Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To buy or not to Buy

4 posters

Go down

To buy or not to Buy Empty To buy or not to Buy

Post  Rocknut66 Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi all,
I haven't got much detecting experience , but do find sub grammers with my 4500, so I am told I got the hang of it. But in WA I walked away because the ground was screaming at me. Having time on my site now and hoping to travel and detect/fossick in every state in coming years is it silly of thinking to invest in a 7000 machine? Found a total of 8 grams so far in a few trip as to VIC & NSW. Don't laugh please
cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2015-02-14

Back to top Go down

To buy or not to Buy Empty Re: To buy or not to Buy

Post  deutran Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Rocknutt66
If you plan on spending time detecting then it would be an excellent investment.I've never regretted buying any new Minelab product,in fact I usually regretted not getting them sooner.
By the sound of it you already have the gold bug anyway.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Rocknut66 wrote:Hi all,
I haven't got much detecting experience , but do find sub grammers with my 4500, so I am told I got the hang of it. But in WA I walked away because the ground was screaming at me. Having time on my site now and hoping to travel and detect/fossick in every state in coming years is it silly of thinking to invest in a 7000 machine? Found  a total of 8 grams so far in a few trip as to VIC & NSW. Don't laugh please
cheers

G'day Rocknut66,

Welcome to the forum and good to see that you have found some gold with your 4500. May I ask how long have you been detecting??  As I know of some people that have yet to find any gold and they have been trying for a while now.  As deutran has said if you are planning to do more than a few weekends, then you should at least have the best there is to give you a better chance, but then it really is up to you whether you can afford to upgrade or not as the 4500 is a very capable machine still and will still keep finding gold for you.   IMHO.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocknut66 Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Mike,
I bought the 4500 six years ago, done a two day detecting course near Bendigo where II learned bugger all. Poked around for a few days in the golden triangle where I found my first few specks [I don't call them nuggets unless they are big] I went back there three/four times maybe for a week at a time and had a group trip to Tibooburra where I found most my specks. Had no luck in WA though. Didn't had the time during the past few years to detect at Tassie's West Coast. More time now ,as being a pensioner.
Cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocknut66 Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:02 pm

deutran wrote:Rocknutt66
If you plan on spending time detecting then it would be an excellent investment.I've never regretted buying any new Minelab product,in fact I usually regretted not getting them sooner.
By the sound of it you already have the gold bug anyway.
Steve

Hi Deutran,
I don't think I got the gold buck. Just like to go and poke around in the bush and having some fun. Also on the look out for mineral specimen, gems and nice timbers. like to have good gear though as this gives one a better chance to succeed.
Cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 pm

I haven't got much detecting experience , but do find sub grammers with my 4500, so I am told I got the hang of it. But in WA I walked away because the ground was screaming at me. Having time on my site now and hoping to travel and detect/fossick 

Found  a total of 8 grams so far in a few trip as to VIC & NSW. Don't laugh please
cheers
G'day Rocknut66

When you say your 4500 was screaming in W.A. ground, did you try the enhance timing, or if the ground is salty an anti interference coil is the go.

Cheers Mick
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi Rocknut66

It's hard to tell you wether to update to the new machine or not, as no one really has them yet, only a few 
Testers, that haven't said much..

I have the 4500 great machine..
With all detectors, doesn't matter which one you own, it's the time spent on the ground that reaps the rewards..
If you find a bucket full of lead.. Your bound to find a few bits of gold.

So if your just in it for the shear enjoyment and not to get rich.. 
Just do as I do.. Potter around.. And enjoy the scenery, if you walk over the gold
You will ping a bit..
If you want some settings for the 4500 I am sure there are some good members on here more than willing to pass Them along..
Just ask your away Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocknut66 Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:26 am

Aurumick wrote:
I haven't got much detecting experience , but do find sub grammers with my 4500, so I am told I got the hang of it. But in WA I walked away because the ground was screaming at me. Having time on my site now and hoping to travel and detect/fossick 

Found  a total of 8 grams so far in a few trip as to VIC & NSW. Don't laugh please
cheers
G'day Rocknut66

When you say your 4500 was screaming in W.A. ground, did you try the enhance timing, or if the ground is salty an anti interference coil is the go.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick,
I can't remember what knobs I turned in frustration. Sometimes it made a difference and quietend down , but after shifting a few metres it was just as loud again. So I packed up and tried my luck some where else.
Cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocknut66 Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:30 am

Jen58 wrote:Hi Rocknut66

It's hard to tell you wether to update to the new machine or not, as no one really has them yet, only a few 
Testers, that haven't said much..

I have the 4500 great machine..
With all detectors, doesn't matter which one you own, it's the time spent on the ground that reaps the rewards..
If you find a bucket full of lead.. Your bound to find a few bits of gold.

So if your just in it for the shear enjoyment and not to get rich.. 
Just do as I do.. Potter around.. And enjoy the scenery, if you walk over the gold
You will ping a bit..
If you want some settings for the 4500 I am sure there are some good members on here more than willing to pass Them along..
Just ask your away Laughing

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your comments. The late Jim Stewart from Laanecoorie wrote me the settings down he used, worked well for me in Vic but not so good in WA. I slept on it and be inclined to get a 7000 machine.

Cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

To buy or not to Buy Empty Put the money where the mouth is

Post  Rocknut66 Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks for your comments on wether or not to buy. Well, I got myself one yesterday, but have to wait four weeks till I get on the boat to get into the Golden Triangle. Looking at reports members start finding the yellow with the 7000. I got my hopes up.
Cheers

Rocknut66
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 am

Welcome to the forum, congrats for your purchase, you will not regret it, Minelab has never disappointed me in the past, I don't think they will start now.
Cheers
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum