not giving up

Go down

not giving up Empty not giving up

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:33 pm

i know i was going to do the same as some others...giving up detecting... it does take time to know your detector and once you have it worked out it's worth it. i have spent some time helping some people to find just that one bit and it has worked, i get realy happy to see there look on there face knowing that i helped them to find it and they have that look of wonting to find more. i'm not saying that i'm a great at detecting but i show them the stuff i know and try to get them on there way. i'v seen people sell there detectors and not seeing them getting back into it as things just wasn't working out in the fields, but they just have to keep at it. sometimes it can just not be the right spot picked . gold is where you find it... i just would like to say to the people who are just starting out that you might not find gold on your 1st few outings but it's the fun of the chase.

you might only find the small bits off gold but it all adds up in the end, and you have to think that some people would be happy just to find something like that. i wont go on but just keep at it guys oneday you'll find a few bits and then before you know it you'll be selling a few grams or even a few ounces...but you have to stick at it to make it happen DON'T GIVE UP..
cheers
stoppsy....

Back to top Go down

not giving up Empty Re: not giving up

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Gday

Well said stoppsy, this looking for gold is very much an effort based pastime, and everything is relevant to the amount of time spent in the field and the effort you expend, nothing good is ever free as we all know so you have to reason that it will take time to develope your skills and your knowledge base.

Eventually with time and patience you will go from finding the odd piece to being able to do reasonably well each time you go out, and as your confidence level and skill with a detector increases you will simply know that you can find gold if it is there to find, mindset can play a huge part in success or failure.

For some it takes longer than others, and sometimes a newby will score a large piece first time out, but most people wont and it will take some time before they do score their first large piece, any gold is good gold irrelevant of the size, and one of the first bits of advice I would give anybody starting out is to forget about the glory nuggets and concentrate on getting whatever you can, its a far better feeling to go home with even small nuggets than it is to go empty handed.

If you make the gold the only reason that you are out there, then you will miss out on all the other benefits of being in the bush and will of course be dissapointed and start thinking about giving it away, make the gold finding secondary and just go with the flow.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:01 am

hey stayyerAU, thanks for the input mate, when i was thinking off giving up it was a bit of different reason. there's a member off the forum that i get along with very well and loved been out there with them and showing them all my little tricks off finding gold. when i got an email off them saying they are going to give up i was shocked, i didn't know what to say but trying to get them to stay at it. i'm hoping that i can get them to stay doing this hobby, and i'm going to keep trying to get them to come out now and then with me just to keep them going, as i don't wont them to give up.

there was a great amount of forum members telling me not to give up when i was chucking it in,. so i hope i can do the same for this member and others.. once you have your ears tuned in you'll be shocked at what you can find it all takes time...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmuss78 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:06 am

A good topic stoppsy and stayer, you both make some very good points.
from my relative newbie perspective, a detecter can be a very difficult piece of equipment to understand. I can see how easy it would be to quite detecting,

the problem as i see it is that you need experience to understand what settings to use on any given day/location and it can be very difficult to get your detector to run quiet at times without dumbing it down to relatively useless levels. so how to get this experience?. Ive found it great to ask heaps of questions here, so thanks heaps to everyone who has helped me out, but you still need to get out and apply that knowledge.

you can go out with someone, but really that will only help you with basics, a good start , but as i see it you must spend a lot of time with a test piece/pieces and just try to understand what all the settings on your detector do. I spent a lot of trips being disturbed by ground noise, digging massive amounts of targets, like 100 plus ground noises per day, could there be anything more depressing? I also thought it was broken many times it was making so many different noises, but emi and settings were to blame. i also wasnt told about the importance of ground balance too, so that didnt help.

Its not easy, but hope people stay with it, as that first bit of gold is an amazing experience

goldmuss78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:55 am

G'day Fellas,
People come and go for all sorts of reasons and the same applies to gold prospecting.
I know of one fella who after getting a 4500 he wanted some settings for his new toy and was ready to find $20K of gold nuggets on his first week. He stuck at it for 3 trips, found only junk and gave it all in. There are people out there who dream how much they will find and the hard reality of finding a gold nugget hits them and they throw in the towel as it's a different story out in the goldfields.
This is just one reason out of many, so there are people that try it out and make a decision if they want to continue detecting or not.
It's the nature of things of us Humans. sunny

UB

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:13 am

well i have been wet prospecting for around 10 years on and off , in this period of time i have not even found half an ounce but then to me its not all about finding gold.
its more about getting out into nature and enjoying it and having fun with friends , family and mates.
i always find a little bit every time i go out and thats enough to keep me happy.
if the day comes i find some good amounts then that would be good to but wont change a thing , i think people should look at it more as a hobby and not a get rich quick thing.
if you enjoy the out doors and spending time with friends with finding gold as a bonus then it is some thing you shouldnt give up on.

just my 2 cents worth

Rustydog
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:25 am

Well said Fellas,
When I first started detecting,it was about 230 hrs till I got my first piece.Averaging about 12-14hrs detecting a weekend, that works out to be around 38 days without success! Shocked
Lucky my gold pan was keeping me sane,and i could at least have some colour to take home each trip.
Many Ounces have passed under the bridge since then,but there are still the occassional weekends where I struggle to find any. Im glad that I love the bush,and any time spent away from the big smoke is worth its weight in gold. I think all my years as a fisherman has taught me patience if anything,and this is what has keep me going in my detecting hobbie.
Variety is the spice of life,so if you find yourself getting stale with detecting,do something else for a month or so then come back to it.
The main thing is to keep positive and enjoy yourself while your `out there`. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:35 am

Yeah,
the main thing is always to think and try to do positive things and not think about the negatives - it just isn't good for us.
There is always something else apart from finding gold that goes on in the bush and that is "NATURE" it's all good ! sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:12 am

Hi All and well said.

I'm testimony to all the above, 6 months and not a beep, then the flow started and its been a great ride. ( So Far)

I changed my attitude and it changed me. " The fun is in the doing, the gold is the cream on the cake."

Mariner3800

Last edited by mariner3800 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:16 am

mariner3800 wrote:Hi All and well said.

I'm testimony yo all the above, 6 months and not a beep, then the flow started and its been a great ride. ( So Far)

I changed my attitude and it changed me. " The fun is in the doing, the gold is the cream on the cake."

Mariner3800

that is so true --attitude is all------ ohhh i bet im not goin to get any gold this weekend!! guess what ? ya wont lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 am

I love this hobby. The not giving up stage is something that happens early on when you start detecting.
Getting out with friends in the bush and desert on adventures is a big part of it.
Becoming profficient and being disappointed when you don't come home with at least 4 grams for a weekend is a stage.
Finding some patches and good runs is a stage.
But while having fun in the bush it gets to the point where you search for the ounces of gold each time and get them occassionally.
You can never find enough gold and can have long almost goldless spells when searching new spots but you know you will find some great hauls. That is a stage too.
But of course if you just want to head out to diggings every second weekend with a small coil you will get a few bits and satisfy the fever.
The most frustrating time for me was a long period where i only had the opportunity to get out and detect maybe one weekend in six. It was hard to watch friends going out and getting gold on extended trips.
Take your hobby as far as you want.
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  toshtony on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

If you've taken up prospecting to solely find gold and make a buck then your not going to last long. I'm still a newbie and haven't found much gold atm, but it's not the reason I go prospecting. I love the outdoors use to go fishing alot before I discovered prospecting, but now whatever time I have free I just want to go bush and camp. If a person likes the outdoors and camping then if introduced to prospecting I believe they'll fall in love with it, but if there the city slicker couch potato type they'll give up straight away after not finding gold. Some people just ain't cut out to rough it in the bush.
toshtony
toshtony
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey Stoppsy, I reckon this should be your official anthem. Although I am no fan of Brian, a great message is imparted in this music video even though it is 10 years old now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 am

I thought it may be timely to somewhat revive this older thread & the wisdom it holds because I know I'm not the only (relative newbie) forum member out there going through the "may as well just flog my detector on eBay & quit" stage.

I may think it would be the sensible thing to do - but it took so much life-change to get here & deck myself out with the gear - I can't quit without a fight just yet!

Don't act on impulse or temper after just a few futile trips into the bush. There is enough gold still out there & for the generations to follow us in this amazing hobby. I believe that.

Gawd, but it is very depressing at times - even getting the motivation up to go out there, waste heaps of fuel & looking some days. Once I'm off down a track, I love being in the bush with Rosie dog and I love the exploring, but to find just a teeny bit of gold with the 5K would make a hell of a difference to the morale of this ol' gal. It's about desiring that sense of achievement more than anything - that first little nugget has become like the holy grail.

I can sooo relate to the "there's something wrong with my detector" syndrome - this must be part of the modern day initiation process. At least we no longer have to dig heaps of test pits like the old timers, imagine the heartbreak when their very livelihoods depended on a strike. No doubt there is the odd "lemon" machine out there at times - so if possible, ask a proficient detectorist using the same model to have a go with yours - just in case!

I've spent on bomb on enhancers/different audio types as I'm a bit deaf some days & still not hearing the ground speak properly. Watching people's detecting videos or DVD's with the volume cranked up has really helped me recognise certain target sounds rather than putting every whine & waver down to hot rocks & mineralised ground & accepting the louder usual trash sounds just may not be trash at all! You do have to dig every target you cannot see - like it or not and yes, it's bloody knackering!

I'm studying a lot, geology, maps etc & understanding my machine better and reading the ground better, but still found no yella stuff with it. A long way to go I guess. For the huge effort it takes (coping with serious health problems which sure don't lend themselves to wandering around the bush alone unless you're nuts) and some days really struggling with pain & fatigue out there - I have to wonder how long I will really go on trying with this hobby or will another one bite the dust?

I've heard the stories of newbies walking out of the prospecting shop & hitting the gold right away and other tales of it taking 1-2 years to find a tiny bit...so on that scale, it's only been 9-10 months...which smart Alec said patience is a virtue? lol

I suppose the only solace at this point is that I'm really enjoying the posts of this forum, the wisdom, questions & seeing how people are doing in their photos & loving time in our amazing bush & cleaning it up - bringing plenty of trash targets home, refilling lazy b's holes & rounding up discarded beer/plastic bottles for the recycling bin.

If you're in a seemingly never ending rut like me, have no local mentor to show you the ropes, why not pool learning & head out for a day together & see what hopefully turns up? Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Goldylox
In the position you are go back to basics to give yourself the best chance of finding gold,stick to very small gold on rich areas with diggings and a small coil using fine gold.This is also the easiest physically and you should come up with some gold each day,the 5000 is very capable at this.
Keep the coil flat to the ground at all times
Listen for repeatable signals
Work slowly and methodically small areas of particularly rich alluvial wash and red clays
Dig every signal and target.

Hope your luck changes
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for the encouragment Duetran, today was the usual nothing but trash/nothing from creek panning either and tomorrow I will be trying in two areas rich with old diggings & also on some private yeilding land (with the owners) - so here's to hoping! Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Goldylox wrote:I thought it may be timely to somewhat revive this older thread & the wisdom it holds because I know I'm not the only (relative newbie) forum member out there going through the "may as well just flog my detector on eBay & quit" stage.

I may think it would be the sensible thing to do - but it took so much life-change to get here & deck myself out with the gear - I can't quit without a fight just yet!

Don't act on impulse or temper after just a few futile trips into the bush. There is enough gold still out there & for the generations to follow us in this amazing hobby. I believe that.

Gawd, but it is very depressing at times - even getting the motivation up to go out there, waste heaps of fuel & looking some days. Once I'm off down a track, I love being in the bush with Rosie dog and I love the exploring, but to find just a teeny bit of gold with the 5K would make a hell of a difference to the morale of this ol' gal. It's about desiring that sense of achievement more than anything - that first little nugget has become like the holy grail.

I can sooo relate to the "there's something wrong with my detector" syndrome - this must be part of the modern day initiation process. At least we no longer have to dig heaps of test pits like the old timers, imagine the heartbreak when their very livelihoods depended on a strike. No doubt there is the odd "lemon" machine out there at times - so if possible, ask a proficient detectorist using the same model to have a go with yours - just in case!

I've spent on bomb on enhancers/different audio types as I'm a bit deaf some days & still not hearing the ground speak properly. Watching people's detecting videos or DVD's with the volume cranked up has really helped me recognise certain target sounds rather than putting every whine & waver down to hot rocks & mineralised ground & accepting the louder usual trash sounds just may not be trash at all! You do have to dig every target you cannot see - like it or not and yes, it's bloody knackering!

I'm studying a lot, geology, maps etc & understanding my machine better and reading the ground better, but still found no yella stuff with it. A long way to go I guess. For the huge effort it takes (coping with serious health problems which sure don't lend themselves to wandering around the bush alone unless you're nuts) and some days really struggling with pain & fatigue out there - I have to wonder how long I will really go on trying with this hobby or will another one bite the dust?

I've heard the stories of newbies walking out of the prospecting shop & hitting the gold right away and other tales of it taking 1-2 years to find a tiny bit...so on that scale, it's only been 9-10 months...which smart Alec said patience is a virtue? lol

I suppose the only solace at this point is that I'm really enjoying the posts of this forum, the wisdom, questions & seeing how people are doing in their photos & loving time in our amazing bush & cleaning it up - bringing plenty of trash targets home, refilling lazy b's holes & rounding up discarded beer/plastic bottles for the recycling bin.

If you're in a seemingly never ending rut like me, have no local mentor to show you the ropes, why not pool learning & head out for a day together & see what hopefully turns up? Smile

Gday Goldylox

I have lost count of the amount of hours that I have spent sampling this area and that for zip, but at the end of the day its all a learning process, the fastest way to get onto the gold is by being on the ground and theres no way around that one, but you must combine that with a positive outlook and the right mind set.

Being self taught I have done the hard yards, and have simply just perservered with it all and kept at it thats the only reason that I know what I know now, and at the end of the day I know some trips are going to be good and some bad, thats the nature of the beast so to speak and the sooner you accept that is the way it is, then the more likely you are to learn to just go with the flow, and the gold will come in turn.

Relax and enjoy the experience, we are really lucky in this country to be able to get out in relative safety and do this sort of thing, there are many aspects of detecting that I appreciate apart from the gold, and believe that the health benefits alone both physical and mental are worth doing it for, if I was doing it for the gold alone I would have given it away myself years ago most likely.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 am

G'day fellow prospectors.

Like any hobby or sport people get involved in,do it for all the right reasons and not for the wrong.Prospecting for gold has the tendency to push ones mind,body and spirit to limits one thought of not possible before.It also has the tendency to bring about the best or worst in man,in ways never considered or thought of before.Many are the people who enter a sport or hobby,but few are the ones who stay in long enough to master it. It is said that less than 5% of all prospectors are the ones that lob on to gold on a more regular basis than the rest of us and why is this so you might ask,well,I'll tell ya.Prospecting for gold books,maps and through Forums like this,you get guidance,but true knowledge comes from experiencing the event out on the field.You don't hear from these so called 5% complaining about this or that for they're to busy researching and putting countless of hrs doing the hard yards on the field,regardless of what ever situation awaits them,or whether or not they happen to come across gold or not.You rarely hear them complaining about the many goldless days spent out there searching for the rare and elusive yellow,and most time alone,because they've chosen this hobby as a way of modern day life.They know they're in it for the long haul,come rain hail or shine.That's what separates a good prospector,from the average,once in a blue moon,weekender.More than anything,this so called detecting for gold hobby of ours,unfortunately requires immense research,time,patience,and money,but what serious hobby doesn't.I've been prospecting with a metal detector for just over 22 years now and still manage to pick up and learn a new thing or two.Prospecting for gold,in the great Aus out back,has enriched my life in more ways than I could ever have dreamed of.Just by meeting the different characters out there,seeing amazing landscape sites,wild life and of course doing all this together whilst prospecting for gold,has been an incredible experience that I've found has no equal and what money value can one put on that hey?

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  toadskin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 am

I had five day trips without luck when I got my 4500 and was also worried about how noisy it was. Not as bad as my Xterra 70 but still much noisier than I had expected or was lead to believe. The area I was detecting was gold bearing but there were high tension power lines and radio repeaters etc in the area.

I finally got the time to get out to the Goldfield for an extended period of time and immediately the machine was quieter. It's amazing how sensitive to EMI these things are. The first three days I covered probably 7 or 8km without finding much more than bullet projectiles and cartridge cases. One day I did not have a single target. Meanwhile, one mate was picking up a few nuggets each day while the other was in the same boat as me. On the fourth day, 20 minutes in, I found my first nugget, a 0.3gram.....same settings as the previous days. Twenty minutes later another 0.3 and an hour and a half later a 2 grammer. Later in the day I picked up another 2 grammer. One mate continued to pick up a nugget every hour or two while the other mate went 5 days without a nugget.

The point being I guess, is that you have to walk over one to be able to find it and the sheer randomness of this can do your head in. You can pick up a nugget and then chain the area around it the size of a basketball court without finding another and then give several acres around that a good look over without finding any more. What were the chances of you walking over the nugget you found in the middle in the first place?

Just set your machine up like the book says, test it with a small nugget occasionally to satisfy yourself, and then trust your machine and put the coil to the soil.
toadskin
toadskin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am

It's really warming to hear the stories of hanging in there. Thanks guys.

Off out for another few hours now. Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum