Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detector for the missus

+3
Ash100456
waznme
pilbarachad
7 posters

Go down

Detector for the missus Empty Detector for the missus

Post  pilbarachad Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Been thinking for a while about getting a detector for the missus. I want something cheap (not sure how much use it will get), light, easy to use, and oh yeah its gotta find less gold than my Extreme (or ill never hear the end of it Razz ).

Ive been thinking about heading down the dreaded VLF path with something like an x-terra 705, eureka or a gold bug 2. Im quite aware of the limitations of VLF (less depth,can be noisy etc) but hear they can be real good on the tiny stuff closer to the surface that anything pre 5000 may have missed.

Any one used any of the above detectors (or any similar) in NW WA? Did you do any good or are they a complete waste of time up here?

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Detector for the missus Empty Re: Detector for the missus

Post  waznme Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:50 pm

pilbarachad wrote:........................................................................................................................... and oh yeah its gotta find less gold than my Extreme (or ill never hear the end of it Razz ).

I reckon if it is not at least as good as what you are using, you are headed for trouble. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Guess what will be said whenever you find Gold and she doesn't? Wink

Waz
waznme
waznme
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Yep have to agree with waznme, equal or dont even bother going there !
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  lbg dreamer Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Well I have to agree about getting her a equal detector, or maybe a gpx 5000 and you could use it. When she isn't , Very Happy and if she finds more than you she will be always keen to go for a swing lol!
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Unless you are pretty sure the ground she will be covering is not going to produce, why would you want to put her at a disadvantage......everything thats hers is yours dont forget Very Happy
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Detector for the missus Empty Re:Detector for the missus

Post  goldfather Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi there Pilbarachad, Yes I think it's the go . I got my misus a x-Tera705 and it has a gold mode. Tests ok to 150mm on gold (1.9grm) target berried. Also a good beach machine as it comes with a waterproof coil. It has good discrimination as well and can be used as backup for ferrus and non ferrus targets that are difficult to destinguich with mono coils. You could probably get one for under $1000 secondhand. Good little machine.
as to giving her the best machine, she will soon tire of digging all targets, so you can ask her to check your targets for trash or treasure and that will give her some sence of participation ..HeHeHe.. lol!
regards
Goldfather
goldfather
goldfather
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ringpull Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I reckon it's gota be at least as good as yours, otherwise you might have to get used to a life of celibacy.
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Detector for the missus Empty Re-Detector for the missus

Post  Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi guys,
My missus always gets my handmedown do not get to much flack she usually finds more than I do haha
Cheers mike. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. Unfortunately im already use to a life of celibacy Sad , so thats a non issue here Very Happy .

Thanks for the info about the x terra goldfather, just not sure if its going to work aswell up here as it does down there for you though?? Im guessing the mineralisation would be a lot worse up this way.

Any way there doesnt seem to be much of a response from people who have tried them up here, so that probably answers my question and means im better of with an older minelab PI.

Well im not in any rush to get something for her so i guess ill just take my time, research some more and see what happens.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down