Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx

Go down

Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx Empty Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx

Post  PeterInSa Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm

(xxx... just in case they are monitoring this site)

In my other life, I was, like some members here and IT Manager with responsibilities for Accounting/Marketing Computer Systems etc etc. I remember attending a day seminar that suggested the cost for exported products/items should not include the fixed cost of making the product, only the variable.

eg 1000 bottles of wine for Oz, include the Council rates and cost of water and electricity/labour etc
an additional 1000 bottles of wine for export only include Cost of water/electricity/and water.( no council rates)

So if Oz wine producers are following the above Cxxx may prove something.

Then again if we ship the wine for 1000 bottles in a container to Cxxx and its bottled there with their cheaper labour/Bottles/Labels, that may prove to them, in their eyes, that we are doing the wrong thing.

I recall years ago when we went to the states, I could buy Jacobs Creek wine ( OK, am not a wine Con O Sur) over there cheaper than in Oz ( maybe B4 Dan Murphys came to Adelaide) but JC could have been shipping in bulk to the US with their ( to me ) cheaper labour.

PeterInSa
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx Empty Re: Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx

Post  granite2 Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:56 pm

I found duty free wine on cruise ships to be no cheaper than Dan Murphy.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2009-10-12

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx Empty Re: Off Topic... 200% Tariff on Oz Wine in Cxxxx

Post  Axtyr Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:11 am

I have also found alcohol to be too expensive at the duty free shops on cruise ships.
The reason for the discrepancy in prices overseas has a lot to do with the tax on alcohol that the governments like to impose.
Remove the Australian tax from a bottle of wine and then compare the price.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2014-01-20

BEPGOLD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 am

Re (The reason for the discrepancy in prices overseas has a lot to do with the tax on alcohol that the governments like to impose.
Remove the Australian tax from a bottle of wine and then compare the price.)

Good Point, but to me, won't help the Oz Wine exporters as I think its the price comparison of what the bottle of wine costs to the man in the street from his local bottle shop. If less in C... could be considered as d.......

PeterInSa
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jamessmith2 Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi,
First if the companies have been using shonky paperwork/accounting basically let them loose their business, - I feel for any low level workers who loose work, - they are sort of innocent, but management , accountants etc who knew of any shonky book work deserve to have to suffer at the hands of shareholders.
If the companies have been totally honest, then it is time for the Govt to play as DIRTY as THE other side, Say with Export tariffs on Iron Ore from WA.
Really - as the ore is a finite product we should be "Super Taxing " it any way, - unless it is at least part processed in OZ -like in "pig iron Bobs" times with Whyalla, Woolongong and the other steel works.
If I remember right the price of wine from OZ does not really take into account the real price of the irrigation water used in the Riverland, or Barossa Valley for vine growing.
Anyways on the surface of things it seems a coincidence that the boots are being stuck in, as if we have been too successful in limiting how much pain our economy cops from the Covid 19, SO  We have to be punished financially thru Barley, Wine etc etc.- The timing does in a way support one of the many over abundant conspiracies re weaponizing the virus effects.
If we have to fight back we might as well play just as nasty as the opposition does.
Over the last year at least one big iron ore miner has proved that they are not morally pure enough for many to worry if they loose some money anyway- and I think they are a EU based company. Just like the blown up caves were, once the high grade iron ore has been dug up in OZ and exported it is gone. I think super taxing bulk export iron ore would be an ideal bargaining point with countries who want to play hard ball: and maybe liquefied LPG as-well for that matter,- an other finite resource- Why should we subsidize other country energy costs?
Apologies for the Spelling, I haven't worked out how to swap spell check to English Oz.
J

jamessmith2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-12-15

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:23 pm

I will help them out and drink more red wine ....
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2011-07-25

geof_junk, granite2 and BEPGOLD like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Australian Wine exports are only one of many export producers, soon to be hit with extraordinary tariffs by the CCP China, & all for what, for standing our ground on civil rights, on our way of life & freedoms.
I for one, do not blame China for what they are doing to the world as we speak, but our own politicians & rich fat cats, who over the last generation, sat back on their fat rear ends, profiting by opening up opportunities to China at the expense/demise of the Australian working tax payers back. Their favourite moto used & used constantly, "We Can't Compete". No kidding mr governments/fat cats. Open your doors to free trade with a nation of 1.6 billion people, as compared to 25/26 million Australians & what exactly did you expect to happen, before we become flooded/overrun?
Where one use to pay for a jumper produced/made in Australia by Australian workers, with Australian dollars, continues to pay the same in Australian currency, for the same jumper made in China, at a tenth of the cost. So what gain is there for the average Australian tax payer, I'll tell you, nothing. Less a whole bunch of cheap imported rubbish for backfill, there is no real gain for the average working tax payers of Australia.
No, I don't blame China for what their government is doing to Australian industry, or the world for that matter, for the temptation of profits made by importing goods from China, tasted sweet at the beginning, but now leaves us with a bitter pill to swallow at the end.  
The Covid-19 Pandemic is one thing, but lets now see how our government stops the decline of Australian jobs? No doubt once again at the expense/cost, of the average working tax payer.
My apologies for my ranting people, for I'm not one much for politics, just something I had to get off my chest.  Smile

Cheers Kon. santa
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3856
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:55 am

Kon, don't blame the government for doing what the people demand. Australians have become addicted to the cheap Chinese products that flood our stores. I don't know anyone why buys only Australian made, even if those products could be found. We buy as much Australian product as we can but it is hard to find. We never shop at places like Aldi where the profits go out of the country but we are the exceptions. How many people supported our car industry? How many support our farmers and refuse to buy American fruit? No don't blame the government for our own greedy consumers who consume far more than they need simply because it is cheap. We have a choice but sadly most of us choose cheap imported products, mainly from China.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:39 pm

The excise duty on spirits is currently $85.87 per litre of pure alcohol, while full-strength beer is taxed at the rate of $50.70 per litre, according to the Australian Tax Office. Wine is taxed at 29 per cent of the wholesale price under the wine equalisation tax.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:07 pm

What the people demand? Shocked If the people demand opening up drug shooting centres & brothels around every corner, or that we resurrect the guillotine just for the sake of crowd amusement, the government should just give it to them no? (you know just to keep everybody happy because of the huge demand). Are you being serious now Jim or what? Has not the average tax paying individual been used/abused long enough, or do we need a couple of centuries more in order to get it right?
If Australians have become addicted to the buying of cheap imported goods, most of which have short term working life & destined as ever-growing backfill in our tips, is because the government has allowed it into to this country & has allowed it to be advertised as such, at the cost of the Australian production/manufacturing industry.
I would prefer buying Australian any day of the week if the goods/items in question were made/produced here & priced according over that of the cheaper made, overseas imported products.
Like you said its hard to find Australian in order to buy Australian, considering all the shops are flooded with cheap overseas products at a ratio of 99 to 1.
You ask for public support for the car industries, then let me ask you a question. When the cost of living is going through the roof & real average wages paid out there, are well bellow the cost of todays living standards, where do you expect the people to turn to, the more expensive home made product, or the much cheaper overseas product?
Would the people buy American fruit (as you put it) if the same fruit were produced by our own farmers here at at the same or cheaper rate?
It were said a couple of months back (by our government) Australia has enough produce/food to feed every man, woman & child including the dog 3 times over & that we have nothing to worry about regarding food shortages & yet a leg of lamb, costs as much as 2 whole lambs exported to China. Shocked  
A few years back our government struck a deal with the US California, during the reign of governor Schwarzenegger, a 10 billion dollar liquid gas contract, consisting of 1 cent a litre, whilst the average Australian consumer here, were paying 50 times plus that a litre.
You ask for support from the people for our local car manufacturing industries, when today they're struggling to support themselves of daily needs. Where was the government giving/offering support to these local car manufacturing Industries? After all, does not all government support come through tax payers dollars, keeping people employed, or does the government need permission from the public, in order to spend tax payers money.
No lets not blame the government who has the power to make or change the law, blame it on the general public who like a spoilt little child, cries out for something & is constantly given what it wants in order to keep it quiet, but for how long?
When the average worker is struggling with everyday debt, due to the sky rocketing cost of living standards, then what choice are they really left with, but turning to the much cheaper imported overseas products, cutting back from this or that in order to make ends meet.
No Jim, lets not blame the government, the ones who have control of running this nation, for they are completely innocent of all charges.  It's easier to blame it on the selfish greedy tax paying people of Australia, for they are the ones in charge of running this nation & not the government. But not a problem, for the government has a solution to all this, for when push comes to shove, the governments answer to all this is that "we're still better off than China" till when?
Enough of politics from me, after all this is a gold detecting/prospecting forum, although at times one wouldn't think so hey? Shocked  Q35  Merry Christmas to all  santa     

Cheers Kon. Q11 santa T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Yep, good one Kon. Let's stop all imports from China. All food imports as we can easily feed every Aussie six times over. Let's shut down all coal and gas power stations. Import only electric cars. Build all wind turbines and solar panels here and creat millions of jobs. Why not? It is what the strident left and according to them all Australians want. If we were to rely only on RE and do all the above it wouldn't be a very merry Christmas. Thank goodness the government will not do that. Merry Christmas anyway.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:21 pm

I hear ya Jim & its not that the cats got my tongue, but when discussing politics (like religion) right or wrong, each one has their own views on matters.
Merry Christmas to you, Cheryl & family.

Cheers Kon.  Q11  santa  rendeer  cheers
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  BEPGOLD Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:00 pm

That’s make two of us drink more and be happy drunken
BEPGOLD
BEPGOLD
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-07-27

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum