Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fast does current move in a conductor?

+2
adrian ss
deutran
6 posters

Go down

How fast does current move in a conductor? Empty How fast does current move in a conductor?

Post  deutran Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:32 pm

Well very slowly indeed,in fact around 1mm/second give or take.So if this is the case how do we transfer energy/power almost instantly from the generator to the load?
So energy travels as a combination of electric and magnetic(electromagnetic)waves outside of the conductor or wire at very fast speeds.The wire literally just guides the path of the power to its destination from both the positive and negative connections.
I wonder why we weren't taught about this in school?This would have helped explain why Tesla was experimenting with sending power through the air or the way lightning works.
Seems this guy new about it in 1884
https://www.britannica.com/science/Poynting-vector
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1805
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

How fast does current move in a conductor? Empty Re: How fast does current move in a conductor?

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:28 pm

The individual electron velocity in a metal wire is typically millions of kilometers per hour. In contrast, the drift velocity is typically only a few meters per hour while the signal velocity is a hundred million to a trillion kilometers per hour. tongue tongue
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3962
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

How fast does current move in a conductor? Empty Re: How fast does current move in a conductor?

Post  soldier of fortune Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Is this why you are likely to die instantly  of electrical shock if coming into contact with 240 volts ? Is it true it is not the volts that kill you but the amps ?

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:14 pm

Grabbing hold of a spark plug lead (voltage) may not kill you, but!!

https://letstalkscience.ca/educational-resources/stem-in-context/do-amps-or-volts-kill-you

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

soldier of fortune likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 pm

I have been shocked in the end of a finger when gapping some points on an old Mazda Capella while the ignition was turned on. Not a good feeling at all.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:55 am

Yep it's the current that gets you. 3mm will tickle your fancy, Anything over 10ma through your bod/heart has the potential to take you out. affraid pale
100 ma + is deadly.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:22 pm

As kids , my cousins and i used to poke each other with a cattle prodder and my uncle used to get me to hold the spark plugs when testing the spark in his 2 stroke stationary engines on the farm. I had a shocking childhood.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

hiluxer and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:38 pm

I would not try that with today's high energy ignition systems. Those suckers can send your heart into a fibrillation attack.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:44 pm

A funny story- Back at tech school in the mid 70's I was doing subjects electrical practice.
A few of us made step up transformers using a 9v battery as the power sauce.
I decided to be naughty and added a few more turns of copper wire plus I added aluminium poles [old tv aerial ] to hang onto for the unsuspecting dumb student affraid
When they hung onto the poles I would flick the switch and it would give out high pitch buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [flexible oscillating contact ]
I told a young unsuspecting lady music teacher to hold onto the poles and look down the end and that she would see pretty colours.
In the principals office I saw the dull colour of brown leather across my palms Embarassed Sad Laughing Laughing

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1662
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:31 pm

adrian ss wrote:I would not try that with today's high energy ignition systems. Those suckers can send your heart into a fibrillation attack.

I don`t think points are even a thing in new cars now ,but if they were ,i definately would not go near them in the same fashion as i used to.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:40 pm

I can't even get to my plugs to change them let alone get a shock from them.
$ 400-$ 500 bucks to get new leads and plugs Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad [ add on] $ that's the shock

cheers    moredeep

Last edited by moredeep on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1662
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Cranky Emu Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Volts pushes Amps. Basics of Ohms law.
Volts creates the force (pressure) that moves electrons, the flow of electrons is amps.
Cranky Emu
Cranky Emu
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2017-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:04 am

soldier of fortune wrote:
adrian ss wrote:I would not try that with today's high energy ignition systems. Those suckers can send your heart into a fibrillation attack.

I don`t think points are even a thing in new cars now ,but if they were ,I definitely would not go near them in the same fashion as i used to.

Yeah no points these days.
I recall changing my HK ute over to a magnetic impulse high voltage type ignition system back in the early seventies. Worked great. Never had to adjust it again.
   Remember the ole CDI system. It kept yer plugs clean aye Smile  Then there was the multi contact spark plugs....Never really liked those.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm

Yes built one of those electronic ignition systems for my old Pulsar worked really well,no more changing points.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1805
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:30 pm

I put one of those very basic electronic systems on my old falcon with a disc to replace the points and a pulse pickup thingy on it. Never missed a beat. Worked a charm.

Last edited by soldier of fortune on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down