Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Shoulders

+2
detectoraid
seb1008
6 posters

Go down

Bad Shoulders Empty Bad Shoulders

Post  seb1008 Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 am

Hello, Hoping for some advise from anyone using a minelab with shoulder problems.
I have shoulders that give me a good bit of pain, probably Bursitus, but before I spend a lot of money on an expensive detector I am wondering how the Hip Stik helps. Also would making a chest harness be an option for say a GP3500 and also use a hip stik? Thank you, Seb

seb1008
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Bad Shoulders Empty Re: Bad Shoulders

Post  detectoraid Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am

The HipStick is the way to go.

If you don't like it I'll refund your purchase!

Just be sure to get the real thing.

Cheers,
Chris Porter
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Seb,

I always try to jump in whenever questions about the HipStick come up.
This little invention has changed detecting for many people with physical conditions
that otherwise would not be able to detect in relative comfort.

I whole-heartedly recommend that you try one out.

There are other threads on this forum what have other people's opinions of it as well;
For instance:

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t502-the-hipstick

best of luck,
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

G'day seb1008

They do work well, been using one for years now, first got it when I had a GPX4000 and now use it on my GPX4500

Its the best way I know of to keep sore shoulders and sore backs away when swinging a detector all day.

Take detectoraid up on his offer "If you don't like it I'll refund your purchase!" but make sure you buy if from a detector shop that sells the genuine ones and not the fake ones on eBay.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes to all of the above,they are a great invention as they transfer the weight to the hips.Also look at balancing your machine.Extra pressure can arise if you are constantly fighting with your bungee.
Hang your machine by its bungee,the weight should have a bias towards the coil.Adjust the knuckle along the stem to achieve this.If the bias of the weight is at the machine end you will be finding that extra effort is required to push the machine away from you.Play with it till you find a balance that works for you.Heavy duty bungee cords can also cause problems.If using a lightweight coil use lighter weight bungee cord.Minelab harnesses are not brilliant and are badly designed.Look at alternatives.
Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  seb1008 Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Thank you for your responses about the hip stik. I will buy one from detectoraid as I have seen the plans on how to make one but my shoulders are the biggest issue about my 4 month trip to Alaska prospecting that I am not about to screw around and not get the best I can for my shoulders. Now I need to find a Gp3000 or 3500 in good condition. Also would it help to chest mount the control box, or is this not needed when using the hip stik?
Seb

seb1008
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:20 pm

In addition to the Hip stick , an extra handle reduces the load on elbows and shoulders at the critical starting and stoping ends of each swing.
There is a bit more pivoting required down your back , but it works well for me and others I detect with
I made up my own handle but there are several good commercial versions . Mine swivels at the lower end , but my missus prefers the type that clamps to the upper stem .
The hip stick ball end needs to be worn closer to the buckle area of your belt with this setup .
Main downside is when digging lots of holes the handle can be in the way if fixed , but with a flexible joint it can be swung over to the main detector side freeing up your digging hand.
If the dectector was chest mounted it would interfer with the hip stick.
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:07 pm

The issues with chest mounting (that I have).
1. Not all coils have a long enough coil cable to work comfortably.
2.The detector can sense the relative cable movement when using the larger then stock coils.
3. Having it on your chest makes the process of waving scoops of dirt over the coil to isolate a target a pain as that big hunk of metal (the control box)is now very close to the coil.
The best way is just try different methods and find what works for you.
I do know one person here in the states, Digger Bob, that chest mounts his. But I think he takes it off to dig. I could be wrong tho.
At time my RSI flares up and the only thing that works is taking frequent breaks.
Hope you find a way that works well for you and let's you enjoy this great hobby!
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi, Re hip stick,
My wife has a frozen shoulder and could not detect until we got a hip stick. We also worked out that to help her more we lengthened the mount at the top where it clips onto your harness. We got a bit of fence wire and put a loop in both ends so the loops from end to end was about 5" long. That alowed the hip stick to hang out further from the harness so that she did not have to physically push out the detector when swinging it. Then all she had to do was swing it and once you start to swing it, the detector seems to do all the work. I have also done the same on my detector. The only downfall is that the harness after a while slowly pulls a bit scewiff but can be adjusted by adjusting length of bungy cord until it settles into a spot. The hipstick still takes all the weight and the extra lenght does not in any way alter the way it works.
While in WA a few people saw what we had done and tried the same trick and they were also impressed.
If you are not sure if you will be able to operate a detector try one before purchasing or rent one and try for a weekend first. The hipstick should be part of the detector when it is purchased.
Cheers travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 pm

seb1008 wrote:Hello, Hoping for some advise from anyone using a minelab with shoulder problems.
I have shoulders that give me a good bit of pain, probably Bursitus, but before I spend a lot of money on an expensive detector I am wondering how the Hip Stik helps. Also would making a chest harness be an option for say a GP3500 and also use a hip stik? Thank you, Seb
I've got arthritis in the AC joint's so I take 2 capsules of fish oil daily and 2 capsules of Glucosamine with Chondroitin, it was like a miracle cure for me, I couldn't swing a detector or work without it, using a hip stick helps as well.
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 am

seb1008 wrote:Hello, Hoping for some advise from anyone using a minelab with shoulder problems.

Gday

The hipstick is the way to go for sure, and it will make a big difference for you, I have issues with my right shoulder and pretty much put it down to something like RSI (repetative strain injury) many years of swinging coils, and I have found that the hipstick does the job and stops the familiar gnawing pain that I usually get after a short time of detecting.

There is one trade off however, the hipstick transfers the weight from the shoulders to the hips, particularly of course whichever side you have the stick mounted, I can also get some hip aches and pains but I put this down to old farts syndrome, wear and tear, so if you have any hip issues then you may experience some aches and pains but having said that it is a lot less of a discomfort than when the pain sets in the shoulders.

Some people make up a strap to go between the the two front straps on the harness and then attach the bungy to the centre so that it evens the weight out between the shoulders, this works ok but you still tend to pull one way off course as you carry the detector to the side, even with the hipstick you will need to experiment with the adjustments, so as to have the coil just basically floating just above the surface of the ground and the weight of the detector evenly balanced, if you get it right you wont have any weight on your shoulder and all you have to do is to move the coil from side to side.

One other option is the arm that attaches to the detector, some I have seen are called the "swingy thingy" or something like that, its a length of plastic tube that attaches to the detector usually with the same sort of plastic mount that anchors your bungy cord and on the other end it has a handgrip, so your effectively holding the detector on say your right hand and the control arm in the left hand, the weight of the detector is still on your bungy at the right side but you can do the swinging with your left arm and just support it with the right, they are a common set up on big petrol brush cutters and you have probably seen the type of thing already.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:27 am

Hi all,
Am a firm believer in the double loop and central bungy.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  seb1008 Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:15 pm

I really appreciate all of the positive responses. My shoulder pain is repetitive motion also. Painting for the last year with no chance to give it a rest. Only relief was once monthly steroid shot. But only 2 more weeks until I am laid of and then I can give it a rest until I go to Alaska in April and prospect. I just put a down payment on a one owner used GPX 4000 today after the hope you all have given me.
Nightjar, what is the double loop and central bungy?
dryblower, Do you have a link or picture of this? I remember saving an article some years ago from a fellow that had pictures but all of that information was lost.
HOBO'S Gold, Yes I also use those along with MSM and DMSO rubdowns on it along with an herb tea made from burdock root, ginger, turmeric, cats claw, devils claw, and one other type I forgot three times a day which I believe is helping but since I have too re injure it every day at work I am not sure yet.
detectoraid, could you PM me with info on how to get a Hip Stik from you?
So again thank you and when I get the GPX4000 and hip stik I will try all the advice you have given me.

Seb

seb1008
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:09 pm

http://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/easy-swing-arm/

Hi seb. Just noticed your request. Sorry I am a bit of a novice in the posting of pics onto the site , but maybe the above link will work .
Its a " Easy swing arm " supplied by Reeds Prospecting in Perth.
They clamp to the bottom of the upper stem so they can be pushed and pulled to start and stop the coil swing .
Mine is similar , with a bit more length and a standard Minelab handle and armrest added. If the arm from Reeds is the same size as a lower coil stem
a standard detector upper stem should slide over it. (carbon fibre would be the lightest ) You may find the handle on its own is ok as is. I find the extra armrest helps controll the heavyier coils when working in bushy country
Next time I am in Reeds I will check them out
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum