Newby to detecting with some questions

Go down

Newby to detecting with some questions Empty Newby to detecting with some questions

Post  ducky on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered the enjoyment of metal dectecting and i'm hooked! I live near old abandoned colliery sites and was wondering if they would be good places to detect ect. Do i need a licence?

I was walking past an old site just recently after heavy rain and i fould an old Australian 1947 penny in great condition sitting on top of a long abandoned coal heap and i got the bug!

I know if quite a few sites that i know probably have never been detected before. I also live accross the road from one of the very first steel works in nsw that started in 1901. I have also found a 1920 penny near there.

I'm staying 3 nights in a very old propery and Hill End in a few weeks that is on an acre of land and i can't wait!

Hope you guys can give some advise on licences ect.
Cheers,
Ducky.(Brian)

ducky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Newby to detecting with some questions Empty Re: Newby to detecting with some questions

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm

ducky wrote:Hi everyone,

I have just discovered the enjoyment of metal dectecting and i'm hooked! I live near old abandoned colliery sites and was wondering if they would be good places to detect ect. Do i need a licence?

I was walking past an old site just recently after heavy rain and i fould an old Australian 1947 penny in great condition sitting on top of a long abandoned coal heap and i got the bug!

I know if quite a few sites that i know probably have never been detected before. I also live accross the road from one of the very first steel works in nsw that started in 1901. I have also found a 1920 penny near there.

I'm staying 3 nights in a very old propery and Hill End in a few weeks that is on an acre of land and i can't wait!

Hope you guys can give some advise on licences ect.
Cheers,
Ducky.(Brian)
hi ducky and welcom to the forum, you do need a licence for prospecting, it sounds like you in a great area and have some realy good spots... there's a few people on this forum that are close by so they might be able to help you with hands on wich will make it easyer for you.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Newby to detecting with some questions Empty Re: Newby to detecting with some questions

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm

hi ducky
if your only looking for coins then you don't need a licence/miners right
but if your looking for gold or minerals then you do in most states
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 pm

But not in NSW!
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm

ducky wrote: Do i need a licence?

... I'm staying 3 nights in a very old property and Hill End...

Hi Brian. Since you are in NSW, you won't need a license because we're about the only state in Australia that doesn't have one any more. In QLD , VIC & WA you do but not here. Fossicker's Licenses were abolished in the early 1990s in NSW. However, if you plan to detect or prospect in a State Forest in NSW you DO need to obtain a permit from NSW State Forests. It costs 22 per year and ONLY applies to State Forests in NSW. Detecting & Prospecting in a National Park is not permitted at all.

In a nutshell, much of Hill End is on Crown Land and in most circumstances you can detect there. You can't detect on private property without first obtaining permission from the landowner. The township of Hill End itself (where the tarred roads and buildings are located) is protected under the Heritage Act and you may not detect on the town itself. Some maps available that can help you find the large areas of Crown Land in the Hill End area. Most properties that are privately owned tend to have a fence around them. In contrast, the areas of Crown Land there are generally not fenced in. Some good areas to the North and West of the township that you can access. I imagine that the property owner may allow you to detect on the property as long as it's not in the preserved area that is subject to the Heritage Preservation Act. Either way, there's no State Forest that I know of in the Hill End area so you won't even be needing one of their fossicking permits.

All the best.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ducky on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks to you all for your help and prompt reply. I live in Lithgow so if there is anyone here from there who would like to go detecting, please email me.

Just one more question, are you allowed to detectect in old cemeteries? with respect of course.

Cheers,
Brian.

ducky
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 pm

no way Brian with respect!!

Back to top Go down

Newby to detecting with some questions Empty Newby to detecting

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Mate I dont know about prospecting amongst graves that brings a new meaning to gold exploration I wouldnt and I think everyone else on here wouldnt either. You could also buy the Jack Lange video, I think number 2 he prospects in NSW and it might give you a few tips but also helpful watching someone digging up gold and how to get it. But scroll through this forum theres heaps of tips on this forum pages of it and everyone is helpful just ask questions. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ducky on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry, that last post about cemeteries sounded pretty lame, i never intended to offend anyone!
It's just that an elderly neigbour of mine told me about an old tin of gold sovereigns that are burried and an old cemetery. She gave me the exact location and told me "go dig them up before someone else does".

I just would feel right about doing it that's why i haven't. So i guess i'll just leave it at that.

Ducky.

ducky
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi
We could link this subject with Stoppsy's Coin subject on this forum.
I am sure the Coins you would dig up in a grave yard would be in great condition.
I would think you would need a larger Detector Coil to pick up the deeper coins.
You would need a shovel as a gold detector Pick would take to long to dig 6 foot down for that exciting single.
I could see a whole new Detecting tours industry start up, bus loads getting off, at cemeteries franticly detecting for those old coins.
No long grass to worry about.
Councils could charge admission.

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Good one shelby I think your onto something here they could run the tours at night there would be blokes everywhere running there coils around old graves and have a campfire after everyones finished and talk old scary stories. affraid

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum