Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

necessity is the mother of invention

+2
deutran
Axtyr
6 posters

Go down

necessity is the mother of invention Empty necessity is the mother of invention

Post  moredeep Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi all,after having snapped a few handles over the years I got sick of paying big bucks for a replacement.
So I scratched the old brain box and come up with a 7 dollar solution,it's a rolling pin from one of those cheap shops.
It's rough as guts but tough as nails.I used a 7/8 th wood drill for the hole/stem, I didn't have a lathe to reduce diameter of handle so the old bench grinder worked a treat,a little smokey though Rolling Eyes 8 months on and its still going strong.
If you have any "mother of inventions to share" it would be great to see them.
ps, don't share your ideas if you plan do to mass produce your product,   GET A COPY RIGHT!!! CAUSE SOME BUGGER WILL FLOG IT.

Cheers, moredeep

necessity is the mother of invention 20180610

necessity is the mother of invention 20180611
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1853
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

necessity is the mother of invention Empty Re: necessity is the mother of invention

Post  moredeep Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm

I meant [PATENT] NOT COPY RIGHT Embarassed
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

necessity is the mother of invention Empty Re: necessity is the mother of invention

Post  Axtyr Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 am

Not a bad setup there Moredeep.

I don't understand why Minelab will sell you a handle for the SD series machines separately, and sell you the cable that is used in the handle of the GPX machines, but not sell you a separate handle for the GPX machines without the cable. Other than for the money.

I have broken one GPX handle and bought a SD handle and drilled it out to suit. Worked a treat.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Now I've seen it all,a classic solution to an ongoing problem.It will probably last longer than the original as well.Good job Moredeep.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  flyspecks Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

Q38 Q38 Well done moredeep, that's fixed it. Q38
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks all, I've tried on a several occasions to break the ugly thing.
I've tried leaning on it after a big dig, being exhausted it acted as an accidental crutch , also after the HOP SKIP AND TRIP then stumble Embarassed.
I'll keep on bush bashing so it can earn it's keep Laughing
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm

cheers
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:38 am

And you don't get a whack on the head from the missus when you get home late without any gold. Coz, you pinched her rolling pin. Very Happy
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm worried about the other half of the rolling pin being used Shocked Shocked cyclops Laughing

Last edited by moredeep on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down