Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Go down

New member Empty New member

Post  Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi,

I've been checking the forum out for a few months now and thought I'd join.

I've been detecting sporadically for a few years, but really only started going out regularly late last year.

Haven't found much - all up, only about 2 grams (5 or 6 nuggets)... hoping that will change.

I have a 4500, and I can't help but wonder if part of the reason I haven't found very much is because I have a habit of chopping and changing settings a lot (too much curiosity? What a Face )

I try to get out most weekends, usually in the GT. Would be great to meet up and detect with some forum members in time!

Lenoil

Back to top Go down

New member Empty New member

Post  sandy2010 Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi'ya Lenoil,
Welcome to the "inner sanctum".........

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

New member Empty Re: New member

Post  NoSetDestination (Greg) Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Welcome Lenoil, if you want to learn about your detector there are plenty in here that will give you great advice. Just post in the general forum and tell people what you have and are doing and ask for advice and you will have more than you need..
good luck out there,
Greg.
NoSetDestination (Greg)
NoSetDestination (Greg)
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2013-02-27

https://www.facebook.com/no.s.destination?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm

G'day Lenoil,welcome to the forum..lots of 4500 owners on here with great experience and advice Very Happy

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Lenoil,
Welcome to the forum.
If you finding a nuggets you are doing ok.Gold is not that easy to find.
Its good to play with settings.The one of important things is to learn how your detector works and what setting are best for certain goldfields.
Joining a local gold club is good start.Chance to meet and learn from other more experienced people.They also have a monthly trips so you get to know others and find a prospecting buddies.
There are many posts here about 4500 so read and ask the questions.
Enjoy the forum and good luck gold hunting.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  NoSetDestination (Greg) Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Here is the link to the search for posts relating to the 4500 Lenoil. Thisshould keep ypu occupied for a while. Smile
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/search?search_keywords=4500
NoSetDestination (Greg)
NoSetDestination (Greg)
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2013-02-27

https://www.facebook.com/no.s.destination?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for the welcoming words!

Yeah, I've certainly noticed that gold is hard to find...

I do think by tinkering with the settings, I've come to better understand the way the detector works.

I've picked up so many tiny bits of steel/iron/lead - I figure if there's gold there, I should hopefully pick that up, too... The last nugget I found was 0.1g (found a few of those) at an inch and a bit (I'm guessing) and there was no mistaking it.

Actually it's funny - I've pulled out hundreds (maybe thousands) of bits of iron junk and shotgun pellets and bullets. Quite a few times I've hoped that it was gold I'd found, but somehow knew somehow that it wasn't... Whereas each time I've found gold, I somehow "knew" (a sort of gut feeling) that it was gold and not junk - there was no doubt. Are most people like this with the small stuff?

Yes - I contacted a club earlier on and I've been out with them couple of times - hopefully I'll have the chance to be able to again.

Thanks for the link, Greg.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Lenoil,
Never was 100% certain some signals were gold.Until it is in my hand as they say seeing is believing.
Dug some targets was sure were rubbish but then they turn to be a little nuggets. cheers
Certainly when you pass few inches and that sweet signal is getting stronger you start getting excited.
When you pass 10 inches of hard gravel you get excited but believe me pulled lot of bullets there as well.

Make sure you dig every target.

Good Luck.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 pm

golden wrote:Hi Lenoil,
Never was 100% certain some signals were gold.Until it is in my hand as they say seeing is believing.
Dug some targets was sure were rubbish but then they turn to be a little nuggets. cheers
Certainly when you pass few inches and that sweet signal is getting stronger you start getting excited.
When you pass 10 inches of hard gravel you get excited but believe me pulled lot of bullets there as well.

Make sure you dig every target.

Good Luck.
GoldEN

Yes, I've had a few signals in nice-looking wash and logic told me that it could likely be gold... but again, I didn't "feel" it.

Also had one last week at Maryborough - a nice mellow (to start with) signal in some vertical shale (not sure if that's what it's actually called Question ). It had obviously never been dug before, as the shale was still intact, so logic told me that it could very well be gold... turned out to be a .22 bullet that had just happened to hit the ground right there and had managed to lodge itself 5 or so inches down in a gap in the shale tongue

I try to dig all targets, but tend to slacken off as the day goes on...trying to change that!

Back to top Go down