Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity Empty Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity

Post  adrian ss Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:21 am

Has anybody see the story re a lost racing pigeon from the USA arriving in Australia?

Would you believe that now the Customs have said that it will have to be euthanised coz it is a threat to our environment. Ye Gods & little fishes!!!!!!
Does that mean that all international migratory birds will have to be captured when entering our air space and killed also????  Seems to me that it is a hell of a lot more their airspace than ours. We are not born with wings aye. Birds are flying from country to country all of the time. If it was not for migratory travel there would be nothing in this country, zip, zero, nada, not anything. Not even an Aborigine.

Maybe we should be euthanising all illegal immigrants to Australia when they are captured. I mean they have brought disease to Australia and have been known to stuff some of the environment. Check out the covid19 virus. How do ya reckon it got here, or the few cases of typhoid that have been discovered in detention centres? and boat people.

Good grief give the bird a break, it has just flown 15,000 k, it is likely not all that sick if it can survive a journey of that distance.
As for the owner of  the bird. They lose racing pigeons all of the time and I doubt that he would even remember it.

But if you are reading this post mate; Yer birds in Melbourne Australia.
If you want him back mate you better move fast coz Customs are itching to kill it.

Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity A867d810

Last edited by adrian ss on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3044
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Nightjar, charliec, harryopal, hapalogh, Dmitry and danielvwarne like this post

Back to top Go down

Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity Empty Re: Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity

Post  Nightjar Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:40 am

Did see the report and like you immediately thought of all the migratory birds.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2626
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity Empty Re: Off Topic The Penultimate Of Stupidity

Post  4rd Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:25 am

Totally agree Adrian, and you've summed it up with the subject title.  Had a look at Australian gov biodiversity site and interestingly could only find bilateral migratory bird agreements with China amongst others but not the USA....    Question  Cool

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/migratory-species/migratory-birds
4rd
4rd
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:19 am

Yep, gotta laugh at that one Smile

A pigeon initially declared a biosecurity risk after flying to Australia from the United States will not be executed following an investigation by the Department of Agriculture.
It comes after an American bird organisation declared its identifying leg band was a fake.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-15/fake-us-leg-band-gets-joe-the-pigeon-reprieve-biosecurity/13061544
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 am

There ya go. he got a lucky break. cheers cheers
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

gold bug sniper and Dmitry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Well that was a storm in the old teacup,and why the hell did someone put a fake leg band on a pigeon?
Must be a conspiracy theory in there somewhere Question,
Q-eon ,pig-eon there's the link Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2018-05-23

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Even if it was from USA it would just have to self isolate for 14 days and get it's negitive covid test and all's well. lol!

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2016-03-07

gold bug sniper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:43 pm

I have detected a few ID rings from racing pigeons over the years.  The last was at Wedderburn last year, number VHA52-10225. I think that I have just recorded online the demise of pigeon 10225 around 69 years ago.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-11-17

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 pm

The last pigeon ring I found here in Canberra a long time ago was from a bird released in Perth. Still have it here somewhere.....The ring that is. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:36 am

Im going to ask David Attinborough If we had started a precedent like that we would run out of seafood as well LOL Shocked

hapalogh
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimnugs Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:48 am

Pigeons are not migratory birds.. and they are the most likely bird to spread disease to humans considering they are to stupid to even nest in trees anymore and rely on human scraps to survive, so they are always nearby in your local 😂

Jimnugs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2020-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:18 am

We know they are not migratory but if you were one and got blown out to sea in a storm you will look for the first bit of dirt ta land on aye.
I guess they have learnt that by staying in and around the cities they are less likely to get shot at.....So they decided to tame humans. Laughing

Last edited by adrian ss on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:32 am

Pigeons are vermin! Try cleaning their nests out from under your solar panels. They are so full of excrement and twigs it's not funny. The stench is sickening.
When you have to rely solely on on Tank Water it's not very healthy believe me. We have to sterilise our tank with bleach and also boil the water before drinking it. They are NOT migratory. I say shoot the bloody things.
Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am

Qld Frank wrote:Pigeons are vermin! Try cleaning their nests out from under your solar panels. They are so full of excrement and twigs it's not funny. The stench is sickening.
When you have to rely solely on on Tank Water it's not very healthy believe me. We have to sterilise our tank with bleach and also boil the water before drinking it. They are NOT migratory. I say shoot the bloody things.
Frank

Frank, I disagree with your solution. Yes, sterilise your tank regularly to remove contaminants but if you looked closer the fallout from the atmosphere will probably do you more harm than a few bird droppings.
We so call educated/domesticated humans pollute our planet a trillion times more than our feathered/furry friends.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:41 pm

Qld Frank wrote:Pigeons are vermin! Try cleaning their nests out from under your solar panels. They are so full of excrement and twigs it's not funny. The stench is sickening.
Frank
Feral pigeons are pests and have no place in our wonderful country. They are as bad as foxes, carp and Cane Toads in my view.Evil or Very Mad  They cost people thousands of dollars to clean up their disease infested mess. I've witnessed it first hand and also believe that Pigeon racing should be outlawed.
Good read all the same Adrian Very Happy
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Frank

Well I really really feel saddened about your solar panels. Mine get chocked up pretty bad if I don't clean them but that does not make me want to go out and exterminate all the critters trying ta make a home under them....Maybe you should connect to the coal powered electricity grid. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

I recall when all we had  was tank rainwater, no electricity or gas, kero lights and a wood stove, Mum washed our clothes in a Copper and we had to share the bath water  and when dad got a promotion we got an Ice Chest and a kero water heater stuck at the end of the bath tub. Before that mum boiled umpteen kettles of water on the wood stove so we could have a hot water bath. We never had water contamination problems.... unless we kids peed in the bath. The rain water collector was very well screened from from any bird dropping ingress and it was not possible for birds of any kind to build nests within a bulls roar of the top of the tank water inlet.

In the RAAF the birds...swallows in particular  and moths and other critters would bung a nest in just about any suitable size opening that they could find on the Aircraft inc the pitot tubes, static vents and even in the engines. Got a bit upset when the donks started turning and burning butt. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Curley wrote:
Frank
Feral pigeons are pests and have no place in our wonderful country. They are as bad as foxes, carp and Cane Toads in my view.Evil or Very Mad  They cost people thousands of dollars to clean up their disease infested mess. I've witnessed it first hand and also believe that Pigeon racing should be outlawed.
Good read all the same Adrian Very Happy
Cheers
Curley

Racing pigeons don't stuff around during a race. They may take a short rest during the day and they don't fly at night, so you may find them on your roof or taking a bit of shelter somewhere else, but come the morning they are up and away and will do a couple of circles to reset their Nav computer and then head off home.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimnugs Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Why compare them to migratory birds then ? Lol doesn't help your point at all and if they end up on the wrong land then they will be shot wich is fair enough for a country that kills its own national animal 😂

Jimnugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Ahh the humble Pidgeon. Although considered a pest in many a nation, has also served man for many a century. I don't know about you guys, but if a bunch of stray Pidgeon's happened to land in my back yard all at once, I'd consider it a sign from the heavens, to start firing up the V49

Cheers Kon Q11 T25

Last edited by Kon61gold on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3850
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Idigem likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm

O boy! O Boy! O Boy!, Pigeon Pie.

I was not actually doing a direct comparison to migratory birds, the topic just sort of drifted that way.
If as was first thought, that the pigeon concerned had arrived in Aust from the States as the result of a very long on the wing and a prayer international flight and if it stayed here then it has unintentionally migrated ( gone from one place of living to another). You do not have to go international to  migrate. ie. I can migrate to VIc or Tassie for a day or three or in a moment of insanity, even to Dunolly  Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Geez Adrian, that's a bit harsh.
You just insulted Mechanic who moved to Dunolly.

Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:47 pm

Gday. Hey we do OK in Dunolly. Everyone comes to visit and before you ask if we knew where the gold is we would have it. Its a great place. Ha ha
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimnugs Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm

Traveling interstate is not migrating 😂😂 haha

Jimnugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimnugs Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:59 pm

"Does that mean that all international migratory birds will have to be captured when entering our air space and killed also?"

Your quote is the definition equivalent of a direct comparison haha

Pigeons dont travel interstate seasonally there for it is not migration or even accidental migration. Migration is the season movement of an animal from one region to another.

Jimnugs
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Re :Migration is the season movement of an Detector Operators from one SA region to another WA region. ( In Winter)

PeterInSa
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Jimnugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 am

That's right and when another tecta operator moves into another operators area during the migration from Vic to WA gold fields for eg; well we all know how cranky those Westerners can get aye!.

Sorry. I was just joking about Dunolly. I used to live in the Vale and went to the Wedderburn High.Did quite a bit of fossicking in and around Dunolly. Used to try to find gold with a ww2 mine detector back in 60- 61.

Come on fellas , I am having a bit of a dig re the migrating thing.....We are animals and often migrate from the hot spots to the cool in summer and back again to the warm in the winter. Bats, swallows, Bogong Moths migrat around this country. Various Aborigines migrated to Australia and then moved from one spot to another in the never ending search for food and like some of us who are clearly not too keen on pigeons, they encountered other tribes of different kinds and often got on each others nerves for entering already claimed hunting grounds....Just like the Customs people did who took a dislike to a lil ole lonesome pigeon. Laughing Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Nightjar, geof_junk, big fella, xmas tree, Mike54, moredeep and Jimnugs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Gday. All good Adrian. A lot of people are migrating to Dunolly. This little town is actually growing. Very proud of that and we are still finding the good stuff so everyone welcome
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah I liked Dunolly and Wedderburn but was not so keen on Korong Vale, especially after someone there brained my cat with a rock.
Dad was transferred there with the Vic railways as Sub Foreman , or maybe it was Works Foreman?
   I was keen on gold fossicking back then and was glad to be right in amongst the gold for a while. Prior to that we lived in Wangaratta for a short time where I was able to get out to Eldorado and look for agates, qtz crystals and dish a bit of gold out of reedy creek.....The Good Old days.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Google "Dickin Medal" equivalent to the Victoria Cross. Pigeons get a mention so they are not all pests. 😉
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:15 pm

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/dickin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: