Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi everyone

+2
big fella
Maestro
6 posters

Go down

Hi everyone Empty Hi everyone

Post  Maestro Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:15 am

I'm new to the forum and am mighty impressed with the quality of information given and the generous spirit with which it has been given..Kudos to you all sunny
There's a lot of reading here for me !.
I don't do a lot of prospecting due to demands on my time so I'm still using a SD2100 with amplified speakers and can't justify spending big $ for a detector I don't have the time use a lot.
The old SD still does the trick as does my pan so I'm a contented critter atm and maybe I'll find more time for gold hunting when I finish my house renovations and reduce my music commitments.
I'm in Chewton so if you are in the area and see someone detecting within 300 meters of a Subaru Forester in the bush it will probably be me... I don't bite so don't be afraid to come over and say Hi. Smile

Iain

Maestro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone Empty Re: Hi everyone

Post  big fella Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:21 am

G'Day
Welcome to the forum,you say you don't bite is that at the end of your 300 metre leed,just jokeing.
Big Fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum Iain.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "Going Blind with spelling")
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone Empty Hi everyone

Post  GOLD TRACKER Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome Maestro.
New to the forum myself great info top people best forum on the net.
Cheers Bren
GOLD TRACKER
GOLD TRACKER
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone Empty Hi Everyone

Post  AnnieL Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Welcome Iain. I'm relatively new to the forum too. Lots to read.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm

welcom to the forum hope to see some pix of some finds soon
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone Empty welcom from another newbie as wel.

Post  pipeclay Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Ian,

I have just joined the forum as well. I am still using a 2200 and find it more than capable. I was down Chetwon way a couple of months ago and was sad to see the servo come cafe had burnt down - the one across the road from the oval. It is a lovely spot down your way. I have spent some time down at Porcupine Ridge with a few smaller finds - gram sugbgram, but have seen some reasonable gold from there. I must admit I would never venture down there/up those ridge lines in summer - nowhere to run to in a fire. I walked along one of the water runs the old timers had dug in - incredible!! (Sailors Gully???) I don't have my maps handy but it was about 5km long with a couple of old huts along the route. I also found a few Chinese coins and some really small throw outs around the east of Butchers Gully/Adelaide Hill, just south of the railway line ( enter via Henry St - not marked as such on Tullys maps). Very quiet ground but lots of rubbish - close to town I guess. The discriminator on the 2200 earnt its keep that day.

Good luck to you and your endeavours.

Greg
pipeclay
pipeclay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Maestro Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks for your warm welcomes. Very Happy

Pipeclay...the servo/general store has been rebuilt and open for business again.
The ridge lines are pretty rugged out the back here..they are hard enough to navigate in cool weather let alone in the heat of summer...I'm getting too old to crawl up steep inclines on my hands and knees...I'd rather crawl to the pub on a hot day.
As far as fire goes...well Chewton is very vulnerable and I'd be heading underground cause there are no safe havens around the area and the roads would be unpassable...even the local reservoir (Golden Point) would be useless...you'd get cooked from the radiant heat coming off the steep hills. affraid
You are assured of plenty of junk targets around here cause there were tens of thousands of miners here in the rush for easy alluvial gold and it seems they all threw their junk into the bush.
The easy gold is long gone and what is found now are the little bits that were overlooked and bits left in the ironstone/quartz reefs that were exposed as part of the surfacing works.

I know the area you mentioned...just up the road from me and where I went shooting as a kid 50 years ago...pity we didn't have detectors then eh !...could have been picking up gold instead of leaving spent bullets to find years later lol.

Stoppsy...you are a monster with your detector...what an inspiration to anyone new at the game !...I hope to meet you one day...I hope to meet many of you people one day.

If anyone is visiting Chewton fling me a PM and see if we can meet up....even if it's only at the pub after your hard days detecting.

Maestro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum