Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NF Z Coils

Go down

NF Z Coils Empty NF Z Coils

Post  PeterInSa on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am

Am disappointed that a 10 Inch Coil is not the first Z Coil introduced by NF, I am happy with the standard Coil even though its heavy and the new NF 12 inch even though its lighter is reported to have similar depth and sensitivity to the standard coil, so it looks like a longer wait for the 10inch or smaller for me.

However will still be very interested in an in depth comparison.

Have used a 24" Elliptical on a 4500 so that could be a future interest also.

https://www.nuggetfinder.com.au/z-search-coils

PeterInSa
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2018-11-05

rockhunter62 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

NF Z Coils Empty Re: NF Z Coils

Post  Sparrowfart on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Hmm interesting, could be worth a go. Any info as to price? I'm curious to hear if it is noisier than the standard or not. How are NF handling the plug issue? Lots of Questions. Question
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:30 am

Sparrowfart wrote:Hmm interesting, could be worth a go. Any info as to price? I'm curious to hear if it is noisier than the standard or not. How are NF handling the plug issue? Lots of Questions. Question

They have the chip installed so no issues of modding the Z... Should mean no more blown up Z's... Plug straight in...
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm

PeterinSA
 " Am disappointed that a 10 Inch Coil is not the first Z Coil introduced by NF, I am happy with the standard Coil even though its heavy and the new NF 12 inch even though its lighter is reported to have similar depth and sensitivity to the standard coil, so it looks like a longer wait for the 10inch or smaller for me."

Perer, one would hope that NF produce something that is 'considerably ' better and not just as good as. Weight yes, but that is why after market coils are made, to improve the depth, sensitivity, noise ect. Other wise why buy one?

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-04-24

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:03 pm

Two people are searching for big deep nuggets over tough ground and each has the same model tecta and same size & type coils. The only difference being that one is an after-market light weight coil. and the other is a bloody heavy original and gives you the irrates after an hour or so.

Who is likely to find a deep mellow weak large target signal first? The bloke with the heavy coil swinging low and slow with nice smooth sweeps or the bloke with the light weight coil skimming over the ground a tad quickly and maybe somewhat erratically.....Just coz a coil is new and light weight does not mean that it will deliver better results in the field.?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2904
Registration date : 2015-07-03

pablop and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson on Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:20 am

If two people are swinging the same detector and coil looking for deep colours the deciding factors are experience and success history. An idiot swinging 'low and slow' is still an idiot.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2012-05-14

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Adrian, even an inexperienced detectorist, swinging over ground a tad quickly & or maybe somewhat more erratically, has better chance at hearing a faint target signal, when knowing his coil is performing/achieving 25% better depth advantage over a variety of in ground targets, over that of another blokes coil of similar in size/shape, producing 25% less depth advantage.
BTW, there can be more than one reason as to why someone all of a sudden can be seen swinging a coil somewhat a tad quicker & a bit more erratically over ground, & it comes down to (& as Reg has said) either lack of experience, or struck down by the sudden calling of nature. Laughing

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3678
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Reg Wilson and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Ouch! Shite! Geez you blokes are touchy, sorry I spoke. Didn't you notice the question mark at the end of the reply. I was asking for opinions not insults
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Kon re (even an inexperienced detectorist, swinging over ground a tad quickly & or maybe somewhat more erratically, has better chance at hearing a faint target signal, when knowing his coil is performing/achieving 25% better depth advantage over a variety of in ground targets, over that of another blokes coil of similar in size/shape, producing 25% less depth advantage.)

I understand the NF coil has similar depth and sensitivity as the standard coil.... but its not as heavy.

PeterInSa
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:55 am

They have the chip installed so no issues of modding the Z... Should mean no more blown up Z's... Plug straight in...[/quote]

Thanks Imael, It may be woth the wait not having to change the plug. If it works well of course. I usually try to run in normal if at all possible so it would want to be at least as quiet as the standard for me to get one. Then there is price , depth etc. I guess we will just have to wait for info. Basketball
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2010-08-14

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:20 am

Kon61gold wrote:Adrian, even an inexperienced detectorist, swinging over ground a tad quickly & or maybe somewhat more erratically, has better chance at hearing a faint target signal, when knowing his coil is performing/achieving 25% better depth advantage over a variety of in ground targets, over that of another blokes coil of similar in size/shape, producing 25% less depth advantage.
BTW, there can be more than one reason as to why someone all of a sudden can be seen swinging a coil somewhat a tad quicker & a bit more erratically over ground, & it comes down to (& as Reg has said) either lack of experience, or struck down by the sudden calling of nature. Laughing

Cheers Kon. T25

I agree with the last sentence.Laughing

I have located thousands upon thousands of targets by using the low and slow technique as compared to when I detected at a rapid pace. using either vlf or pi tectas. All gold nuggs that I found, both large (large for me is over 10g) and small have been soft mellow signals from surface to maybe 18 or so inches while going slow. So if I ever get back out into the gold fields I will continue to be an idiot.Smile
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Nightjar, Mike54, moredeep and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:02 am

When I said "an idiot swinging low and slow", I was referring to the fact that some people do not know what a deep subtle signal sounds like, only recognising sharp obvious signals, but hey, if you want to class yourself as an idiot adrian, who am I to argue. You know best. (as usual)
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:58 am

Touche'
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:59 pm

Gents, lets not stray far from the main topic here.
Adrian, In no way am I trying to ridicule what you say, for that would be going against all logic/common sense. Going low & slow for the better hearing of faint on surface or in ground deep targets, always has been & is the right way to go.
What I were referring to (after reading your comments) was that, would not a complete armature when first shown & or placed in an area highly likely to contain gold within reach, have far better chance of locating gold even if swinging a little faster or more erratically over that same section of ground, than an experienced detectorist going low/slow, but with far less detection coil depth.
So its not just about experience & going low/slow, but actual depth advantage between one similar in size/shape coil to another, over a specific type/section of ground.
Have we not all heard the saying a top of the line "detector" suited for a specific task, makes even an armature look good, when placed over potentially promising looking ground & in the hands of an experienced detectorist, look even better. That's it end of story.  
PeterInSA I have no doubt that Nugget Finder have put a lot of work into this new 12 or 13 inch design coil for the GPZ & just by the offerings the coil comes with, are a major bonus/plus, but to me, its not about the slight/better weight factor, as much as it is all about coil performance. Keep in mind I talk of "for me only"  (not for the majority of GPZ users), will find it hard to cough up $12 or $1400 dollars for a coil that basically, is close to that in size & performs similar to that of the standard GPZ 14X13. But again, that's only me, but for the ones who have held off for the sake (& rightly so) of not wanting to take a chance in making a very costly mistake by way of blowing up ones detector, I say good on yas. The time has come when one can do all that now, in a more safe & appropriate manner.
As for the true working characteristics of Nugget Finders newly designed GPZ coil, going by Nugget Finders past history & the first release of a number of new size/type coils to be made, leaves me with little doubt, that the newly made Nugget Finder GPZ coil, will or should be up there in performance with the best of them. Again, time will tell.

Cheers gents, Kon.
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Reg Wilson and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

NF Z Coils Empty Low and slow

Post  Reg Wilson on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 pm

The old 'low and slow' doctrine does apply to certain brands of detectors, and sweeping at even a moderate speed these machines can fail to respond to certain targets, especially small or faint ones. I always found this bothersome when detecting (prospecting rather than fossicking) as I like to cover as much ground as possible in a given time. Taking a day to cover an area the size of a tennis court is just not my style.
The beauty of the detector that I now use is that it has the fastest and sharpest target response of any detector I have ever used. Light weight, nicely balanced, and performs well with all coil sizes. Now I am not forced to detect like a tortoise on Prozac, but can cover more ground accurately and quickly than ever before.
Low and slow is now old hat.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I like my Old Hat, fits well and does the job.
 I no longer have  need for a GPZ or the Qed  so I will never exp their performance; would have been nice to give them a try out but as young (28 when dead) Ned said "Such is Life"
I do have tectas that require a fast sweep that  give excellent results on small shallow or large deep targets but I guess low and slow suits my current physicality.

Last edited by adrian ss on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

NF Z Coils Empty N.F,Z Coils

Post  xmas tree on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:19 pm

If it's not larger than the Z coil, and doesn't go any deeper than it, what's the point in buying it? Seems to me you're paying for something no better than the coil you've got. I'll be waiting for a 20" plus coil to increase my chances.

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Travelergold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am

Every body is talking about weight and the new coil will be lighter. If you set up your hipstick right then there is no weight, the hipstick that i made transfers all the weight to my normal jeans belt.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 am

The weight is still there regardless of where you may transfer it. Being trussed up like a Christmas turkey and having to be burdened further with a 'cripple' stick is not my idea of comfortable detecting. There is no excuse for heavy detectors. They do not need to be built this way. It is just expedience on the part of the manufacturer.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

jmp333 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am

Hi Tg, I use the Z Hipstick and the Occy strap from the Z Harness to the shaft, the standard coil gets heavy in the pm.

Have seen a Mt Gambier friends setup that has an AL piece of metal riveted to the back of his harness going over his shoulder and about 120mm to the front with an Occy strap at the end, to his Z shaft this to take the weight of the coil. I should have tried it out, but it looked so agricultural.

The Coil weight hits my lower back muscles, if transferred to the belt/waist that may help.

Any chance of a photo of your Hipstick.

Peter

PeterInSa
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pm

A well balanced detector, even a hefty one takes a lot of strain off the wrist, back and shoulders.
First thing I do with any detector is balance it to the coil being used.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:37 pm

I just use the bungie to my camel back on the 7 when we do 8 to 10 days at a time I fInd day 3 and 4 a bit hard but it’s amazing how the pain goes away when the nuggets start flowing

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1037
Registration date : 2013-07-02

rockhunter62 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:19 pm

For the majority of GPZ user's, the use of the bungee cord coupled to the GPZ's swing arm, is essential & not an option, for I highly doubt anyone using the standard 14x13 GPZ coil on the 7000 without the use of a bungee cord, could get away without any fatigue problems over long periods of swing time.
The New Nugget Finder GPZ coil states that it weighs in at 1000 grams (excluding lower shaft), whereas the standard Minelab GPZ coil weighs in at a hefty 1350gm +/- a gram excluding lower shaft. This in-itself is a bonus in weight factor alone, when swinging the coil for prolonged periods of time.
Joe, (less any other unexpected further delays) nothing more has been said from NF about the release date of their new 12 inch GPZ coil. So I take it we can expect them to be released sometime this month of September 2020.

Cheers Kon.  T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 pm

I hear ya kon, first one I tested before I brought mine old mate didn’t have a bungie and no good way to heavy 🙄 will keep an eye out for the realise date as I’m keen to see how they go 👍

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Joe, you are 38 years old FFS. When I was your age I too could swing bloody great heavy prototype detectors with coils that made the stem bend. We'll see how many rooted joints you have when you get to my age.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 pm

A few more roots and a few more joints mate I’m there😜

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:28 am

All shist aside ya right reg they don’t need to be made like they are the gpx format was the go no need for rubbish bin lid coils they are light and easy to use just lucky the 7 pulls the gold 😯

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Reg Wilson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum