Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find ya way back

+4
bicter
skookumchuck
boobook
wayneo58
8 posters

Go down

Find ya way back  Empty Find ya way back

Post  wayneo58 Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 am

Has anyone used the trackback gps from Bushnell, Garmin looking to buy but want some feed back first .

wayneo

wayneo58
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-02-16

Back to top Go down

Find ya way back  Empty Re: Find ya way back

Post  boobook Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am

The Garmin rino 650 that I use has a trakback feature that works well. You simply follow the screen track, however there is another feature called "man overboard" (mob) which gives you a compass bearing direct back to camp. This can mean you can meander around with a track logged to retrace or take a direct compass route back to camp.
This gps has many useful feature plus a variable 1/2 - 5w. 80 ch. uhf radio/transmitter.
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 am

I have one and find it very quick and easy to use. Same as any gps but does not have much storage or detail, just points to your car and tells you how far, but quicker, lighter and simple to use, I bought the cheaper 3 location bushnell tracker. Turn on push button to plot in car location turn off, and when you want to go back to your car, turn on and the arrow comes up pointing at your car and tells you the distance. I still use my garmin Oregon for backup and detail though to store waypoints and finds. Handy unit, If I lost it I would buy another.

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm

boobook wrote:The Garmin rino 650 that I use has a trakback feature that works well. You simply follow the screen track, however there is another feature called "man overboard" (mob) which gives you a compass bearing direct back to camp. This can mean you can meander around with a track logged to retrace or take a direct compass route back to camp.
This gps has many useful feature plus a variable 1/2 - 5w. 80 ch. uhf radio/transmitter.
Mike

These Garmins are the best, there are few little quirks you need to get to know but at the end of the day they bring you home.
One of many on ebay;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-Rino-650-Handheld-GPS/281300467830?hash=item417ed08076:g:AxMAAOSwM7lak90b

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Find ya way back  Empty backtrack gps

Post  skookumchuck Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 am

they are good. simple, easy to use . i have one and use it all the time they only have 3waypoints, home, car, & star. which for a backtrak you only need one. although i also have a garmin gps as a backup. if fact i have two backtrack gps' which i give out to friends if they come with me. they are relatively cheap compared to a garmin or other brands.
cheers

skookumchuck
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 am

I have an early version ( https://gearpatrol.com/2008/10/29/bushnell-backtrack/ ) of the Bushnell Backtrack. They are quite helpful.
Be aware that this version loses all stored coordunates when you change batteries.
Don't head out with tired batteries or they coud go flat at the worst possible time and even if you are carrying spare batteries, changing them doesn't help a lot.
Possibly the newer versions have overcome this problem. This would need to be confirmed.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm

I would always recommend a GPS to find your way back to camp. However I use my iPhone (in Otterbox) when walking for offline map navigation.
A really good accurate and free back to base application I use is "Locatier". It always puts the last place you marked at the top of the list and the thing is very accurate in sending you back to camp, working offline just using your phone GPS.  In history it shows the distance and direction to the last 10 or so places you have mapped on the one screen and you just scroll down for more. This has been good when walking an area over days and looking for gold because it tells you how close you are to other gold spots you may of marked when you were roaming around over the last few days. The feature actually led me to a line of gold spots between two places when i found some gold  and noticed on the app I had also found gold two days earlier a km over the hill from where I was.
cheers Steve
PS The app may only be available for iPhone...have not checked for it in android
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:33 am

♫♫In the year 2525, we may get reliable mobile reception in the WA goldfields. ♫♫ Very Happy cheers

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I still use the old yellow Garmin eTrex, never had a problem....so far! Rolling Eyes
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:45 am

Nightjar, I remember that song, bought back memories of a different life

peterau
Contributor