Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G'day Everyone!!

Go down

G'day Everyone!! Empty G'day Everyone!!

Post  DrummerBoy on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:31 pm

G'day all!
I am a drum-teacher located in VIC and have been looking for a new hobby for sometime.
Over the isolation period something snapped in me and I spent a couple of weeks researching detectors and finally purchased a Gold Monster 1000, pans, mining right and membership to PMAV.
I would of loved to invest a little more but unfortunately could not justify it at this point with a 5yr and 5mnth old daughters.
I have been trying to "cut my teeth" just finding targets on my property and have ventured out to the local beaches/crown land unsuccessfully trying to find old trinket's, however I have cleared a fair bit of rubbish from the ground haha!
We will probably head up Ballarat-Maryborough area eventually as my partner is from there and has family still living there, she still tells me the story of the $90,000 nugget two of her fathers mates found in the 90s.
I am very green with all of this and am very happy to find this community, there is so much information I am trying no to get overwhelmed!!
Here's to hoping in the future I'll have some good finds to post.

Cheers,
Jake
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-06-09

Back to top Go down

G'day Everyone!! Empty Re: G'day Everyone!!

Post  moredeep on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Jake,as we always say finding a bit of gold is the added bonus of this hobby.
Getting out into the bush and enjoying the solitude is what it's all about ,going out with a few friends is a bonus as well.
Good luck with the monster ,it'll find gold but not at depth,look for shallow/bed rocky type ground/surfaced area's as well.
plenty of info and advice here.

Cheers and good luck

moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  DrummerBoy on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks mate.
In retrospect I should have done a little more research before lashing out, but fingers crossed I'll find some nugs and be able to justify an upgrade.
I'm thinking about detecting around Enfield State Park to get me started but still looking at maps and reading to try find the best spots.

Cheers,
Jake
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:45 am

Hi DrummerBoy and welcome to the forum.
You stated that you are looking at going to Enfield State Park. Be very careful mate as most State Parks you can't detect in. This is including "National Parks" as well. We have one here in Maryborough called "Paddy Rangers State Park" there is 2 areas. One area is Ok to detect in. (what we call the good boy area) and the other area is a "No Go" zone for detecting. (Naughty boy area) If you get caught in a an area where detecting is not allowed by a Park Ranger you could be find big time. They do not now except the excuse of "I did not know" as they will tell you, "it is up to you to find out". You would be better of just sticking to State Forest. There your OK
wombat  Wink

Management

Number of posts : 4728
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  DrummerBoy on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:44 am

Ah, thanks for that tip Wombat. It's hard to find clear information available on the government sites or its outdated due to new laws or whatever. One of the reasons I was heading to Enfield was this page:

earthresources.vic.gov.au/licensing-approvals/recreational-fossicking/where-you-can-prospect-and-fossick
(I can't post actual links yet due to being a new member).

However, I was reading a post on this forum from 2013 it seemed like people could only really detect a small dedicated area around misery creek. Has there been even more restrictions!? Bloody Vic is slowly turning into a police state.
Is there any maps or websites that have the State Forests or should I just spend a bit more time with Google Maps/Earth?
Cheers,
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am

Be careful with Enfield , Drummerboy. I have maps  of the  areas you are permitted to fossick around there which were from the Parks vic website ,but they took the maps down about 10 months` ago. I emailed them to clarify if the situation had changed since they state on the website that you can fossick ,but don`t actually mark the areas on the map they provide at the moment.  After a couple of emails back and forth and not getting the proper answers ,including being told i could prospect in an area i know is heritage listed because of an old mining operation  ( quartz crushing ) and is a BIG no - go zone ,  i have been advised  a higher authority ( an expert in the field , i am told )  will contact me to clarify  the current  permitted areas.  That was 5 weeks` ago.  Even the DELWP people can`t give me answers. DELWP  tell me to ask Earth Resources who ask me to contact Parks Vic , who are part of DELWP. Frustrating.
soldier of fortune
soldier of fortune
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

The other thing is you WERE allowed to fossick along the Misery Creek , but there is currently no water in it.

Last edited by soldier of fortune on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
soldier of fortune
soldier of fortune
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DrummerBoy on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Wow that is ridiculous. I had a similar experience calling parks Victoria, they basically said go ham until the website states otherwise but I honestly could not do that now knowing there is historical areas.
You're right about frustrating, I just want to prospect and have some fun but also want to respect restrictions and not give prospectors/detectorists a bad name by doing the wrong thing.
Any advice on good places to start for a beginner? Tempted to head up to Paddy's Ranges after Wombats suggestion..

Cheers
Drummerboy
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DrummerBoy on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Sorry if I'm being forward but could you send me the Enfield map you have from ParksVic? Just in case I do end up there Id like to adhere to the prospecting areas
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:21 pm

PM sent.
soldier of fortune
soldier of fortune
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DrummerBoy on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks mate!
DrummerBoy
DrummerBoy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:03 pm

Not a problem Its all good
soldier of fortune
soldier of fortune
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum