Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All that Glitters is not gold

5 posters

Go down

All that Glitters is not gold Empty All that Glitters is not gold

Post  golddiggerdave Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am

Hi All,

One of our staff from the Brisbane store had an interesting story about a find that I thought was worth sharing. Has anyone else found something similar to this?

Perfect weather, soft ground after the rain and a new Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector. What more could you ask for?

I began my 2nd outing with the Minelab GPX 5000 in an area that has been flogged like a dead horse for 20yrs or so. Coupled with an 8″ Minelab coil and Rooster Booster, I was amazed how smooth and quiet the machine was running. I picked up many minute fragments of old tin cans and bits of wire all of which had been left behind by other operators.

After a few hours of no luck I switched to a 14″ x 9″ Nugget Finder and went looking for some new ground. Again the machine performed wonderfully and the shotgun pellets were coming thick and fast, but alas the yellow still evaded me.

The day was getting on so my detecting partner and I decided to try one last spot on the way home. It was getting late and still no gold. We decided to call it quits and we were walking back to the car, me swinging casually, and I got a good drop tone signal.

I began to dig and dig and dig – the target now screaming I began to get excited. Still more digging and a white clay began to emerge, then the target was out. the light was now fading as I knelt down to isolate the target, my mate watching on eagerly. Then I saw it……

I picked it up – it was heavy, a good 6 grams. I wiped the dirt off – it was gold!!! We both began to laugh and enjoy the moment.

I then made the mistake of looking closer at the nugget. Something was odd about it, so I scratched it…….

Some dirty bugger had painted a nugget of lead with gold paint!

I have heard many prospectors joke about that, or even the ‘dick head’ tokens in Victoria, but I never thought I would be unlucky enough to find one of these detecting jokes!

All that Glitters is not gold Cory-fake-nugget

Good Luck and Happy Prospecting

Gold Digger Dave

golddiggerdave
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-02-02

http://www.bendigogold.com.au

Back to top Go down

All that Glitters is not gold Empty Re: All that Glitters is not gold

Post  lbg dreamer Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 am

Please congratulate your customer
On there find
I for one am always searching for an elusive
Dh sign
Razz
Lucky they scratched it
And seen its true
Colour before selling it on eBay lol!
Maybe it was an area salted with fake nuggets
Or one of the early Chinese
Fake ones
Who knows
But it looks pretty real
From here
Except the scratch
jocolor
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Its a cool little nugget (even fake one).
Its nice find.

I have not come across one yet and still looking for a little metal plate with DH on it.
The creator must be one of the biggest brains ever born in GT.
Who would have thought that would be a collectors item?I think he would be really fuming as his original idea backfired. cheers

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

Hang on a minute here!!!!.....Gold colored lead at the end of the day still counts in my books. Id av toasted the find and danced a jig even if it was gold foil from a cigi packet at days end. cheers

Best be looking through my finds of late for any stowaways or misrepresent-ees. scratch

Had a mate carry with him, in his mouth, a small bit of lead that was misrepresented to his eyes due to sweat...the right color....only for me to break his heart when i scratched it. Laughing ..... Ya had to be there. lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 pm

G'day golddiggerdave great story and pics . Very Happy . Was a pity it didn't turn out to be real gold, but it sounded like an exciting dig. Thanks for sharing..

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

All that Glitters is not gold Empty all that glitters is not gold.

Post  Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm

golddiggerdave,all i can say is BUGGER!mate i would of went and brought a lotto ticket Smile you would have more chance of finding a true nugget than a doggey one!that said glad it wasn,t me. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Narrawa wrote:Hang on a minute here!!!!.....Gold colored lead at the end of the day still counts in my books. Id av toasted the find and danced a jig even if it was gold foil from a cigi packet at days end. cheers

Best be looking through my finds of late for any stowaways or misrepresent-ees. scratch

Had a mate carry with him, in his mouth, a small bit of lead that was misrepresented to his eyes due to sweat...the right color....only for me to break his heart when i scratched it. Laughing ..... Ya had to be there. lol!

Pot calling kettle black Narrawa. Very Happy I remember in the distant past, a fair few minelab models back, a certain person yelling out they they found a speci. On gathering back together what was spat out of your mouth for inspection........ A really mangled metal jacketed projectile with jacket flecks through it.
I must admit at the very first glance it looked like the real goods and it was in twilight. Very Happy

PS. After sucking on many mangled BB's and lead bullet scraps when night detecting i finally got glasses and started carrying a gold container so i could check small finds and not get lead poisoning.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  NITRO Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Yeah happened to me a few times years back in the XT 1700 days. Couple of blokes who used to detect at Castlemaine planted them in quite a few places. Stooged me bad. One was the size of a 5 ozer and I thought id struck it rich. Didnt figure out it was lead painted gold until three hours later back at the car and after id searched all around where I found it for more. Sinking feeling doesnt even begin to desribe how it felt. Its a dog act. Found a D/Head token three months ago. Who-ever made them must have made thousands. A bloke I knew who lived in Tarna at the time found an icecream container full of them when they were at the peak. Mostly planted at Tarna, Wan and Dunolly. First planted Im guessing, roughly 25 years ago.

NITRO
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down