Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 guys and a empty pan

Go down

3 guys and a empty pan Empty 3 guys and a empty pan

Post  Devo549 Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Hello All,
Myself and two mates have decided to have a crack at doing some panning and we are looking to gain a little advice.
We have got all the basic equipment ie: pans, sieves, miners rights etc.
as the only knowledge we have is from what we have read or seen on youtube we were hoping to get some advise from anyone who is willing help on where we should be trying.
we live in bacchus marsh victoria so obvious locations would be the ballarat and blackwood areas as they are close to home but were willing to travel north to the triangle or even up the north east of vic.

last weekend we ventured to creswick and had a go in slatey creek for about an hour before we got rained on and had to leave but we did find some colour (4 tiny specks)

obviously i dont expect any of you guys to mark the X on a map for us but if we could get some names of a few creeks and rivers that have had success in and that we could try our luck at that would be awesome. and as i mentioned before we are always up for a bit of a road trip and dont traveling a few hours if its worth it in the end.

Cheers Guys and Gals

Devo549
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

3 guys and a empty pan Empty Re: 3 guys and a empty pan

Post  Guest Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Before you go running off all around the state you might want to try and perfect your panning method!

Slatey creek is considered a good panning creek, move about to different locations etc!

Reedy Creek up Beechworth way is about the best you will ever get here in Victoria! So give it a go!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Devo549 Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys appreciate it. We have been practicing panning for the last month or so using lead sinkers, I was also passing through Ballarat 2 weeks ago and stopped off the gold exchange shop and managed to buy .5 gm of gold to also practice with. The three of us seem to be getting the hang of it now. And today I ventured to the miners den in Mitchum picked up a few maps of Ballarat region as well as blackwood.

Devo549
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down