Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoddles Creek

2 posters

Go down

Hoddles Creek Empty Hoddles Creek

Post  longbob Tue May 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I recently had a look at Hoddles creek in the Yarra Valley with a view to trying some panning. I was approached and warned off by 3 'locals' who said I could not pan there and not to come back. They even noted my car number plate. Needless to say I felt unwanted.
Is this area restricted? I can find no information about it. I am getting rather dejected trying to find somewhere out the Yarra Valley way where I can do a bit of panning without feeling like a criminal Sad 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Hoddles Creek Empty Re: Hoddles Creek

Post  Auger Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi LongBob
You need to check the "list of exempted rivers ... " in the Miners Right FAQ here :
http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking/frequently-asked-questions-about-miners-rights
I had a quick look and did not see a reference to Hoddles creek, but the best way would be to check with the local DEPI/Parks office (you will have to find out who has juristiction etc). If it is OK to pan there you can quietly explain to the "locals" that it is OK. If they keep on your case, then invite them to call the "ranger" ?
Cheers
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down