you either use another coil size instead or why do you avoid other sizes?

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite size and why? Empty Re: What is your favorite size and why?

Post  archeoduo27 Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Round 14" regardless of brand. 14x9 if you are in scrub country.
DD/Mono choice depends on the ground and detector being used.

Cheers
Arch

archeoduo27
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite size and why? Empty Re: What is your favorite size and why?

Post  Beer Beeper Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for the input Arch!

Could someone else please take a shot at answering this post, even if it is just very, very briefly, in under 15 words or so.

Yes I know different tools(coils) for different jobs, BUT what is your favorite "overall", in coil size(s) you would like to have or you actively use about 75% to 90% of the time as a Go-To coil ??

For me, my personal "best of both worlds" size choices are the 12 x 24 and round 16.

I am affraid if I go any bigger to the round 18+ I am might be starting to miss--sacrifice small gold at depth.

Going to too small of a coil, ground coverage and larger nugget depth suffers. Too big of a coil, small gold depth suffers. Many people think a "best of both worlds"--compromise is the 9 x 14, as Arch and Granite use.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Out4Fun Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:59 pm

A short time back I got a new 14x9 mono coil and it became instantly my preferred coil. So far it was excellent in even detecting the smallest bit of gold - below0.1gr.

Wherever I go, I start out with that 14"coil first, before I switch to a e.g. 12" mono or 8" mono coil.

Cheers
Ralph
Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

I've got lots of coils, not sure which one i prefer, always changing them!

Back to top Go down

Post  burnie Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Coiltek Mini-UFO 10 x 17" Mono, this has been my number 1 coil since it was introduced, quite on my Extreme better still on the 4500.
Great depth and pinpointing and light to swing.
burnie

burnie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 pm

I like that coil too Burnie!

Bet you haven't got a white one, like mine. What is your favorite size and why? Icon_razz
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  outbackTom Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:09 pm

I've also got a range of coils to choose from. The 14x9" CM mono is on my detector 95% of the time. It's the coil I start with in most situations. I'm usually out detecting min of three days per week and spend 4 months in the west every year.
Cheers,
Tom

outbackTom
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite size and why? Empty favourite size and why

Post  Guest Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 pm

15x10 mono minelab super sensitive also 14" DD Pro coiltec round
Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite size and why? Empty what is your favourite size and why.

Post  Guest Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi All,
Snizentite,because... just because!!!!
Ron

Sorry, i couldn't resist!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey Beersie..
How goes it mate... Mine would have to be the Coiltek Goldstaker 14X9 Mono... cause its sudden death around here in the bush, sensitive and is a compromise between shallow small pieces and deeper targets....

Old DIG24K and I did some comparisons and it surprised me booming in at 33 inches deep on a 20oz target.. I even lifted the coil off the ground about 4 - 6 inches and had no problems hearing the response. In open country I love my 16inch N/F S/L Mono, nothing beats that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 pm

G day all
CT 14" round DD pro elite (the tan one).
This coil runs whisper quiet on my machine (2200v2) and good targets sound like good targets.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Sorry David, I just can't help myself Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Robert

PS 24 x 12 NF SL mono. VERY sensitive to small gold and VERY good at pinpointing.

Back to top Go down