Bitten by the bug

Go down

Bitten by the bug Empty Bitten by the bug

Post  SunnyBunny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi everyone,
Im new to detecting and just looking to make some friends and pick up any tips and advice.
Ive only been out three times so far, but now I cant even drive up the road without constantly
looking for areas to explore. The fact I dont own a detector as yet does not deter me lol.
Even though Im supposed to be hopeful in finding gold, Im more than happy to find nothing.
The enjoyment I get from walking through the bush and taking in all the history that surrounds
me, is well worth going home empty handed. Whatever I find is just an added bonus to my day.
Although I must say, I will be the next person to find a welcome stranger tongue
OOOhhhh that bug has me delirious already......
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Bitten by the bug Empty Re: Bitten by the bug

Post  kon61 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:33 pm

G'day SunnyBunny.

Now that's the spirit of a true prospector.Welcome to the Forum.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Bitten by the bug Empty Bitten by the bug

Post  GOLD TRACKER on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Welcome SunnyBunny.
Not a bad bug to have.
Cheers bren.
GOLD TRACKER
GOLD TRACKER
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Bitten by the bug Empty Bitten by the Bug

Post  AnnieL on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, SunnyBunny. Yep, its got a hellava bite !! Smile
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1033
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm

welcom to the forum mate hope you start swinging a coil soon
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks for the welcome guys :-)
Stoppsy...July 9th is the day i will take ownership of a GPX 4500.
13 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes, 40 seconds....but whos counting!
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 pm

welcome sunnybunny you have picked a great machine, I have had a detector a few years now but only recently join a club early this year. Learnt more in six months with club about the yellow stuff than previous 2 1/2 years by myself. Good luck with your machine when you get it.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks stilltrying, Im busting at the seams to get out there.
This club sounds inviting, wouldnt be near me by any chance?
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Gday SB,
You definately have the right attitude to start with,just enjoy the bush and the Gold will follow.
Here`s hoping Lady Luck will shine on you sunny
All the best
Adam Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Adam
Thanks for the welcome Smile
Im not expecting to find anything for at least 20 yrs lol.
I have no idea what im doing, but I dont care...so long as I get to dig something up!!
I get excited at a button, I think id actually faint it I found gold lol
All I need to shine on me is the sun (The rain seems to make the detector sing like a drowned cat), and Im a happy girl
Thanks again
sunny albino
Nicci
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:07 am

Gday

Welcome to the forum, I have always said that there are many more aspects to this hobby than finding gold and just being able to get out in the bush and investigate one place or another has great appeal, glad to hear that you enjoy digging rubbish as that is a big part of what you have to do in order to get some gold.

My theory on buried rubbish is that if theres still buried rubbish in a spot then theres still gold there as well, as short of digging everything up to see what it is there is no other way you can tell for sure, so theres always the chance that you will snag something worthwhile.

Other aspects of the hobby apart from the gold is the chance of finding other artifacts such as coins and relics and these days some of these items are highly sought after and very collectable, even buttons.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am

Hi StayyerAu,
I dont mind in the slightest if i find relics instead of gold. I actually think i prefer them!
Then again, I am yet to find gold, so im sure once ive found some, relics will be on the back burner lol.
I was all excited the other week with my "miniture horseshoe". The guys from coiltek told me that it was in fact
a roughly 150yr old "thing" off the bottom of old miners boots. So far thats my most interesting find, unfortunately
though I had no pleasure in getting to dig it up as it was just laying on the ground lol.
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mungass on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:45 am

Welcome "S" "B" , its a great pastime, but trust me the happy to find no gold will wear off, you have come to the right place for info, help and friendship,I have met some great people here and detected with likewise,bit spoilt startin out with a 4500 tongue tongue .when you find that first bit you will get a real hunger,apparently I ran around like I had been bitten by a snake !! anyway I have been bitten alright, enjoy your newfound hobby, cheers Jed Very Happy Very Happy
mungass
mungass
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Jed, thnx for the welcome :-)
Ive only been on here for a week maybe and have already met some great people. (well, conversed with them)
Hopefully I will get to meet some in person at some point.
Was looking to buy a 4000 to start with, but the machine Ive been hiring is a 4500. Getting a seconhand one, so
hopefully im not ripped off :-/
LOL @ the running round like uve been bitten by a snake. I think i should set up the video on the camera coz im more than
sure its going to be a hilarious sight the day I find my first piece lol
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 am

Gday

If you are buying a detector for the first time then it will be better for you to buy from a dealer, the reason I am saying this is because if you have any issues you can go straight back to them to sort it out, and usually you might pay a small amount more for it but at least you will know that they had tested it out and will give some warranty on it as well.

Sometimes when you are buying gear from say ebay or something you always have to take a bit of a punt as you are buying basically from the pics and description that the seller puts up, not all sellers will show their item warts and all, or tell you that acessory items such as batteries dont hold a charge, or a power cable is faulty, etc etc , you get the picture, so they good deal you think you are getting may not be so good after all, if you dont know much about detectors then you may not know what the correct questions are to ask.

Minelab machines are pretty tough, over the years I have owned many many minelabs and have had very little trouble and minimal outlay for repair costs to electronics in the control box, but all the issues I have had, have been with accessory items, usually power leads, batteries, switches, plugs, coils etc.

Also if you buy from a dealer you might get some spare bits and pieces as well, its pretty important to carry a spare battery and leads and that as they can let you down when you are out in the bush, but most people usually build up these things as they go and as they find what best suits them.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Sunnybunny I live in Maryborough so if I can help you in anyway just let me know
Cheers Wombat Wink

Management

Number of posts : 4662
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 pm

hi Wombat....thanks for the offer, im sure i will take you up on that!
StayyerAU.... Ive been hiring a detector from the guys at coiltek, so I thought id buy there too.
Was looking firstly to purchase a 4000, but seeing as the one ive been hiring is a 4500, thats what im going for.
Hopefully they dont take me for a ride, as it will be second-hand :-/ Thanks for all the info by the way, much appreciated :-)
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm

SunnyBunny wrote:hi Wombat....thanks for the offer, im sure i will take you up on that!
StayyerAU.... Ive been hiring a detector from the guys at coiltek, so I thought id buy there too.
Was looking firstly to purchase a 4000, but seeing as the one ive been hiring is a 4500, thats what im going for.
Hopefully they dont take me for a ride, as it will be second-hand :-/ Thanks for all the info by the way, much appreciated :-)

Gday

Yep that sounds like the way to go, better to buy something that you are familiar with, I am sure the coiltek guys will look after you but it does not hurt to do some research of your own and see what the going rate is, there are plenty coming up on ebay, gumtree, trading post etc so its easy to see whats what.

Wombat has also offered you his assistance, thats a kind gesture, and it will also put you a bit more at ease if you can have someone else experienced in detectors with you when you go in to buy one, four eyes are better than two if you know what I mean, its easy to have blinders on when you are effected by the gold bug cyclops.

The 4500's are hard to beat, another tip I can give you to help you along is to get Jonathan Porters dvds on the 4500 (The Gpx factor) they are well worth having and watching over and over again, its easier than reading the book initially and as you get more familiar with the machine more of the information in the manual will make sense to you as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyBunny on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 am

hi StayyerAU,
Ive been researching for the last 3 months, just made me more confused lol.
Im a bit wary of buying things like this from ebay, sure there are some great buys there,
but as I have no idea what im on about, thought best to stick with coiltek. They have
been really good and at least if something does or is wrong with it, I can take it back
as its just up the road.
Speaking of coiltek...i had better get up there today to see if they are going to have one available
for me next week!!!
Thanks again :-)
Nicci
SunnyBunny
SunnyBunny
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum