Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY

Go down

Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY Empty Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY

Post  CostasDee on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 am

After my last topic two weeks ago, "5 month dry spell finally breaks - YAY", I managed to get out again with the boys, Manny, Glen, Johnny, Mike, Ren, Mike (& Jen), Peter (& family). It's always a great time to be had and many a laughs to be enjoyed when all the guys get together and as Johnny mentioned in his topic, it was hot, damn HOT, and I for one, don't function well in the heat.

I was vastly outnumbered by the GPXs that were doing extremely well, pinging nuggets in all different spots. No matter where I went or what I did, I couldn't seem to find one and with the extreme heat belting down, I just about gave up hope of "getting lucky" and even started talking to the guys about maybe trading in the old SD for a 45. Let's face reality, the SD running a DD just isn't as sensitive as the GPXs on those small nuggets.

Then a slight miracle happened. The clouds rolled in, not enough to give any rain but enough to take the edge off the heat and we went out for another swing. Well I recon the old SD heard me talking about trading it in and from what must've been fear, it quitened the chatter of the threshold to a nice tolerable hum. After walking for a bit on the side of this gentle slope just above a gully, I nudged a decaying branch and out of nowhere, I heard a sound, a target sound, a sound that needed investigating.

Well to cut a long story short, I got one for the weekend, and I combed that area up and down and left and right but alas, no other family members could be found, but I didn't go home without a rattle, so that's 2 nuggets out of 2 outings now. Maybe, just maybe, although it's not a flood, maybe that terrible drought has broken, and maybe I'll put those thoughts of trading in the old SD on a 45 on temporary hold, just for the moment anyway...

Once again guys, like always, thanks for such a great and memorable time.

Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY 3_890g10

CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY Empty Re: Another rattle in the jar, 2x YAY

Post  deutran on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

You Beauty,nice chunk there mate.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:40 am

That was fantastic Con I felt I was right there with you. Q15 . They can only get better from here on I like your enthusiasm congrats on your very nice nugget. Q13 . Hope to catch up again soon.

Cheers.

Mike. Q11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 am

Q15 great nugget, and I got to hold it in my hand Q13 Very Happy
I think you are right about the sd hearing you about trading up, i
don't think it's ready to be parted from you just yet.
Great video and picture. I saw the March flies on the coil..
What sort of camera did you use to take the pic??

Cheers
Jen

Back to top Go down

Post  relichunter2 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 am

Great story..I think we can all relate to a dry spell..goes to show us all..those nuggets are there. Congrats on the find.

relichunter2
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2013-03-03

http://www.goldrushtradingpost.net

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 am

Thanks for the congrats guys. Yes I did get a little emotional when I dug it up, I didn't realise myself until I watched the vid. I'll have to practice my "poker voice" before I shoot the next one. Jen I just used the iphone camera, close up on my desk, with the desk light up the top left of it. The vid was shot with a Kodak Playsport that's mounted on the stork of the detector.

March flies....I never remember them being as bad as they are this year. April can't come round soon enough, both for the flies and for the heat.

Mike, great catching up to you too. I'll let you know when I'm up again although I think it'll be longer rather than sooner until my next trip.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 am

Thanks for that costasdee. Yes you were very excited, but that's a good thing.
Thought it might have been with your iPhone..
I will have to practice taking pics with my iPhone.

Cheers
Jen

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 am

Well done Costas. Can't wait for a change in weather to hit them there hills again. cheers What a Face

Cheers Kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 am

Well done Con. I've seen the way handle the heat before so it makes it a very good reward for effort. Q01 Q20 Q21 Q05 Q05 Q05 A couple of days rehydrating may now be in order. Q11 Q11 Q11 Q11 Q11 Q12

G.B.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 am

terrific piece mate
good effort Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 am

well done Con, great find Very Happy . cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren's Patch on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am

Congrats to you CostasDee for a great looking piece mate Q15 I still reckon you should upgrade to get the small bits in-between your big bits Q13 Great hunting mate!

Regards Ren...
Ren's Patch
Ren's Patch
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

Nice gold Costas Cool
You will have to threaten the SD more often me thinks Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

Quote Costa, "Look at that, that's beautiful, ay?"
It sure bloody is! ConGrats!
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3679
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am

Well done Con! That one will clean up into quite a good looking piece too I think.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Cheers guys, you know, I consider myself very lucky to find this piece as there were a few large dig holes heading down the slope, so someone in the past had found a few nuggets there, but luckily for me, they totally missed this one. It was shallow and the signal was quite obvious so even a Dick Smith special would've found this, I think. Maybe the branch that was originally over it blocked the path of past detectors and because of it's decayed state now, it got easily knocked away for me, enough to pick up the signal. Sometimes you just have to be lucky and wave your wand over that cm x cm that no one else has ever waved their wand before.

You are right Ren, upgrading will most definely enable me to collect the smaller ones that the SD just doesn't pickup, but the 2200 has asked for a temparary stay of execution so I'll see how it performs on it's next outing before making any decisions.

Dan, it's in the acid bath as we speak, should be quite nice when it's all clean. It's even got a tiny hole in it ready for a link on a chain, but the missus would have to give me a whole lot of leave passes to use at my will, in order for me to go down that path, and I somehow don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Once again, thanks guys.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  rowdy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Great nugget there, I'd be reminding my SD every time I go detecting that if you don't perform today your gone.
Rowdy
rowdy
rowdy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Very nice piece Costas,will look superb after its bath..I have a mate who swears by his SD,he regularly pulls out some decent nuggs from around the Kingower area.I've just got back from a coupla days in the GT and don't have a skerrick of gold to show for the sweat i've lost Shocked and i use a 5000 Sad

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Costas,

A sweet find... Great video dig toooo.. Q15

Cheers
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  flyspecks on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 pm

congrats costa, that sure is a nice nug Q15
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 987
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Great nugget Con cheers
Well deserved for battling the heat and the rest of creepy crawlers.

One nugget but Beautiful one.

Congratulation.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  gullyhunter on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Fantastic bit of rock there Con !!!
Loved the vid and you are spot on in saying " beautiful " Q33 Q15
Old faithful is starting to up the pace bro - dont think she is done just yet ... another great adventure it was .
Seeya on the next one pal .... Q18
gullyhunter
gullyhunter
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 am

Hi there CostasDee, Good on you. Well done. I must agree with your comments on the heat. I too dont function well in the heat. Prefering to go out late arvo early evening & going on into the dark.
I dont think you should put off up grading from the SD to a 4500. You will be missing gold if you dont. Gold that will go towards the cost of the upgrade & also the buzz of actually getting more gold more often. Good for the soul especially in the heat when you can get fraziled & frustrated pretty quickly. lol!

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1831
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 am

Well done Con, always great to hear the solid clunk in the spoon. Hopefully the brag jar will continue to fill with your next swing.

Good luck
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2501
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Once again, thanks guys.
It's strange, looking at the video you can hear the clunk of the nugget in the spoon, but during the dig, I just didn't notice it. Nightjar, I will be using a variation of your tuning technique next time I get to go out, which hopefully will translate to a 3 out of 3 (YAY) topic being posted.
Kiwijw, I totally do agree with you about the upgrade and missing those smaller nuggets, and it is still on the cards, but the decision is on temporary hold at the moment, until the next outing, and then I'll re-access.
Glen, towards the end of the trip, she certainly settled down on the chatter and behaved outstandingly, much better than in any other outing in recent times. She heard the talk of trading her in on a 45 and totally settled down - became a pleasure to swing again rather than chatter that she's been doing of late. Bit of a loooooooong wait until the next one for me, but looking forward to it.
Sharkbait, I've had my droughts too, very long ones, that's probably why I got so excited when I dug this one up so soon, after my last one. It's a hard formula that needs to be conquered in order to have success. You have to swing your coil over that cm x cm square piece of land that no one has swung before, that cm x cm piece of land has to contain gold, you have to be concentrating on hearing a (faint) signal, thinking about what you're doing and not the footy, positive minded, etc etc etc. It's hard work and I've done many, many outings where I have come back with nothing. Important thing is to enjoy the time out there and keep praying that the drought will end soon and that maybe with your next swing you'll hear that sweet, sweet sound. Q10
Rowdy, my SD is leaning up against the wall behind me. I just turned around, looked at it square in the control box and told it in no uncertain terms what is expected from it next outing! Either it listens and behaves, or it's fleebay for it! I don't expect it to locate the gold for me, I expect it to behave and cut out the chatter that's been making the threshold unstable, and masking those smaller nuggets, and I'll do my job of the swinging. Hopefully, (and really praying for it), that might translate into another successful addition next outing. Q10
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 pm

very nice story and find CD. The old SD must be happy
to have another lease of life with you Smile. 3,83g that is the equivalent
of almost 20 average sized small ones that most find with the the lastest GPX's....
You're definitely doing well! Hope there's more coming your way.
cheers
bedrock
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  lockie86 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Well done mate, thats a nice nug Q40

lockie86
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm

CostasDee wrote:you have to be concentrating on hearing a (faint) signal, thinking about what you're doing and not the footy, positive minded, etc etc etc.

Your quote is probably one of the most important aspects of successful detecting.
No doubt we have all seen prospectors racing against time and trying to cover the maximum amount of ground in their given time. Coils swinging like they are brushing away flies.
Research your area, inspect it visibly on arrival and then concentrate, carefully griding your chosen area.
Detect no more than 2 hours then take a relaxing break for approx 15 minutes. During this time focus on anything other than your lust for gold giving your brain and reflexes time to relax.
Take at least half an hour for lunch and be sure to eat something nutritious.
Over a given time can almost guarantee that the relaxed/concentrating prospector will bring home more yellow than his mate who runs around like the proverbial chook with it's head removed.
Finally a tried and proven method that I have personally practiced for years is;
When I find my first nugget I use this as a grid point and then circle this point expanding out. If another nugget is found, mark the spot and note the line between first and second nugget.
Now step away approx 20 metres in a straight line 90° from your 2nd nugget.
Now grid in a straight line the 20 metres back to your second nugget and 20 metres past, repeat this grid working away from your 2nd nugget.
Using this method, have lost count of the times I have picked up a run of nuggets.
Wandering aimlessly you may be lucky and pick up an odd nugget and miss another only metres away.
If the ground is heavily wooded or undulating a chain can be more of a hindrance. If this is the case select a given tree or prominent rock out crop and detect to it, turn around for your return run, select another tree/rock 40 metres or so away.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2501
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum