Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil

Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty How good is the Commander 11" mono coil

Post  goldquest Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Hello everyone, I'm doing a research and I need your help.
I would like to know how many of you use the Commander 11 "mono coil that comes standard with the GPX 4500/5000, which is the biggest nugget that you have found with this coil and at what depth. Also some personal comments on this coil. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty Re-how-good-is-the-commander-11-mono-coil

Post  Guest Sun May 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Gday Goldquest I have only used it once on the 5000 does work well but I found it to heavy so went back to the coiltek 9"x14" Goldstalker.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty Re: How good is the Commander 11" mono coil

Post  goldquest Mon May 14, 2012 11:20 am

Mike54 wrote:Gday Goldquest I have only used it once on the 5000 does work well but I found it to heavy so went back to the coiltek 9"x14" Goldstalker.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Thank you Mike54, I agree with you, about the performance I don't think there's much difference, what do you think?
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty Re: How good is the Commander 11" mono coil

Post  Guest Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Goldquest,
Its my favorite coil so far (in few months detecting).
Found most of the gold with it.The biggest piece so far is 2.35g.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty Re:-how-good-is-the-commander-11-mono-coil

Post  Guest Thu May 17, 2012 11:26 pm

G'day Goldquest sorry I have not answered you question I would say there wouldn't be a lot of difference in the performance, I think the Eliptical coil maybe a little more sensitive due to the narrow shape of the toe and heal.
Hope this helps. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 7:46 am

goldquest wrote:Hello everyone, I'm doing a research and I need your help.
I would like to know how many of you use the Commander 11 "mono coil that comes standard with the GPX 4500/5000, which is the biggest nugget that you have found with this coil and at what depth. Also some personal comments on this coil. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest

Gday

I have used this coil a lot on the gpx4500 and can tell you without doubt its an exceptional coil on this machine, its one of the coils I still use a lot and I primarily swap between it and the nuggetfinder 14" mono, depending on the ground conditions, this coil will find deep sub gram nuggets in the worst ground but you have to tune in to it, its not as sensitive as an eliptical coil and it wont be as its a round coil, but I have found many sub gram bits that barely register on the scales and have found many larger 9-15 gram bits and specimens up to 25 grams with it.

If you cant handle the weight of bigger coils then its a good all round compromise as you definately wont miss much with it, I compared it with my nuggetfinder 14x9 and found that the nf was more sensitive but also more prone to ground noises, the 11" commander mono can definately match the 14x9 for outright depth but has the advantage of similar sensitivity but could better handle the hotter ground allowing me to better hear deep small pieces.

If you look back through the forum comments re coils, you will find many people commenting on what a good coil it is and how well it works on the gpx4500, I dont use a gpx5000 so I cant comment on it, but I would imagine that it would work just as well on that as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 am

Our best nugget with 11" mono comander and a 4500 was 8.13 grams (flat oval shaped pendent piece) at 21" deep including 6" + of caprock. Took 3 and half hrs to get through caprock. Hard as concrete. Cold chisel and 6 lb hammer and crowbar. WA detecting
This coil is our choice except when patch finding.
In tassy has been best choice as well finding bits that only just register on .01gram scales. lots of flycrap bits over here.
travelergold

will add that signal was a good signal on this nugget in one direction and when turning 90 deg and going over target area was then barely hearable. most signals we go over in two directions as it does alter what you hear before digging. When we find patch also we also chain in 2 directions and always pick up more bits

Last edited by travelergold on Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addel last paragraph)

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Thu May 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Thank you guys for your help, I never used my 11" mono that comes with the detector, from now on I definitely will.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 pm

A 39g at Hill End NSW....15"deep.
How good is the Commander 11" mono coil P1020846
23" on a small brass cog...21" on an old penny....18" on the snake buckle that many have in their collection...thats just to name a few items.

The 11" is a must have coil....especially for beginners. It will break you in and teach you how to use a mono coil in terms of pin-pointing and target recovery, teaching you the finer points of the round mono coils for when you up size.
So many folks still have problems pin-pointing with round coils......are you one of them????

Iv been using the same 11" mono on my 3000/4000 and now the 4500.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Thu May 24, 2012 11:33 pm

g,day guys, i use the 11" coil on the 5k only after ive found a patch and the sooner i can buy the 12" nugget funder the sooner i can use the 11" coil down the beach as a frizbie, this coil was recalled and im sure it was sent back to me without it being looked at, i have 2 other nf coils and they are great also the 18" commander which i have no problems with, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty Re:-how-good-is-the-commander-11-mono-coil

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 11:41 pm

G'day Snapper I would take it back to the dealer you got it from and explain to them what's wrong with it they should be able to send it back to M/L for you.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 pm

g,day mike hope your enjoying WA as much as me, the 11" has been back once and if they cant do the job right the first time then they wont get a second chance as im not so forgiving these days, id take more pleasure using it at target practice, i might even open it up and try fix it myself as then ill know somone tried to fix it, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 am

G'day Stu they usually send you a new coil back as I had coiltek 14"x9" Goldstalker that was faulty and sent it back and they replaced it with a new one. Yes we are having a pretty good time over here, been getting some gold and enjoying the weather but has been getting a bit chilly at night now. We are going to head further north soon. Which area are you at and how long you over here for.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 am

Coupled to the 4500 the Commander Mono is one of the most useful coils ever developed. Runs smooth, handles mineralisation very well. When chaining it is the preferred coil finding gold down to 0.08g feel sure it would sniff out even smaller bits if walked over. Have never measured depth of holes with a tape however one 11g was in a knee deep hole dug through creek side conglomerate.
Stu, don't give up on this coil because you believe it is useless, as mentioned take it too your dealer and ask them to talk to Minelab. Had problems with a 3500 and returned it twice to Minelab, it still played up when returned. Then went back to Bernd & Petra when they had Reed's Prospecting. After receiving a bit of a dressing down from Bernd for not coming to him first a new box came to my door Express Post from Minelab two days later. Problem solved. cheers cheers

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2626
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Narrawa wrote:A 39g at Hill End NSW....15"deep.
How good is the Commander 11" mono coil P1020846
23" on a small brass cog...21" on an old penny....18" on the snake buckle that many have in their collection...thats just to name a few items.

The 11" is a must have coil....especially for beginners. It will break you in and teach you how to use a mono coil in terms of pin-pointing and target recovery, teaching you the finer points of the round mono coils for when you up size.
So many folks still have problems pin-pointing with round coils......are you one of them????

Iv been using the same 11" mono on my 3000/4000 and now the 4500.
Hi Narrawa, yes I am one of them!!! do you have any advise how to pinpoint with a round coil?
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Narrawa, yes I am one of them!!! do you have any advise how to pinpoint with a round coil?
Cheers
Goldquest

Something easily shown, but not explained.
Assuming your using a round mono.....(any size)....place a mark on the front tip of the coil, this is more of a visual/audible exercise for retrieving the target from your tailings.
If the target is still in the ground...and its at depth...this method is null and void.This scenario uses more of the coils center then the edge technique until you have it in your tailings.

Use the mark on the coils front tip to find the loudest response...divide your tailings into smaller piles to speed up recovery.

The faster you learn how to pin-point correctly...the more time you'll spend swinging the coil looking for the next target or next bit of gold. Time spent wasted on trying to pin-point is time wasted no matter how you look at it....and its your time. Wink

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

How good is the Commander 11" mono coil Empty How good is the Commander 11" mono coil

Post  sandy2010 Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Snapper (and others).....what were the symptoms of the faulty coil you bought ???
Also were the coils that were recalled in a serial number range ?
Thanks.

Last edited by sandy2010 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Omitted second part of question.)

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:16 am

[quote="goldquest do you have any advise how to pinpoint with a round coil?
Cheers
Goldquest[/quote]

Hi there Goldquest, Get a pin point probe. Will save you a lot of time from digging deeper when the target ends up being in the side wall of your hole.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1831
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 am

Thank you all for the comments, I definitely I'll try the 11 "coil, up to now I always used elliptic coils.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Goldquest, The 11" commander mono is a great coil but both round coils & elliptical coils have there advantages depending on the terrain you are detecting in. Pays to have both.

Good luck out there.

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1831
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 am

Hi Sandy, sorry for the late reply, yes the 11" minelab coils that were recalled were within a serial range, this coil falses on everything it touches, grass, sticks, leaves, if you touch a rock or bump against a small shrub anything, its painfully slow detecting as i have to check every false signal to make sure its not hiding a real signal, i took the advice of some people on this forum and sent it back to minelab and it came back with a letter stating that they found no problems with the coil, well im heading out bush for a week and will try this coil again but im not holding my breath as i would think that if its been sent back TWICE it would have at least been opened and looked at as well as tested but it hasnt been looked at with EYEBALLS as it still has my black tape around it, i would think that you would have to take the tape and cover off to pull it apart, ill let you know how it went but im not happy that all they have done is probably put it on some machine and passed some indoor test, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum