Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)?

2 posters

Go down

What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)? Empty What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)?

Post  Shinegold Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)? Empty Re: What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)?

Post  kon61 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

Not much to say here Shinegold,but I'll give it a go.Firstly I'v never used nor seen a 25 inch DD coil in Nugget Finder,only a 24" DD in Coiltek. When your talking 24 inch DD and above your talking 1gm maybe even half gm gold close to the surface before you even get a signal coming through your headphones/speaker.The jump on a say 3oz slug of gold from an 18 inch DD to the same type coil in 24DD is very minimal,sometimes depending on the ground conditions,type of nugget and the angle the nugget is sitting on as compared to the coil field,you could even be worse off,not picking up a signal at all.The difference would have to be in the half kilo+ range,before you see any real significant jump in depth over the 18 DD. the 18 is capable of picking up nuggets within the say 15gm to 1oz nugget range at good depth as compared to the 24 dd which might walk right over them and not hear a sound at the same depth that the 18 could.Problem with coils above the 20 inch mark you'd have to have open clear flat ground to get the most of their potential.The larger the DD the quieter it is to both ground noise as well as EMI interference but far less sensitive to gold below the 10 gm mark as that of the same size mono.The opposite applies to the same size coil in mono configuration.Also one must consider the weight factor.Swinging 2kg+ of coil even for half a day,you'd better have knocked off your spinach. Laughing What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)? Empty Re: What can you tell me about a 24/25" Round DD (Coiltek or NF)?

Post  Shinegold Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks Con61,
Thanks, I found that interesting. Idea I have an 18 DD coiltek myself, it seems to be quiet, is very light, it has signalled on deep charcoal before. I find it interesting that the larger the DD the quieter, opposite to monos, it certainly seems that way.

The weight factor is not a problem, I have balanced out my setup. My 18" in it's own right is probably the lightest-to-size coil I have ever owned. The setup is so light, I have detected 4 hours without a bungy and only felt a little tired, very sweet!

The quietness of a 24" DD is intriguing, if it can ignore charcoal amongst other ground noise then that would be a plus, an option if you can use it in wide open spaces.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down