The joys of modern cars

Go down

The joys of modern cars Empty The joys of modern cars

Post  deutran on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Well to get straight to the point I was out for a days prospecting and upon starting the car to come home the brake failure lights all came up ABS,Traction control and brake failure plus the Speedo stopped working.I could barely get home as the transmission went into orbit reving and kicking.
Took it to the local mechanic who was stumped said it probably needed a new ABS module.
I ended up looking up the problem online and thanks to helpful car forum members I replaced the spark plugs and problem fixed.
I think I'll go back to an early model car without all the gadgetry so at least when something simple goes wrong it doesn't disable the whole car.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

The joys of modern cars Empty Re: The joys of modern cars

Post  phoenix on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 pm

All that drama for a lousy set of plugs. Well done finding the problem Steve.
cheers
phoenix
phoenix
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-02-20

Back to top Go down

The joys of modern cars Empty Car fix

Post  ttrash on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Well thought out Steve

May we ask what make it is ? Shocked Shocked
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ringpull on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm

All late model cars have an OBD2 data link connection that your friendly mechanic plugs his computer scanner in to test for any fault codes. If and when he finds a fault he can reset it and away you go … until the next fault code! So what do you do when you’re in the scrub, miles from any workshop or don't have phone reception?

Well, if you have your own computer scanner, you fix it yourself of course! I bought one of these portable scanners and and have it plugged in continuously as it gives you all sorts of information while you’re driving as well as it being a diagnostic scanner. I paid $75.00 plus postage several months ago but I notice it’s gone up to $99.00 now, but it’s still great insurance when your car goes into limp mode … and you can override it to get home! But please use common sense, obviously if you have a serious problem like no oil or coolant you may not want to continue driving.

There are a few of these on the market but I bought mine from www.enginedatascan.com . I have no affiliation with this company, I just think it's a great product.
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Hey nice Avatar Dave just noticed the change.
ttrash the car is a 2006 Ford Territory Ghia Awd.
Apparently if a coilpack/sparkplug set doesn't fire it disables the Can-bus network so the speed info from the Abs is not sent to the power control module so the gearbox doesn't know what its doing,something like that.Unfortunately no fault codes came up in this instance to indicate what was wrong.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 pm

It must be a Nissan V03 V04
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 968
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:41 am

A similar thing happened to my motorcycle twice, on different trips to Tassie ; started the engine, rode off with neither of the two speedos working (digital and analogue), no ABS or traction control, and when I stopped I couldn't turn the engine off Shocked . The "brain" thought the bike was stationary, so the speedos, ABS and traction hadn't been triggered, but it also thought it was moving, so therefore I couldn't turn the engine off.

Good things, old vehicles. I'd like a 308 HG Prem wagon !  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  thegoldman24 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 pm

FORD found on rubbish dumps and fix or repair daily.

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Had a Ford XY and then a XD for 10 or more years each. Never touched the engine or transmission on both . Rust got the XY and her in doors ,at the time, told me to up date from the XD.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Minermike wrote:Had a Ford XY and then a  XD  for 10 or more years each.   Never touched   the engine  or transmission  on both .    Rust got the XY   and her in doors ,at the time, told me to up date from  the XD.  
Yes I also had an XD auto (Two tone) best car ever it was bulletproof.Also had an 3 other falcons and an Au fairmont all pretty good.I had no reason not to buy another.Spare parts are easy to get and well priced.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Seems to me that the computer control system on modern cars has not been thought out very well or possibly thought out by morons.

In the RAAF our modern fighters and bombers all have fault diagnostic  systems that generate fault codes for a diagnostic computer to analyse.
When a fault occurs in one of these Aircraft the entire AC does not go into a Shite hit the fan mode and shut the bloody thing down and modern Passenger Aircraft  have computer controlled everything and can take off and land without pilot assistance .

So if these giant AC and their associated flight control systems and thousands of Ks of wiring can be designed so that the AC will not fall out of the sky when a minor fault occurs in a major flight component then surely a bloody piddling car with with very minor electronic fuel and brake and speed control systems can be designed to function almost normally when something as simple as a bloody spark plug fouls up and misfires.Rolling Eyes

Just how good are vehicle fuel control systems these days anyway??
My ZA Fairlane(1967) with a 302 (5ltr) Auto with almost zero polution control could get 24 MPG/US on an open highway run.
I think that is approx 9.8 ltr per 100k ??

How does that compare to a 5 ltr computer controlled modern day Lux car??
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  tuner on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm

google is your friend in these situations a have saved thousand i mine and wife's cars
tuner
tuner
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Funny thing, twice passing through Charleville , different years , I lost the windscreen on the XY . I also lost the windscreen on the XD near Winton. All were on the bitumen .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

The joys of modern cars Empty Re: Joys of modern cars.

Post  sandy2010 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Minermike wrote:Funny thing, twice  passing through Charleville , different years , I lost the windscreen  on the XY .  I also lost the windscreen on the  XD   near Winton.   All  were on the bitumen .

Mike,
That would have been a "Min Min Light".....................................

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Yes, there is something in that area ..... Spooky ...

I had a loan of my opal mining mate's Valiant V 8 , in the 1970's at the Andamooka Opal Fields . I drove it to Sydney and back. I lost the windscreen at Hay. His insurance did not cover it as it was registered in the bush ....
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum