Great "C" Size Rechargables

Go down

Great "C" Size Rechargables Empty Great "C" Size Rechargables

Post  Sharkbait on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 pm

G'day all,
Just thought i'd post a link to a company that sells good rechargeable batteries.

I've been using these in my SDC for a while now,and they've been brilliant T06
This is a really good price in my book for Tenergy rechargables. Wink

I'm not associated with these people in any way,just looked like a good deal Very Happy

Cheers....Dave

https://www.u-buy.com.au/search/index/view/product/B00405F862/s/tenergy-premium-rechargeable-c-batteries-high-capacity-5000mah-nimh-c-size-battery-c-cell-battery-8-pack/store/store
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Great "C" Size Rechargables Empty Re: Great "C" Size Rechargables

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 am

That 8 x 5000 mah pack is on Aust Ebay for 136.00 AUD. Seems a bit high to me?

A bit later:
Been looking at a few other brands and maybe that 136 is not so bad after-all. Very Happy

Last edited by adrian ss on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2587
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

We purchased the Woody-Foot 18650 li-ion battery adapters and used then for 6 weeks this year.
Very happy with performance.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2502
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm

I have some Powertech NiMh 4500 mah.
These actually deliver 4000 mah and run the SDC for the best part of daylight hours with a lunch break thrown in.

Also am currently using Digital Power 6000 mah C Cells in the SDC that also give a good days detecting.
These batteries actually test at 4900 mah......So oils aint oils Sol.

The most stable performance (smoothest threshold) from the SDC was achieved with Eveready Gold C Cells (1.5 volt alkalines). These run the SDC for near on as long as the Powertech's.

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm

adrian ss wrote:I have some Powertech NiMh 4500 mah.
These actually deliver 4000 mah and run the SDC for the best part of daylight hours with a lunch break thrown in.

Also am currently using Digital Power 6000 mah C Cells in the SDC that also give a good days detecting.
These batteries actually test at 4900 mah......So oils aint oils Sol.

The most stable performance (smoothest threshold) from the SDC was achieved with Eveready Gold C Cells (1.5 volt alkalines).  These run the SDC for near on as long as the Powertech's.

G'day Adrian, can you please explain how a particular type/brand of battery can run the SDC2300 with the "(smoothest threshold)" compared to another brand.

Granted different batteries will run for longer or shorter times depending on Mah etc

All I know is the Li-Ion 18650 setup with the adapter tubes run the SDC2300 at full power all day long, and shut off at around 6v, which is still higher than where the rechargable alkaline "C" cell ones start at from the start of the day.

And the absolute best part of the 18650 setup is they don't have the annoying dropout/shut down stop start problem that the supplied "C" cell do

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 6082

https://www.x-coils.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Dave,
I'd hazard a guess that the NiMh batteries running at 1.2V versus the original 1.5V Alkaline batteries may have something to do with Adrians comment.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 pm

My comments are based on my exp with the SDC and the various type batts that I have used.
There seems to be little doubt in my mind that the extra volts of the alkalines seems to smooth the SDC threshold. I have not the remotest clue why this would be......Maybe less noise is generated within the alkalines or maybe the overall cct system likes a few more volts here and there.

What I do know is that when using the SDC at the beach for just a days detecting I fit the alkalines and if staying for a few days I fit the rechargeable NiMh C cells.

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:09 pm

adrian ss wrote:My comments are based on my exp with the SDC and the various type batts that I have used.
There seems to be little doubt in my mind that the extra volts of the alkalines seems to smooth the SDC threshold. I have not the remotest clue why this would be......Maybe less noise is generated within the alkalines or maybe the overall cct system likes a few more volts here and there.

What I do know is that when using the SDC at the beach for just a days detecting I fit the alkalines and if staying for a few days I fit the rechargeable NiMh C cells.

Yes this is kind of what I am thinking also, but I have not been able to get a solid answer from anyone that should know for sure.

What you say is 4 x "C" cell rechargeable 1.2v each add up to 4.8 volts, 4 x "C" cell non rechargeable 1.5v each add up to 6.0v and so you notice a smoother running machine. Now with the 2 x Li-Ion 18650 rechargeable rated at 3.7v each add up to 7.4v and actually charge up to 4v each so in reallity are adding up to 8v and run all day and when at the end of about 10 hours are still at 6v or a bit more.

This is where the extra power of the 18650's is getting a benefit of running the detector better as yo can see from just by using a slightly higher volt battery in your example in your post.

I don't know if you ever tried the 18650 setup, but we have used this setup in the 2300 now for more than two years and only keep the "C" cells as a backup battery supply incase of, forgot to charge the others.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 6082

https://www.x-coils.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi Dave.
I have not used the lithium ions because when I asked Minelab quite some time ago if it would be ok to run the SDC at 8 volts I was told if the detector failed while using these batteries 3.7 volt batts the warranty might be voided. I am also aware that a number of people using the Lithium Ions have not had any problems. I am just not prepared to take the chance.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum