Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are QR Codes Safe

2 posters

Go down

Are QR Codes Safe Empty Are QR Codes Safe

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:34 am

Are QR codes safe?  (Quick Response Code)

Attackers can embed malicious URLs containing custom malware into a QR code which could then exfiltrate data from a mobile device when scanned. It is also possible to embed a malicious URL into a QR code that directs to a phishing site, where unsuspecting users could disclose personal or financial information.

Because humans cannot read QR codes,  (Aliens with big black eyes maybe can  alien )  it is easy for attackers to alter a QR code to point to an alternative resource without being detected. While many people are aware that QR codes can open a URL, they can be less aware of the other actions that QR codes can initiate on a user’s device. Aside from opening a website, these actions can include adding contacts or composing emails. This element of surprise can make QR code security threats especially problematic.

A typical attack involves placing malicious QR codes in public, sometimes covering up legitimate QR codes. Unsuspecting users who scan the code are taken to a malicious web page which could host an exploit kit, leading to device compromise or a spoofed login page to steal user credentials. Some websites do drive-by downloads, so simply visiting the site can initiate a malicious software download.

Mobile devices, in general, tend to be less secure than computers or laptops. Since QR codes are used on mobile devices, this increases the potential risks.

Do QR codes collect my personal information and data?
     QR code-generating software does not collect personally identifiable information.
The data it does collect – and which is visible to the code’s creators – includes location, the number of times the code has been scanned and at what times, plus the operating system of the device which scanned the code (i.e., iPhone or Android).

Can someone hack a QR code?
   The QR codes themselves can’t be hacked – the security risks associated with QR codes derive from the destination of QR codes rather than the codes themselves.
Hackers can create malicious QR codes which send users to fake websites that capture their personal data such as login credentials or even track their geo-location on their phone.

This is why mobile users should only scan codes that come from a trusted sender.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3962
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Are QR Codes Safe Empty Re: Are QR Codes Safe

Post  soldier of fortune Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:19 am

You come up with some interesting stuff, Adrian.

How do we know who a trusted sender is ? How can we be sure every QR code in a shop is legit for that premises and has not been tampered with or replaced by scammers ? I can tell you there are places that should have Government QR codes and don`t. There are 2 cancer facilities i have visited for work who tell you to open up your camera to scan their codes because they are not Government codes and if it doesn`t work, then just sign my name in the book. Their QR codes DO NOT WORK.I could write false info in the book, so the whole non-government set up at these places is next to useless. I thought a business had to legally have the Government codes ,otherwise what `s the point of contact tracing ?
One of these places has the non-government QR code in one office and a legit one in the office on the other side of the corridor 10 feet away. I refuse to deliver to these places anymore. I hope they have picked up their game since i was last there.
The boss of one Covid testing clinic i delivered to ages ago got a nasty phone call from me after i tried to deliver stuff to their clinic ,but there was no QR code because they supposedly " know " who is coming in the door each day through bookings. Meanwhile i am standing in an office surrounded by 5 people in full PPE and people getting tested walking past me. They have now smartened up and are complying with QR codes. I will be glad when we don`t have to do this anymore.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm

There is  no way the average Joe in the street can tell if a QR code he/she just scanned is stealing their private data, or feeding them false information.
These codes have advanced a long way since their first development in Japan in the 1990s
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3962
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:13 am

This is the problem with all the technology we are dealing with these days and all the information that is accessible in cyberspace.
QR codes can be the devil`s playground.
Bunnings QR codes were apparently breached through their online booking platform and customer`s personal details were accessed by hackers. It`s a worry when things like this happen. It`s not Bunnings` fault. Rather ,it is the way of the world and the risks we are exposed to with technology, hey ?

https://www.stawelltimes.com.au/story/7578921/bunnings-customers-data-exposed-in-cyber-security-breach/?cs=1536

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down