Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

faint signals

4 posters

Go down

faint signals Empty faint signals

Post  piesy Sun May 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Have got small nuggets 1 gram + at about 3 inches.Could only just hear them.Have tried lots of settings to get stronger signals.should there be stronger signal at that depth no matter what setting i use.I use 14 inch eliptical nugget finder.Got jps dvd.The mrs reckons it should be louder so i iam seeing what the experienced people think.

piesy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Back to top Go down

faint signals Empty Re: faint signals

Post  goldenbrown Sun May 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi piesy,
This could be a number of things. First, what type of detector do you have. They're all set up a little different.
Starting from your coil which is a great coil by the way. If you touch it with your hand and it reacts then you have a faulty coil, but it sound like your settings might be off. It's hard to say until we know what detector your using. If your threshold"s to high it will mask signals to a big extent, or if it's too low, you'll miss targets. If you have a target volume control, check to see if it's actually working.
Like I said it could be a number of things or ajustments...
cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Piesy, You are using a mono coil and yes you should be getting a strong signal. Small nuggets can be quite subtle in their signal however at 3 inches the signal should be crisp and solid and loud if you want it to be.

Do bullets or pieces of rubbish iron sound loud?. If not it is your volume i reckon. (assuming you have looked at the manual and have all your settings within reasonable ranges.)

Bottom line is you should be able to get the loudness on signals from a golf ball sized piece of iron to be almost unbearably loud with the volume/signal peak settings up.

The ML 2200 is very quite and an amplifier is a must to use one (and a regulated boosted voltage battery system is almost a must on them as well). 2200's with no amp can be very quite on all but big targets. Other Minelabs should have an amplifier used with them to get the best out of them but this does not explain why you signal volume is very quite (i am assuming it is difficult to hear the signal based on the way you explained it)

Also If you are using a speaker try your headphones and see if the signal is louder. Could be the speaker is faulty or not wired correctly to trigger the internal amp if using a 4500.

Could be the machine has a problem, but i have not had any friends who have had a volume issue with their minelab unit faults (and we have encounted many over the years)

Possibly not the answers to your issue but i have thrown them in anyway.

Tributer

Last edited by Tributer on Sun May 02, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

faint signals Empty faint signals

Post  piesy Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Have 4500 . Have tried factory presets and other settings off the web.Picks up lots of rubbish but faint on gold.Lot of iron filings on the pick magnet.

piesy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm

piesy wrote:Have 4500

Make sure you are NOT in 'cancel' !!!

Will send you a PM
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Ok Piesy. boost your target volume and try your headphones. That should work fine. If this does not work you may have machine issues. If it does work with headphones you can then work on your speaker(s)

I am assuming you know and have checked your settings and are not in cancel.

Because you live in a hot hell hole you will need to use a speaker (or dual speakers) with the stereo plug wired in a specific way to trigger the amp in the ML battery into action. (see JP video) and threads from a year ago on this forum somewhere.

Better still invest in an amplifier. Detacc etc etc.

If all else fails go find a 4500 owner and see how their machine works using your coil and battery pack compared to theirs.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down