Creswick ancient riverbed

Go down

Creswick ancient riverbed Empty Creswick ancient riverbed

Post  keeif12 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Gday guys was after a bit of advice. Was in Creswick the last few days and we came across some old workings at the very top of a hill that was an ancient river bed. There was what looked like large tailings piles everywhere that was full of football sized rounded rocks down to large marble size but little small gravel so looked like it had been worked. I was wondering how they managed to wash it all so far up from a water source. There was a dam about 150m away but no water races to this particular spot. Not far from the tailings piles there looked like stockpiles of ready to be washed heaps of which I took a little home to sample and found some pretty nice gold in it. Also wondering why these stockpiles hadn't been worked. They looked old as some of the piles now had trees that looked at least 80+ years old. You could also see where they had blasted the sides of the hills with hoses and at the top not far from the stock piles was a shaft that went on approx 45 degree angle for about 5m into the hill with a T intersection going off in both directions. Looked as though they were following the gravels into the hillside. Wish I was able to take a photo but my phone had died on me at the time. Any info would be great. Cheers guys

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Creswick ancient riverbed Empty Re: Creswick ancient riverbed

Post  Maldon Gold Centre on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 pm

keeif12 wrote:Gday guys was after a bit of advice. Was in Creswick the last few days and we came across some old workings at the very top of a hill that was an ancient river bed. There was what looked like large tailings piles everywhere that was full of football sized rounded rocks down to large marble size but little small gravel so looked like it had been worked. I was wondering how they managed to wash it all so far up from a water source. There was a dam about 150m away but no water races to this particular spot. Not far from the tailings piles there looked like stockpiles of ready to be washed heaps of which I took a little home to sample and found some pretty nice gold in it. Also wondering why these stockpiles hadn't been worked. They looked old as some of the piles now had trees that looked at least 80+ years old. You could also see where they had blasted the sides of the hills with hoses and at the top not far from the stock piles was a shaft that went on approx 45 degree angle for about 5m into the hill with a T intersection going off in both directions. Looked as though they were following the gravels into the hillside. Wish I was able to take a photo but my phone had died on me at the time. Any info would be great. Cheers guys

From your description and the age of the trees, I would hazard a guess that this was a water jet elevated sluicing area in the early 20th century. There are areas in Creswick where elevated hydraulic sluicing occurred in the late 1900s to early 1920s where much of the infrastructure - wooden races etc - have all disappeared but the remains of the workings are easy to see.
Maldon Gold Centre
Maldon Gold Centre
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-10-20

Back to top Go down

Creswick ancient riverbed Empty Re: Creswick ancient riverbed

Post  keeif12 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Cheers mate thanks for that. Im always trying to guess what they were up to up there and come up confused at times. Im stunned at how they managed what they did without heavy machinery. They were tough determined individuals.

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum