Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Hogs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gold Hogs - Page 2 Empty hogs

Post  goldn-god on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Contents of this post has been removed because of illegal content.

Regards
Peter

Last edited by Nightjar on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Illegal content.)

goldn-god
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Back to top Go down

Gold Hogs - Page 2 Empty Re: Gold Hogs

Post  MS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:56 pm

Very Dumb making comments like threats with firearms.
Even Making a verbal threat like that can get you in hot water , put it in writing and you don't have a leg to stand on
Wonder how tough you will be in the big house.
Think you need to grow up and en gauge the brain before you make any more comments.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  MS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Admin - I think it's time for Goldn-god to be evicted from this Forum it's clear he has nothing of interest to contribute.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Goldn-god has been warned.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2586
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 pm

G,day Stayer,
Yeah, its a shame mateship seems to dissapear when gold is involved.
I had a Newbie under my wing for a while, seemed OK to me.
He had a great job, earning in excess of 129k a year, twice as much as I was earning, bloody good money.
But for the love of me, he couldn't fathom the way gold acted in a water course, He got the right sh@ts one day, so I said "here have mine", just a couple of grams. Not even a thank you mate, blabbed to his other mates that he found it, so on and so on.
I could understand why get the shi*s if you don't find any, i'm there for the great outdoors and few good laughs around the camp fire, "THE GOLD IS A BONUS" in my books. Gold Hogs - Page 2 Fresse
It's a shame others don't think so, I gotta tell ya lads, there is plenty out there for every one.
So in some previous posts I read from a certain Gold god, mate ya gotta get of ya pedistal as you ain't gonna make any friends at all, it's a big lonely world out there,especially when you come into town threatening people etc.
Help people out, My old man would flog me if I was so rude to others. I grew up in the scrub and have been chasing gold for 32yrs and never have come across such rudiness and ignorance as I have seen on this forum as I have in the last coupla weeks.
As far as I know or informed, this Forum is for everyone to enjoy, make a few new mates, share some good yarns around the camp fire and most of all, help one another get a bit of yella stuff.
Pheww, Thats my $2 worth.
Cheers and HH
Brad Gold Hogs - Page 2 Icon_rr

Last edited by aushunter on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
aushunter
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 pm

all the people i have chatted to on this site are awesome, this sit has help me so much from people sayin try this and that it's great. i took my mate out where i found a coin and a good bit off gold, he ended up finding another 3 bits. the thing is he showed me a few things about detecting it was great. now he wonts to go out detecting more with me but now and then i like to be out by my self detecting..does that sound wrong to anyone? i don't wont to turn out like a gold hog that's all

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 pm

G'day Stoppsy,
That Ok mate, gotta get out and do your own thing now and again.
I'm the same,just something about it, by the same token it's also good to have a few mates around that are down to earth and willing to share the tricks of the trade.
I once had a real good prospecting, MARTY, but unfortunatly he is not with us anymore.
We used to play jokes on on another, plant a bit of gold colored lead in the sluice, just silly things like, but at times we used to go down seperatly but still "show and tell" each others tally.
I was walking up an old gully once and noticed an old drive going into the bank. Had a bit of check, noticed a quartz vein showing, time was not on my side, as work the next day was calling.
Told Marty about the vein as he was heading down that following weekend. Bingo 2.5oz of
gorgeuos reef gold. Good for him, I say. God bless ya Marty.
Stoppsy, head for by yerself once in a while, no worries mate, just watch the crazies.
Cheers and HH
Brad Gold Hogs - Page 2 Icon_rr
aushunter
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 am

Gday

Goldn god has now been banned.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:37 am

Gday Brad & Stoppsy

Although I have had plenty of these types of things happen to me over the years I have not given up on people and still help out others where I can, but nowadays I am a lot quicker at recognising who I should and who I shouldnt associate with.

Its great to have company when you are in the bush, someone to talk to and sit around the fire having a drink with, but also there are times when its good to be on your own and it does you good to have nothing to think about but yourself, I will often go away for two or three weeks on my own and I find it helps me to centre myself and it gives me time to sort out any of my own issues.

Some people are not comfortable being on their own in the bush, but if you are ok with it its a great way of getting to know yourself all over again, unfortunately our way of life these days seems to get you caught up in the flow and you just get dragged along with it, sometimes you tend to lose yourself in the process and are so busy doing it for everyone around you that you forget to look after yourself so the experience of being on your own for awhile can be very rewarding.

Like I said before the gold is the icing on the cake but its not the whole cake, there are many other simple pleasures to be had but you have to be receptive to them as well, lighten up and just go with the flow I guess, dont get all bent up and twisted like some folk do.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 am

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, gold is a strange thing especially what it does to people. The reason for this is complex but probably the main issue is ownership. No one actually owns it till it is dug out of the ground, and because someone has to "find it" seems to always be the justification for why people do the wrong thing.

An example, I meet some people who are struggling, they have no confidence in their detectors so I show them how to set them up, then they are in the dark on where to go look for some gold so I show them a place or two where they might have a chance, next thing I know they are going around town telling everyone about the gold I missed!! Of course I missed it, have you ever tried to vacuum clean a cricket oval? Perfectly? Without missing a scrap of dirt? Why the dickens would I send them somewhere where there isn't any gold, what would the purpose of that be?

The biggest hurdle for me is the money issue, the large majority of my income comes from gold so I am often branded with being gold hungry, not true just that my car payments and food for my kids is directly tied to the gold I find, so where most people are counting how many nuggets they find off a patch I'm counting the weights. The other issue of course is being well known, so just about all my associations in this industry are geared by people who have a thirst for knowledge, which I am happy to provide because I get a kick out of seeing people learn, but there comes a time when you need to cut the apron strings and try to do it in such a way that there is no offense taken when the info slows down. Sometimes this doesn't work out, because gold is a strange thing, because no one owns it till it is dug out of the ground, and because the thought of what "might" be in the ground is a strong motivator, enough of a motivator that friendships will take a back seat sometimes.

I love detecting and finding nuggets, I have been with friends and happily dug huge holes for them just for the thrill of being part of the birthing process, but at the end of the day you have to keep a certain amount of information to yourself, information that you have traded hours and hours of your life for, information that will not be treated with the respect it deserves because others did not put in the hard yards to find it out. In life I have found you can count the true friends you have on one hand, when it comes to gold that number can be safely halved. If you are aware of the pitfalls and go into relationships with your eyes wide open you can have a wonderful time making acquaintances throughout our wonderful country, finding a colour or two on the way. To me the glass is always half full, and I have faith in mankind to end up doing the right thing, so long as I stick to the simple formula of keeping some of my own council to myself.

JP

Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

Gday JP

I agree with all that you have said and have also experienced the flack from people that I have helped in the past, but I wont allow that to stop me helping others, I guess that you take everybody on their merit and by their word until they prove otherwise.

When you are relying on the gold for your sole income then you have to treat it like any other business and you have to approach it as a job and not as a recreational experience as a lot of us do, the fact is that its not an easy game and for the most part can be tedious and demanding in a physical sense, and the reality is that if someone offered you a job and wanted you to walk about all day in the heat or cold and dig holes all over the place in hard ground, and told you that they would give you say a gram of gold for the day you would just laugh at them wouldnt you, but of course we all know that you could also walk on to a 25 ouncer too so that is the motivation.

Your right also about peoples perceptions of what may be in the ground, and I am a firm believer in the saying that gold has your name on it, sometimes it will defy logic that you can miss something even after you have worked over a spot to death, but as you say the simple truth is that you simply cant get it all can you, but I would be the first to admit that its easy to get a twinge of resentment towards the lazy detectorist that walks through a patch that you have found through hard work and determination, and scores the biggest piece, and then has the gall to suggest that they are better at it than you are, that part may be true but you still dont like to hear it said, and does not even have the decency to offer you a share, or even a simple thankyou.

Its still a great experience overall and I always feel that we are privilaged to be able to go out and do what we do, there are so many places in the world that you would be literally taking your life in your hands, for instance I would love to detect in the Sudan or somewhere that is like what our goldfields were 20 years ago, but I seriously doubt that you would get out of the place with the gold you found, you would more likely end up just another missing tourist I think.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 am

A Vic mines dept inspector told me many years ago that gold brings out the rogue in some people, I've noticed over the years how right he was.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 am

i wish i could detect 10 hrs a day and 7 days aweek, but i have the 2 young boyz to look after....i was made redundent from my job and my wife went to a manigers job just befor i lost my job, so i'm the stay at home dad now wich i love doing. we live off my wifes wage and that's it, this is the reason i started detecting hoping that i can find some off the yellow stuff just to help with the money side off things. i took my oldes boy out with me one day 10 mins into he turns around and said i wont to go home to mum lol...evey bit of junk we found he kept it was his treasure., my wife has got into now wich a bonus....as i have said this site is awesome coz all use love to help people that need it, i'm glad to be a part off it, just hope some day down the track i can turn around and start helping people like use have done for me. THANK YOU..

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

Hey Stoppsy,
A couple of years down the track you will probably remember this Gold Hogs thread and bring it back up and have a laugh, because by then, YES, you will be passing on your knowledge to newbies.
Good luck and may you walk onto a slug or two in the near future.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2586
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:13 am

Oh yes "the Green Eyed Monster" is alive and well !!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 am

Gday Stoppsy

No matter how many years you are into this hobby you will find that it is constantly changing and there is always something new to learn, changes in detectors alone will keep you busy as the 4500 was a huge leap and gave us all something to speculate about and then to learn how to operate.

If your family are also approving of you detecting and are interested as well then you are in a good position as it can be very difficult to continue with it when the minister for finance is not so keen, gearing up can be expensive and there are many pitfalls, sometimes its hard to justify the cost of purchasing some things, say like a coil for $400 but in reality you only have to get 10 grams of gold with it and its paid for itself.

It is important that you treat it like a hobby and dont go at it hard thinking that you are going to make your fortune in the first week, if you think that way you are going to be dissapointed, its a slow learning process and like anything worthwhile it takes time and effort to learn, like any trade or occupation your experience will be built through time on the ground, research and listening to the advice of others that have been there before you, sometimes you have to sort the facts from the fiction but thats the way it is.

Anyway its good to see that you are getting something out of what other forum members are posting, but I for one would like to see all members making a bit more of an effort to contribute something to it as well, as you might have noticed there is a very low tolerance to trouble makers, and I think I can speak for the majority of members on this, we simply dont want to read some of the rubbish that a few people have posted, and want all members to be comfortable enough to be able to post any question or queery that they might have without fear of being ridiculed.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Everyone

I suppose there are those types of people everywhere, not just in the gold fields. If you think of prospecting as a job then these people would be classified as a bully in the work place. We all no that there are bullys in the workplace but you can only do so much to stop them. Just like prospecting, its a bit hard to get rid of someone if there 6'4 and built like a brick shithouse and your only 5'4. You can give all the info to the mines department and let them no aswell as the lease holder about what they are doing. But at the end of the day i guess it really comes down to your word against theirs. Since i have started on this forum i have never met more helpful people that jump at the chance to help you. From just answering you questions, posting alot of information that alot of people new to prospecting wouldn't know and even offering to go out and show you the ropes!

Well thanks for the forum guys cos id be lost in the hobby without it!!! keep up the good work. And to all those gold hogs out there. karma comes around

regards
Ryan

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum