Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beach gold

5 posters

Go down

Beach gold Empty Beach gold

Post  mogy Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 pm

I do all my gold panning here in GB , mostly Scotland these days , joined your forum recently , realy impressed , loads of information here, anyway Ive been to Oz several times , did some detecting and was introduced to panning there , I stayed in Karatha for a week on my first trip, this was fifteen plus years ago , before I got the gold bug and sadly didnt do any detecting there . With so many gold bearing areas does any come on the shore line ? Ive never seen any mention of aluvial gold found on a beach , so much gold so much coast , surely gotta happen somewhere ?

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Beach gold Empty Re: Beach gold

Post  flying kiwi Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:38 pm

hey mate welcome to the forum Very Happy

i have detected gold on the beach at karratha Cool , the stuff tends to always head to the lowest point.
, have also seen some clips on youtube of yanks slucing gold on the beach in alaska, i know the old timers used to get gold off a blacksand beach in the west coast of the south island of new zealand propably in other places as well

flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  mogy Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Ive seen the sluicing on the beech at nome on You Tube as well , there seems to be huge amounts of black sand there to contain the gold , bit diferent to the shore line around Karatha , I didnt see any obvious land erosion where I had explored but if it ocours could well imagine the sea concentrating any deposits, I will get back one day , next time with an apropriate detector.

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 am

Hi, heard years ago of gold on Dromana beach here in Melbourne if thats any help
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickie Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

shiraz wrote:Hi, heard years ago of gold on Dromana beach here in Melbourne if thats any help

Now there will be a rush to Dromana..... lol!
Brickie
Brickie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:27 pm

The old timers did dig for gold , on the beach, near Tilba Tilba on the south coast of NSW.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:34 am

Gday

I cant see any reason why gold wouldnt be found on a beach in some areas, as far as Dromana goes I wish I had heard of that when I was living over there.

At Karratha there is an area north of the town , Nickol bay/river where gold is found out on the tidal salt flats, you can clearly see the quartz reefs running out on to the flats, the tide has washed into the land and eroded large areas of it away and carried gold out on to the flats, an old bloke told me that when he was up that way in the early days, they used to walk out on to the flats as far as they could and then walk in detecting along before the tide.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down