Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold refining costs

Go down

Gold refining costs Empty Gold refining costs

Post  koeh on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Does anybody know how much it costs to get your gold refined ?.
Is there a maximum amount you can send through the mail ?.
Where is the best place to get it refined ?. (my guess would be the mint.)

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Gold refining costs Empty Re: Gold refining costs

Post  Tributer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Koeh, there is a thread or two on refiners in the gold selling section.

I deal with PW Beck. Its about $140 for assay and refining. It costs $40 to post gold insured up to $10,000. If you have more you need to send separate packages each up to a maximum of $10,000. They organise a courier for you. It costs less if you have less gold, or you can just post it yourself without insurance.

You need to send in a JP signed photocopy of your Photo ID drivers licence or similar, a declaration to say the gold is from a hobby and your bank details. Ring them and they will email the forms and tell you the drill. The photo ID is to satisfy the government you are not a terrorist laundering gold.

They generally pay about $1.30 less then gold price per gram. Not a bad rate. And you get beer money from the silver content also.

When they get your gold and weigh it they will contact you and confirm the weight. You can choose to take gold price at that time or the gold price on the day they refine (about 7 days later). I recommend taking the price the day they contact you.

I have dealt with them alot and are very happy with their assays based on numerous parcels sent from the same patches years apart that all came up with the same gold content.

Tributer

PS calculate your expected return on your gold content being about 88-92% pure + a few dollars for silver, and less the weight of quartz and oxide in your gold and refining/postage costs

Last edited by Tributer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add a line)
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks alot for the info Tributer. Greatly appreciated.

You need to send in a JP signed photocopy of your Photo ID drivers licence or similar.

When I read this I was thinking our prospecting mate Mr Porter, how the hell am I supposed to get that. I have the flu at the moment so I am not thinking straight.
Rolling Eyes
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 pm

"JP signed ID, Your a funny guy Koeh Very Happy Very Happy. Your flu must be bad mate.
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 am

Gday

I too would recommend PW Becks as I have dealt with them over the years and have not been dissapointed in the results, I have also dealt with others and have felt ripped off after the experience but I will not go into that here and now, but I will say that gold was sent to two refiners, dug from the same hole, and the assay results were very different.

Their assay cost are also less than some other refiners, however I was not aware that you had the option of choosing to take the gold price on the day they weigh it or on the day the refine it, I have not been advised of this, luckily for me then the last time I sent them gold the price went up by the time it was refined so I did better anyway, I just thought that it was the gold price on the day it is refined.

If you contact them they will send you out all the details first, you can download the forms and then send it to them prior to the courier picking your package up, but be sure to put something like "metal parts" or something similar on the package not "huge gold nuggets" as it may catch the eye of someone and get pocketed, also I take the added precaution of taking a photo of the gold on the scales then taking a photo of the package as well, make sure that you have the date set on the camera too.

When you get your assay results expect that there will be a percentage of loss in the weight due to rubbish and other impurities in the gold, this can vary from lot to lot, but the assay results you recieve will give you a breakdown about it all.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

As I will most probably melt them into buttons would it be worth drilling a hole through them and keeping the shavings to keep them honest.

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 pm

hi Tributer.

is that price for clean gold?
if you have speci's will they crush it and refine it for you?
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi Fencejumper, Yes Beck will take the gold with quartz/ironstone etc.
However to get a good handle on the weight of gold you are sending it is worth dollying up the gold and removing as much quartz as possible. If you dolly it into a lump and then chisel up the slugs and redolly it a couple times you will remove much of the quartz. Smaller specimens can just be hammered in a sizable container to remove quartz.

You may need to pan out some fine gold at the end and simply put it in a small plastic bottle and send that in the parcel, maybe with any panned gold you have collected over the years.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:05 pm

thanks tributer

i was thinking with chunky speci's it would be worth using the dolly pot first

but with realy fine gold speci's then there might be enough micro gold that can't be seen in the quartz that can only be recovered with
chemicals, then it might be worth processing the whole lot, i just was not sure if becks done that
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

I take it that this P W Beck is in Brisbane? If so I may be able to drive down and see them.
Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:07 pm

i thought they were in adelaide panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Must be a few of them? I just had a look on the web and see Brisbane. I will have to find out if they buy there.
Panther

Back to top Go down

Gold refining costs Empty mint

Post  nigel on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:55 am

I just made a gold deposit at the perth mint new rules! they no longer pay you on the date of deposit but when they have finished rifining you have no idea what price they are going to pay you!this on top of them not paying for your silver up to 5oz and for this crap service they charge you $300 will be looking for another refiner in the future

nigel
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  marty on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Do you have to fill out a GST form for tax purposes or something along those lines ??

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Marty, not as a hobbiest.

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm

nigel wrote:I just made a gold deposit at the perth mint new rules! they no longer pay you on the date of deposit but when they have finished rifining you have no idea what price they are going to pay you!this on top of them not paying for your silver up to 5oz and for this crap service they charge you $300 will be looking for another refiner in the future

G'day nigel

I wouldn't be happy with this either. We sell to PW Beck in Adelaide SA very happy with their service, their charges were something like $138 for upto 15 ozs plus they pay for the silver and also give you an option of locking in the price in the day they receive your parcel to be refined.

here is a link
http://www.pwbeck.com.au/#/home
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://www.x-coils.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I to can recomend PW Becks. They have done the right thing by us. We even had specemins that we gave them as they had large gold content and they charge you a fee for up to so many grams as total. I think for the last lot they charged an extra about $18.00 to crush up and refine including specimins. We had about 10 specimins all the size of gold ball to chook egg size. Was not worth our effort to crush up and pan out. each specimin had on average 30 to 50 grams gold. We did do a specific gravity test on them before dropping them of. Was only in quartz so was reasonably accurate. There gold content weight was right as far as we could work out as they also payed for silver. Then there is the last crappy bits left over. We have always delt with becks in adelaide and cannot recomend them highly enough. Give them a call and they will tell you everything you need to know. free call number is 1800 888 585
cheers

Back to top Go down

Gold refining costs Empty gold refining

Post  SA Gold Traders on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 pm

koeh wrote:Does anybody know how much it costs to get your gold refined ?.
Is there a maximum amount you can send through the mail ?.
Where is the best place to get it refined ?. (my guess would be the mint.)

cheers

koeh
SA Gold Traders can refine your gold and have it returned to you as granuals or ingots
$60 assay fee plus GST
incoming weight ten cents per gram plus GST
payout 99% spot plus GST if registered for GST
retention/commission 2% on recovered gold
contact them 08 8223 5885
or 0414 838 094
look up SA Gold Traders on the net

SA Gold Traders
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-28