Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum amalgamation ?

Go down

Forum amalgamation ? Empty Forum amalgamation ?

Post  Minermike Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 pm

I am not trying to stir things up but what about an amalgamation with another Australian Forum ? The other forum has a lot of members, I find I am spending more time over there . There are more posts per day . I can come here and the same 4 - 5 people are putting up a post . A combined forum would have a stronger voice against some Government proposals . What do you think ?
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Forum amalgamation ? Empty Re: Forum amalgamation ?

Post  PeterInSa Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Mike, I am a member of Prospecting Australia, Detector Prospector the US Forum and also Finders (from maybe 2007?), I tend to look up this Forum and the 2 Prospector Forums daily during Autumn, Winter and Spring and the Finders once a week maybe, and detecting forums not so much during the summer, but the RV Forums most of the year.

I think their are many members here, also on the Prospecting forums ( Oz and US) so cannot see the need.

Peter

PeterInSa
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:47 pm

My problem is putting  up the same post on two forums .  I will have to move to one .   I always try  to put  up a post or reply  that is interesting  .  You have 122  posts can you  post more of interest  ???

Too many people leave it to some body else to put up a post . I try to help every body with my knowledge .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:24 pm

There are 23 views  but only  one person has put  up a reply .   How can a forum survive   like this ?

Always leaving it to some body else .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 pm

G'day Minermike

This forum has gone through many an up & down over the years & has survived it all, as it will survive through the slowing down of the current COVID-19 pandemic (till better times appear ahead).  This is a free for all people forum, available to all or any, from any part of the world who wish to read & gain knowledge freely, without being obliged to contribute in return, less they wish to do so.
There are no laws other than the law for respecting one another when wanting to read content or contribute to the discussion of such. All members can come & go as they please.
I can assure you that many a member on here, (who are also members of multiple, similar in content forums) would have at some stage found themselves in a similar type of dilemma (feeling the guilt of having to contribute to all forums equally), but this to is understandable, for contributing equally the same or similar write ups, on all forums they are a member of, although doable, is not feasible, for it would require most or all of a members free time, leaving that person with little time for other more important things in life. Don't fret yourself over such matters.
The only requirement as a member on this forum, is to contribute what you wish to contribute, when you wish to contribute (content being within reason of course). Other than this requirement, nothing more or less is expected from anyone.
A forum is not about the number of members it has, but more about the quality of its members contributions, for a forum is only as good as the quality of its contributing members & this forum has some very useful information stored up from the past for all to read.
Yes it can seem frustrating at times that the same handful few members, manage to contribute for the many on a regular basis, but I think this also happens on many other forums.
It is unfortunate that the times we live in now are what they are, but change over time is inevitable & all things are bound to change for the better.

Cheers Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3856
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Nightjar, Wombat, Detectist, Minermike, Reg Wilson, pablop, Mike54 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:06 am

Guys,
You both have valid points.
In my opinion the main reason for the drop off in traffic on forums such as this is due to rise of the dreaded keyboard warrior.These individuals through their petty nit picking and stirring cause a lot of people to think twice before posting.
Its a sign of the times. Its easier to sit back and be negative than listen and be positive. This puts a lot of people off contributing. Just my thought

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Wombat, Detectist, Minermike, pablop, rockhunter62, austracker and BEPGOLD like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:04 am

I'm a member of a few Forums too but like the differentiation between them in terms of contributions/purpose and how relaxed and knowledgeable they are. I coin and relic hunt much more often than I can get to a gold nugget area so I don't post much here but enjoy the finds and conversations. I have found I now tailor my posts on the other two forums - in one I provide much more detail, or, if you like, colour, to the posts while the other is simply a post shots of finds and add where I can to other posts. This is directly linked to the keyboard warriors.

This forum has a lot of expertise on it and I'd be sad to see it disappear as have a couple of other excellent forums in the past due to the popularity of PA and the Facebook Forums.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PeterInSa likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am

Feel sure when life returns to normal and the cooler weather returns more will be out enjoying this great hobby. This will result in more prospecting related posts.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2626
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:45 am

Spot on there Nightjar.

I rarely get out to detect in the hot weather and really missed getting out this year during the cooler months. If the lockdown had gone ahead during the summer months it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 pm

I have been restricted by money as much as any thing . Got to go bush next year or it will be to late ....
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm

SWMBO wants to get rid of some of my good stuff. Had a pair of Googles and a snorkel still in the packaging ready to give to the salvos, which I saved because I want to detect in the shallows with my Nox 800 this year. Hope my Nox is waterproof as its probably out of warranty.

A friend does very well in Vic and deep water in SA, but I am not keen on being sharkbait.

PeterInSa
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Do not trust the Nox 800 under water , many bad reports .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 pm

The only analogy I can think of is polygamy,being married to several wives or if you're a lady forum member several men.
You'd love em all, they'd all have their ups and downs Shocked Laughing
At the end of the day though,you would have one favorite??? you would not let on though as your life would not be worth living Laughing affraid
Then there's the person who would say ,ONE'S ruddy enough!! And so it is they'd stick to them.

I too dabble with a few others forums but overall stick to this forum that's free from racism,bigotry and radical politics and that we are fairly tolerant.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2018-05-23

austracker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am

A large forum or amalgamated forum has some advantages . Had my GG&T magazines for sale on this forum for months . Put them on the other forum and they were all gone in few weeks . At least they did not go to the tip .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:06 pm

This forum is mainly as the name imply "Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum"

Forum amalgamation is likely not the answer, I'll say keep them apart.  Exclamation

Last edited by ivanll on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Detectist and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:27 pm

I will always go with the flow , I just put it up for a bit of discussion . Any union will tell you the more members you have , the stronger you are . The " city greenies " stop us from putting 1/2 kilo of dirt , in to a pan . I have seen the mess 4 x 4 drivers have made in National Parks on the Turon . They race up and down any hill trying to get to the top . They do far more destruction than any weekend gold fossicker . Pity I never took any photos .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:28 pm

ivanll wrote:This forum is mainly as the name imply "Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum"

Forum amalgamation is likely not the answer, I'll say keep them apart.  Exclamation

i agree, this forum works well by itself.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-11-17

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you ivanll & llanbric & for as long as I'm in charge of running the show, by itself this forum shall stay.  I have no intention of amalgamating this forum with any other forum, losing its identity of what this forum consists of, is or stands for, for a forum is not just about the number of members it has, but the quality of information produced by its members.
Minermike, need I remind you that this is a privately sponsored & paid for forum free to all & although I allow the freedom of "Off Topic discussion" this forum is & always will be first & foremost, a "Gold Detecting & Prospecting Forum" Not a Minelab Forum, not a Garret Forum, not a Fisher or Whites forum & certainly not a Political or Religious Forum.
BTW, there are no charges nor fees associated for the advertising of wanting to buy or sell, any legitimate items/goods through this forum. Now if anyone wishes to sell an item far more quicker than expected, then there are far more appropriate advertising bodies specifically for the purpose of buying or selling goods/services through them, such that of  Ebay, Gum tree etc.
One thing I am assured of, is that if any member advertises something of immediate interest to another through this forum, then that item/s for sale, don't last on here to long. It all depends on members interest at the time of placing the add.  

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3856
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Nightjar, geof_junk, ivanll, Minermike, Reg Wilson, xmas tree and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:50 pm

I think we had a fair and honest discussion about this , thank you to people that replied . Nothing is lost by having a fair and honest discussion , it is when some people go over board with there views . Thanks to all moderators , this topic is now closed .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:50 pm

Crawling back into my cave until COVID 19 is over ......
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:29 pm

No need to crawl Mike,walk tall  cheers

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum