Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carats or carrots

Go down

Carats or carrots Empty Carats or carrots

Post  Billsymo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm

I recently took a couple of gold rings, which I had found, metal detecting, to a scrap gold buyer in an Adelaide shoping centre, just to see how they operate, I also took a gold nugget to see what they paid. I had already weighed the rings and the nugget, and estimated the value of them. Both rings were 9 carat, they were heavy mens wedding rings and the gold value in them came to a value of $137.00 the Gold nugget weighed 1 gram and its Value was about $39.00 dollars.
When I asked the buyer what the rings were worth I was offered $34.00.
I asked how they tested there gold nuggets for a carat value, it had no impurities.
The woman pulled out a vial of acid from under the counter, which was probalby Nitric acid, and and she would do a test, and tell me how many carats the nugget was. she poured a drop on it, looked at it through a loupe and said it was 14 carat and offered me $12.00.
What a fake!! An acid test like the one she did will only tell you if the nugget is gold . There is no way that the test would estimate the gold value. Needless to say I told her I was not a donkey and I would take my carrots (oops) carats elsewhere.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Carats or carrots Empty Re: Carats or carrots

Post  TheH0ward on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:10 pm

yeah i had 3 gold rings and a gold chain to sell and they offered me $65 all up. And that was after arguing with the guy who told me they were silver rings and i tried to explain its white gold and what that meant. He looked up his little book and finally agreed with me. Blaaaaaaa so i still got those rings. I reckon i'll just keep saving the bits a pieces and have them melted down into a tiny button of pretty yellow for my mineral collection, lol.
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  big chop on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

yeah sometimes those people are real sharks
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

You have to realize, these type of sharks can only make a profit by giving you bugger all. So it's simple, don't do it!
This is where the art of (refining your gold, Treating with acids, obtaining 99% pure gold, then smelting your gold into a bar or a button) "Has been lost"!

It seems where all in a rush to find some gold and turn it into instant money.

No one to blame but yourselves! Not trying to Pi@s any one of! I'm just saying, Get real!

Cheers~Chris. study

Back to top Go down

Post  big chop on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:11 pm

yeah honest point
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Billsymo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 pm

someday wrote:You have to realize, these type of sharks can only make a profit by giving you bugger all. So it's simple, don't do it!
This is where the art of (refining your gold, Treating with acids, obtaining 99% pure gold, then smelting your gold into a bar or a button) "Has been lost"!

It seems where all in a rush to find some gold and turn it into instant money.

No one to blame but yourselves! Not trying to Pi@s any one of! I'm just saying, Get real!

Cheers~Chris. study
Are you a director of Goldbuyers Australia???
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

I wish! Sounds a whole lot better than being a mechanic? Sad Sad

When we lived over in WA, I did a lot of rock crushing for supper fine gold. On that note I did the big learning curve on refining gold.
If only I new then what I know now about the WA gold fields "No Need To Crush Rocks" Bugger? Sad Sad

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:59 pm

I know a chap that is a wholes seller jewler and manafacture. My wife has scrap 18ct gold items that we took to him to see what he could make for us out of it. He said the best way is if we did not have enough gold out of the scraps to make anything at 18cts that the wife liked. So he suggested to bring the gold down to 9ct by adding more copper and silver, as this was much cheaper than adding more gold to keep it at 18ct. This is the way we are going and I may even throw in a nugget or two as well to make up the quanity. So my suggestion is don't sell your scrap gold to these D*ck heads, find yourself a jewler manafacture and get him to make something out of the scraps. It will work out cheaper in value than selling.

Wombat

Management

Number of posts : 4737
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum