Waterproofing Coils

Go down

Waterproofing Coils Empty Waterproofing Coils

Post  gavinharriss on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi,

I have a little Joey Coiltek 250mm Mono coil that I use a lot in the water here in NZ. I don't believe these are designed to be water proof, but it looks like the person I bought it off simply used silicon seal around the wire on the coil end. Seems to work great.

My concern is that I've just been on a prospecting trip to Oz and as a result the coil had been tightly packed in my luggage with probably a bit more flexing than usual where the silicon seal was applied and it looks a little worse for wear as a result. So I'd like to re-waterproof the coil before I next hit the streams...

Any suggestions to the best ways to waterproof the coil? When I remove the lead is there anything I should apply around the pin area, etc? I'll apply some new silicon seal also.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Gavin
gavinharriss
gavinharriss
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.paydirt.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Waterproofing Coils Empty Re: Waterproofing Coils

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 am

Hi Gavin
Just a thought? what about a neat fitting long heavy duty clear plastic bad with clips up the shaft of the detector, you can get or order them in all shapes and sizes.
..-86

Back to top Go down

Post  gavinharriss on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Cheers 86 - good idea. I use plastic bags over the control box when it decides to rain but reckon a bag over the coil won't last too long as a lot of bush bashing to get in to spots and once in gorges as often need to climb up sides and around deep spots too deep to wade. The ones over the control box get a hammering, usually get through a few Razz

Feel a bit more confident if actual coil is waterproof.

Interesting enough - went to replace the coil tape as getting a bit ragged and found that whoever I bought the detector off seems to have glued the skid plate to the bottom. Can't get it off and given up in case I break it. Not sure what they must have been thinking!?
gavinharriss
gavinharriss
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Gavin,
These little Joey coils are great for the tight areas and can take a little submersion in shallow water but if the strain relief area is compromised then I would suggest cleaning the area thoroughly to remove any dust/dirt buildup and then re-apply a good amount of silicone to the whole strain relief area.

First, untighten the strain relief from its base and then clean off any old silicone and dust. When we assemble these coils we do place silicone sealant around the gland in the base to improve its ability to resist water.

Once cleaned, with the coil on a bench, add some silicone to the threaded area of the base of the strain relief and bring the top section of the strain relief down to tighten onto the base. Do this up finger tight plus one turn with a spanner. You can then apply more silicone around this area pressing it in between the curls of the strain with your finger. Of course let it dry for at least 24 hrs.

I have also seen some people wrap this area with a self amalgamating tape after the silicone which seals it all up.

I believe this may be the best way to get your coil back to some work in the wet but it might not be as good as our fully water proof coil, the 12x8" Platypus coil which is available in DD or MONO. This coil is fully waterproof and can hold its breath for a very long time Very Happy

I hope this may help and good luck
Regards,
Trevor
Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Waterproofing Coils Empty waterproofing coils

Post  tirp56 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm

hi mate the skid plate on the bottom of the coil is glued on using silicon,if you are very careful,you can slide a very flexible thin bladed filleting knife between the skid plate and the bottom of the coil,and slice through the silicon,it then becomes optional whether or not you replace the silicon,hope this helps allan

tirp56
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  gavinharriss on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the most excellent and detailed advice - very much appreciated! It's indeed and excellent little coil and has done me prod so far I'm glad to say. I have been playing with the idea of picking up another coil so I'll take a good look at the Platypus breath-holding options Wink

@trip56 - I didn't realise they came silicon sealed on as standard. Only trouble with buying things pre-loved... never sure if that's factor default or someone's mods. Cheers for filling me in! Smile

Cheers,
Gavin
gavinharriss
gavinharriss
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Gavin. Dectecting in water is interesting idea. Could you do a post about how you go about it please ? You might expand our ideas. How do you recover targets in water? I find it hard enough on land.! cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gavinharriss on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 pm

No worries - will do when I have a little time to kill.

Must admit I quite often chuck the coil in a deep likely looking spot, get a signal then think to myself "damn, I'm gonna have to try and dig that now!" Razz

One bit of kit that is invaluable is an underwater viewfinder - just a bit of pvc pipe with a glass lens glued in one end.
gavinharriss
gavinharriss
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Waterproofing Coils Empty plastic bag

Post  Mdgainford on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

can you just put a plastic bag over coil head to make water proof if the grass and weeds are wet cherry
Mdgainford
Mdgainford
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Stinky Pete on Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi guys

The worry of water proofing is over.
The range of coils for the SD,GP,GPX from Detech are all fully waterproof
And we have a good range in stock in Australa the latest edition being 11x6 mono

Regard stinky

Stinky Pete
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum