Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab feature wish

5 posters

Go down

Minelab feature wish Empty Minelab feature wish

Post  alchemist Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:41 am

With aerial imagery down to 10 pixels per metre, or even better if you own a drone, becoming freely available, it would be nice if the ability existed to upload geo-referenced rasters to the detector screen. MBtiles, KMZ or simple tiffs would enable real time observation of where one is in relation to geologic features, and previous find points, or even features on a geologic map layer.

I use the findpoints on my 7000 a lot, but have much difficulty relating them to the terrain before me. Many orthographs show faults, joints and folds that I like to follow, but I need to juggle my GPS in one hand and detector in the other. It becomes a struggle and I fear wiping the firmware in my GPS if I get too close to the coil. It would be wonderful to have it all on one screen, it would require a daylight screen though, more cost.

Simple features like uploadable waypoints would also be fantastic.

The source code is mostly already available under GNU licence, but I suspect the GPZ 7500 specs have already been finalized. Maybe the 8000, if I live long enough? Perhaps very few would go to this trouble, it's all part of the joy for me.

Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Minelab feature wish Empty Re: Minelab feature wish

Post  Guest Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks Dave for the tip. My wife uses a mapping app on her phone that displays a number of different tile types and I compile rasters for her, but I'm snagged on my old Montana 650, just love it.
I guess you're right though, if the 7000 GPS wasn't as well received as they hoped, there's little chance of mapping features being extended in the next, but it is what you'd expect on flagship professional gear now.

Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:36 am

It’s a metal detector not a GPS, just crazy asking for more interference producing clutter to a ‘high end’ gold machine, you’ve just described far better tools for the purposes of mapping so why cloud the water with a interference producing, resource hogging add on that is half arsed at best? If you’re not hearing the GPS and especially the breadcrumb trail effecting the behaviour of your GPZ then you have the thing dumbed way down.

If you think signal emitting devices don’t effect metal detectors go out bush where the phone signal is weak and wave your smart phone past the control box of a GPX6000 (even 7000).

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

charliec and bicter like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:01 am

funny ya say that JP, in some areas i have to turn my mobile phone off as it can send interference through my7000 thats with it in my pocket i can tell when a txt is coming through because of the spikes like EMI

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:43 am

Likewise with my phone and I only have an old 4G flip phone and some fairly ordinary detectors.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4328
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 am

Suspect

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:It’s a metal detector not a GPS, just crazy asking for more interference producing clutter to a ‘high end’ gold machine, you’ve just described far better tools for the purposes of mapping so why cloud the water with a interference producing, resource hogging add on that is half arsed at best? If you’re not hearing the GPS and especially the breadcrumb trail effecting the behaviour of your GPZ then you have the thing dumbed way down.

If you think signal emitting devices don’t effect metal detectors go out bush where the phone signal is weak and wave your smart phone past the control box of a GPX6000 (even 7000).

JP
Agreed, each electronic equipment acts as a transmitting device, and the only way to minimise noise being generated is to turn it off.
Consideration should be given to turning off all electronic equipment until it's required. Where equipment is required to be continually powered up, try and keep it as far as possible from the coil to reduce the noise floor.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down