Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't drop it.

+4
Kon61gold
Axtyr
AU_Toe
joe82
8 posters

Go down

Don't drop it. Empty Don't drop it.

Post  Axtyr Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:04 pm

G'day everyone.

Another trip out to the Whipstick and I finally got my first piece of gold from there. No need to put up a picture. Just imagine the head of a pin then divide it by 2.
0.07 gram. Sorry, that weight was in GRAINS, 0.045 grams to be precise. There hasn't been too much posted lately so I thought I would amuse everyone.

Regards Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Don't drop it. Empty Re: Don't drop it.

Post  Guest Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Well done mate. From the size you've indicated there is only one way to go, and that is "UP"
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:13 am

Cool cool mate

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 am

G'Day Axtyr

Axtyr wrote:I finally got my first piece of gold from there

How long have you been trying ?

Have you changed your 'technique' ?
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2014-02-09

http://ozgold.itis.nu/

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 am

AU_Toe, this was probably my fourth trip to the Whipstick with the 7000. The area looks promising so it's just a matter of putting in the hours.
I haven't changed anything. There seems to be a lot of hot rocks out there as well. I get big booming sounds from them and when you break them up they go a lot quieter.

I did stop for a quick detect near Myer's Flat back in about 1990 with the 15000 and picked up an old Chinese coin.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:04 pm

G'Day Axtyr

Thanks for the quick reply Smile

Axtyr wrote:it's just a matter of putting in the hours.

I wish it was only hours, I started back in 2013, so its been a few years for me, but being of Scottish extraction I not going to give up affraid

Axtyr wrote:There seems to be a lot of hot rocks out there as well. I get big booming sounds from them and when you break them up they go a lot quieter.

Now that is something I have not thought about much, I went back to one of the 1st places I ever visited in Mt Crawford last week, I was told it was full of hot rocks, I wanted to find out what hot rocks are like, there are 3 x mine shafts so the old timer must have been getting onto something.

Detecting has been one big long experiment for me, I just think of it as a way to get the 10000 steps in a day ( good exercise ) I took the old Xterra 705 originally, I took the SDC 23K last week & had almost no problems with Hot Rocks ( another box ticked with the 23K ) like I did with the 705, but still no AU lol!
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:05 pm

AU_Toe.

If there was gold there the 2300 will find it. If the area you are in has mine shafts then if they are deep then the gold is also deep and you probably won't find anything in that area unless there was a field of alluvial gold. The 2300 doesn't go very deep and is more suited to shallow gold, but it will find deeper larger nuggets.

If you haven't found anything at all in the years you have been detecting then you are either not running the coil over the ground properly or you are visiting areas that aren't productive. The 2300 is very good and will pick up very tiny pieces so if it is there then you should find it. Keep the coil close to the ground and parallel to it and do some research on the areas you visit. I understand it is pretty hard finding anything there in S.A. If you are finding lead shot then the detector is working fine.

The main reason I am getting signals from the hot rocks is because I am running the 7000 in NORMAL mode. If I get a suspect hot rock I change the setting to DIFFICULT and it usually disappears. If it doesn't then I get excited.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Ahh don't worry to much about flashing that find there Axtyr, for the next model above the 7000 (7500) won't be using a coil. Instead the coil will be replaced with a form of sieve/pan underneath combination, with some form of surface ground scrape hoppers, connected to either side of sieve/pan. This way when one swings the 7500 from left to right, surface dirt will automatically be forced up through the side hoppers, via a non return dirt valve, both sieving the dirt, whilst panning it off at the same time, trapping the finest of surface gold specks, with every swing.  Shocked Q35

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:02 am

kon - a gold detectorist would call that -- a wet dream Very Happy

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Funny about that Kon.

As I was on my way home and got to the end of Whipstick road there is a dam there. Someone was there with their gold pans and sieves and SDC2300.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:57 am

Yep, that be right Axtyr. Wet dream indeed Kev. Shocked Q35

Cheers gents, Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldnQuartz Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm

So given your time input, that's about the most valuable piece of gold you've ever found on a cost recovery basis!

How on earth did you even ping something like that? Using a 2300?

GoldnQuartz
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm

GoldnQuartz, it was with the 7000. The smallest I've found with this detector is 0.026 gram. They have to be on the surface.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 pm

I was in the whipstick over the weekend with our club. I noticed a Melbourne club camping just down the road. Some of their members were doing some panning.
Our 2300 users got small bits like Axtyr found. One new member found a 11 grammer and another newer member got two for 14 grams. I wandered the bush and found nothing.

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 pm

G'Day Axtyr

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry I didnt reply I missed this post Sad

Axtyr wrote:AU_Toe.

If there was gold there the 2300 will find it. If the area you are in has mine shafts then if they are deep then the gold is also deep and you probably won't find anything in that area unless there was a field of alluvial gold. The 2300 doesn't go very deep and is more suited to shallow gold, but it will find deeper larger nuggets.

Thats what I'm looking for, big heavy multi. kg AU  affraid

Remember what Dr Karl said, if all the gold in the mantel was brought to the surface, it would be a layer of 0.5 mtr thick AU over the whole surface of the planet, but, that might mess up the gold price  sunny

Axtyr wrote:
If you haven't found anything at all in the years you have been detecting then you are either not running the coil over the ground properly or you are visiting areas that aren't productive.

I have been going out for 5+ years & no AU, I recently went on a 4 hour course ( approx. 4 weeks ago ) with phasetechnical.com.au & the only thing Nenad was I was sometimes swing too fast, so I have really slowed down.

Axtyr wrote:
The 2300 is very good and will pick up very tiny pieces so if it is there then you should find it. Keep the coil close to the ground and parallel to it and do some research on the areas you visit. I understand it is pretty hard finding anything there in S.A. If you are finding lead shot then the detector is working fine.

I have been out 10-15 times since I went on the course & still found only bullets ( mainly 308 ), 22s, buck shot, wire, foil, buckles etc. so the 23K is working fine, I  wear a gold ring on my 2nd toe ( hence the name ) & I usually will pass the detector over the ring & then compare the detector sound 'noise' of the target to the AU Toe so I can 'nominiate' what I think the target is, I have never had a target that sounds like my AU Toe.

What I have really noticed with the 23K compared to x705 is if you move 90 Deg. on a target with a 23K when it is a slight change in the hum, you will then get the steel over load ( bullet etc. ) sound, the xterra didnt do this. So they have more programming in the 23K.

So this means I'm finding targets, but, I cannot get over some AU, which is Nenad's ( detector training day ) summing up of my situation, I'm all good as long as when I do find a nugget, I cant carry it back to the car & I'm hoping to have this problem in the near future cheers

I'm also thinking of going on one of these 'courses' -> http://goldandrelics.com.au/gold-prospecting-adventures/10-day-western-australia-tag-a-long-gold-prospecting-adventure

I was in the GT last school holidays, but went with the Boss & my 11YO boy, so it was only a few hours each day, then they got bored Suspect

If someone in the GT would be happy to take me out for a few days I'm happy to pay $$$s to them as GT is much closer to the Barossa Valley than WA & I cant really get 2 weeks away from work to go to WA.

In some ways my situation has taught me to get creative to 'pay' for the trips, I have a few bonsai's in the forest which are coming along really well, I collect fire wood, rose quartz ( hoping to sell on ebay ) etc. etc. etc. plus I'm slowly getting fit
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Don't drop it. Empty RE: Don't drop it

Post  dundiggin Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 pm

I find it somewhat hard to believe that detectorists having multiple detectors in their arsenal are not finding gold..If I had multiple detectors and not getting gold I would visit one of those people that would teach me how to save money or start an investment portfolio. The SDC treated me well, nothing big and the smallest was about the size of a full stop at the end of a sentence... If not finding gold then technique must be lagging.. dundiggin.

dundiggin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am

So you are calling me a liar, well I wont be coming back here
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 am

AU_Toe.

If you have put that much effort into getting proper training then it can only be bad luck that is following you. Sometimes it just runs away from you when you approach it with the detector.

Maybe half way through the day you start getting dejected and then your technique and concentration just get blown away. I know mine does. I was telling my friend yesterday that when I bought my Minelab 15000 back in 1986, at the end of the day all I wanted to do was wrap it around a tree after finding nothing.

Keep going at it. If you want to hook up with someone in the GT then I suggest you organise your time here then put in a request on this or another forum for a meet up before getting here. I am sure someone will put their hand up to show you the ropes and some areas in Vic.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Don't drop it. Empty RE: Don't drop it

Post  dundiggin Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:23 pm

I too have been in that position axtyr and I know I wasn't the only one who wanted to wrap the Garrat green machine around a tree.. So having a break for some years gave me time to meditate on technique and personal frustrations to the end that when I got a GP and later the SDC I managed myself a lot better and the gold started to come my way..Even from flogged out ground.. Nothing big, but gold nonetheless and there is perhaps nothing so pleasurable as finishing the day with a piece or pieces of the yeller. (Great stuff) And don't worry about size.. gold is gold.... my idle times may or may not have cost me mountains of gold but I couldn't care less about that as those thoughts would bring only further frustrations..Be happy and enjoy the present!! My experience may help others.... dundiggin

dundiggin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-05-12

Back to top Go down