New Members from Colorado

Go down

New Members from Colorado Empty New Members from Colorado

Post  JCLR on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am

Hello,
This account I made for my boyfriend and myself, we recently were at his grandparents ranch and wen't exploring up in some old washes on a "mountain" behind their house.

My boyfriend has a background in mining aggregates, and myself my father and grandfather have prospected areas of rivers from Brekenridge, CO and all over. As i'm sure most don't want to hear, we both have been avid watchers of Gold Rush, and we do understand the gold those men find is no where near what we would find in Colorado.

We are just needing some tips and pointers, and see if what we have found in these old river beds is actually something and not pyrite or micah. Any assistance would be great!

The picture attached is what we have picked out from just a small sample of concentrate. We found this at the bottom of this old wash were you can see it used to be a pond that was damned up, now its a sandbed completely dried up, also in the sample sample is collected right about a small waterfall right before the water would have flowed over into the pool.

We don't have any high tech (sluce, mercury, ect) supplies to figure out if this is gold or not, any assistance would be great.New Members from Colorado Img_2710

Thanks!
-Lauren

JCLR

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-08

Back to top Go down

New Members from Colorado Empty Re: New Members from Colorado

Post  Wombat on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

G'day JCLR and welcome to the site. I have news of bad tiding's.Crying or Very sad The gold you have there is not gold but Pyrite or in other words Micah. Sad A good way to test it is, when you shake the bottle do they float around, like one of those snow scences you get in those round bottles, New Members from Colorado Weihnachten11 if so it is Micah.?? But keep trying, as where there is micah there is a good chance of gold, and you are saying you live in a known gold area. You will know gold when you see it. It is heavier, a lot more yellower and will not float. I hope this helps, and welcome again to the site.

Wombat Wink

Management

Number of posts : 4662
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 am

I agree with you Wombat, but maybe it's a photo from above and the specks are actually sitting on the bottom of the jar, but from the angle of the photo they appear to be floating.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am

G'day JCLR and welcome to the forum. Q31 I had a very close look at your pic and some of those flakes look to be the right color. Another test is to try and crush the flakes and if they crumble into a powder then they are mica. If they flatten and not crumble they are gold. Very Happy hope they flatten for you and again Q31 to the forum.

Cheers.

Mike. Q39

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum