Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://www.x-coils.com/

Back to top Go down

Tanami Track Empty Re: Tanami Track

Post  Kon61gold on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Hopefully Dave, after all, its a 1000 klm of major dirt road, passing through several a gold field along its stretch, right up & onto the Great Northern HWY, leading to the Mueller Ranges on your left, followed by Halls Creek to your right & all the way up to the top end.
Bitumen, would make it a lot safer to traverse through & speed things up nicely for many a transport trucker/vehicle, not to mention saving heaps on vehicle wear/tear, especially if heavy rain has hit the track along its length, turning the Tanami Road, into a quagmire/nightmare to travel through.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 3558
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:45 pm

The problem could be, based on other similar roads across the country that have been sealed, is that it will be only a single lane of bitumen.

Having traversed the Tanami quite a few times, we have always encountered heavy transport trucks which do hammer that road, especially on bends.
A single lane of bitumen would soon end up with a 10 cm. sharp drop off at the edge, and unless more frequently graded up than it is now will play havoc with the soft wall radial tyres so commonly used on 4wd vehicles.

The road from Karumba to Georgetown is an example, unless recently graded the single bitumen lane can be quite a hazard.
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:30 pm

There is still some single lane stuff west of Georgetown, but now lots of good 2 lane road and most bends are 2 lane. I have travelled on it several times in the last 5 years and wasn't conerned.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold on Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks for that news dave. We worked at balgo and nathan was a good bloke there. Balgo was a good little community. And some very good footballers to. The balgo pound might bring in more tourists there, something nobody really new about or had even heard of. A very pretty spot.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah well I wouldn't be holding my breath on a out come ,if it does happen ,probably wont go much past the Granites any way , as they would be the main benafators ,but at the same token  contribute to much of the maintaince as well .Pity as I've always reckoned it should be part of our National H'ways Routes .I've noticed too ,that many people complain about road condtion's ,but for us that live & work in those areas ,consider it the ''NORM'' until we come far South or East ,and realize where our road funding go's Razz But yeah i'd highly recommend that RD  if ya want to test your suspension out .When I was working out that way some 5-6 yrs ago for the brown brothers ,they where finishing off a section towards Yueduemo ,but whilst it may also be said 'that it's easier said than done '' those projects are some times years in the making ,having to go thru sensitive negotations  ,before a peace treaty can be sighn'd .Rabbit Flat Road house was closed when I was out there ,however '' RUMOUR '' had it that one of the ''corporations '' had expressed a keenness to buy it ,on the provision that it had a current alcohol liscense and was transferable ,don't know how it got on .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:56 pm

boobook wrote:The problem could be, based on other similar roads across the country that have been sealed, is that it will be only a single lane of bitumen.

Having traversed the Tanami quite a few times, we have always encountered heavy transport trucks which do hammer that road, especially on bends.
A single lane of bitumen would soon end up with a 10 cm. sharp drop off at the edge, and unless more frequently graded up than it is now will play havoc with the soft wall radial tyres so commonly used on 4wd vehicles.

The road from Karumba to Georgetown is an example, unless recently graded the single bitumen lane can be quite a hazard.
mike

Yeah its a good road now between Kurumba and Georgetown .Another good road slowly in the making ( albeit a gravel one ) is between Richmond and Croydon ,for those who are coming up from the south ,rather than go further out and up thru Julia Creek . I've had a couple of laps up that way on the grader laying out gravel on the worst of the sandy patches ,they do every year ,and the roads starting to come up really good ,surprised me too at the volume of traffic coming thru that way on their way up to Kurumba , so word must be getting out .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Yes , I went to Tanami  before the big miners moved in . 1970 "s   ??   Got some photos , called in at Rabbit's   Flat . Fortified  place ....

Windmill at the Tanami bore was not working , shaft was broken .

Last edited by Minermike on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info .)
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum