Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago

+2
nero_design
joe82
6 posters

Go down

Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago Empty Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago

Post  Guest Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

Found by Gold Prospectors in Nth. Qld.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/space-rock-found-in-gulf-tells-secrets-from-four-billion-years-ago-20170921-p4yw18.html
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago Empty Re: Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago

Post  joe82 Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm

very interesting info there mate Very Happy thanks for sharing

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago Empty Re: Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago

Post  nero_design Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Agreed. Very interesting. Quite a few fossickers have found interesting meteorites. I found one that was too large to dig out and when I returned, the area had been bulldozed completely (for unrelated reasons) and I couldn't find it again. I've made 9 trips back there to find it without any luck yet. Planning a 10th trip.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:28 am

Meteorite found in Qld Gulf tells secrets from 4 billion years ago Img_0413
here is one from the same area its 9.4kg

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for sharing Joe,
A mate detected a huge piece identical to this photo in the Wilson's Patch area, almost 20 years ago. It weighs about 40kg, extremely heavy for its size.
The detector goes wild when waved over it.
We have tried to encourage him to get it positively identified to no avail, it lays in his garden with his other memorabilia.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 am

hey mate 40kg if its the real deal could be worth a small island Shocked

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Heard the story of a guy that had plenty of gold , so he melted it down and made a small brick shape. He then painted it black and used it as a door stop !

Another story I heard was that Diggers in PNG during WW 11 got some gold , so they melted it down into the shape of spanners. These were also painted and put in with there tools to get it back in to Australia.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Minermike wrote:Heard the story of a guy that had plenty of gold , so he melted it down and made a small brick  shape.    He then painted it black and used it as a door stop  !

Another story I heard was that Diggers in PNG   during  WW 11   got some gold ,  so they melted it down into the  shape of spanners.  These were also painted  and put in with there tools  to get it back in to  Australia.

A mate of mine while in the RAAF was into buying gold and he had an gold ingot painted black that he used as a door stop. Shocked
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 am

have been intouch with the Brisbane museum and they may be interested in this rock, a lot of leagel stuff to deal through, will keep posted,cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

Should have kept it quiet mate.
The Museum and Unis will get it free through legal channels and you will get a thank you and a pat on the back.
I would not part with it for under 2 mill
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 am

When my mate gets home from his prospecting trip will see if I can get a photo of his specimen and compare with Joes.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

hey mate do that! it will be interesting to see, hey Adrian like ya figure mate, the legeal side of things are going to take time but it can happen

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hiluxer Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Wombat wrote:Found by Gold Prospectors in Nth. Qld.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/space-rock-found-in-gulf-tells-secrets-from-four-billion-years-ago-20170921-p4yw18.html
wombat Wink
Here's another article today with more info about the same meteorite:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/meteorite-worth-100000-proving-priceless-to-qld-scientists/9042334

hiluxer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:22 am

be buggered hey, that's very interesting to say the least, whould like to see it to realy compare mine

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 pm

If you think you have found a meteorite then this vid might be of some help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhlbntm3-tE
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down