Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn

Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn

Post  Willo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi

I am going to the goldfields in a few weeks thinking of buying a 18 inch coil to use at night to try and jag some bigger stuff - had the 18 inch commander in mind - has anyone else swung a big coil like this or am I simply crackers? I already have a 8, 11 and 14 inch coil, the later a NFA.

Willo
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-09-04

Back to top Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Re: Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn

Post  Goldbait on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 am

not to favour 1 brand of coil. but you would be better off with the 18" Nugget Finder. It is a lot easier to swing because it weighs so much less. spoked coil helps that too.

quality between the coils is probably the same. but the nugget finder wins for it's weight saving.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Re: Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 am

G'day Willo if your using a GPX I recon it should be ok and as Goldbait said I would go for the spoked NFA coil the weight will be a lot better if your not used to swinging a big coil... I find the 14"round spoked NFA a great coil to use...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 am

As stated by Goldbait & Mike,you'll find the current line 18 inch inch NF open spoke or solid,a little more stable and smoother running on the 4500 or 5000 than the Commander,but depends on where in Wedderburn you intend on swinging over.There are some places such that of the beggary Hill area where you could strike an arc on the ground with a welding rod,due to it being extremely mineralized(very high in iron content) forcing you to drop your gain to the point where dd coils start to be on par or even surpassing the mono's.Areas like Wedderburn I tend to keep for the cooler months.As for night time,just make sure the temperatures aren't in their high 20+ degrees or the ground,remains noisy. Best times during the summer months would be in the early hrs of the morning till midday.

Cheers kon61. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am

Goldbait wrote:not to favour 1 brand of coil. but you would be better off with the 18" Nugget Finder. It is a lot easier to swing because it weighs so much less. spoked coil helps that too.

quality between the coils is probably the same. but the nugget finder wins for it's weight saving.

Thanks Goldbait the advice seems unanimous re the NFA.
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am

Mike54 wrote:G'day Willo if your using a GPX I recon it should be ok and as Goldbait said I would go for the spoked NFA coil the weight will be a lot better if your not used to swinging a big coil... I find the 14"round spoked NFA a great coil to use...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Mike I have the spoked 14 inch as well is a good coil, I agree. Thanks for your reply.
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

kon61 wrote: As stated by Goldbait & Mike,you'll find the current line 18 inch inch NF open spoke or solid,a little more stable and smoother running on the 4500 or 5000 than the Commander,but depends on where in Wedderburn you intend on swinging over.There are some places such that of the beggary Hill area where you could strike an arc on the ground with a welding rod,due to it being extremely mineralized(very high in iron content) forcing you to drop your gain to the point where dd coils start to be on par or even surpassing the mono's.Areas like Wedderburn I tend to keep for the cooler months.As for night time,just make sure the temperatures aren't in their high 20+ degrees or the ground,remains noisy. Best times during the summer months would be in the early hrs of the morning till midday.

Cheers kon61. What a Face

Thanks very much Kon1 for your reply, I totally agree about the heat, thinking I will get the 18 inch NFA, after all one good nuggy will pay for it! Willo
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 am

Hi willo. Buying an 18 inch round mono is a good idea if you plan to detect for a few years more. I think it is an important weapon in the arsenal. I have a coiltek 18 and have done well with it. I think they are a little heavier then the NF but they are strong and smash their way through grass.

I think the hardest part about using an 18 is training yourself to persist with it rather then being tempted to throw on a smaller coil. Often the 18 will seem noisy and its harder to swing for hours with the weight. In almost every location there is deeper ground at the bottom of slopes below mines reef areas etc and somewhere there is big deep nuggets at the bottom of these slopes. I just keep reminding myself that if there is a chance of a larger nugget being there it is worth the odds of trying to find it rather then spending months trying for smaller bits to add up to the weight of a big slug.
I like using sens extra with the gain down a bit (unless the ground is very hot) These settings will cause groaning false signals all day long from ground noise and you need to teach your brain to ignore them, but you will know when you have a deep metal target. False signal noise is OK to the point where it is so bad it sounds like the metal target signals you are looking for.
Having said that, an 18 mono will get swamped by ground mineralisation in many spots in VIC.
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

An 18in coil is an essential tool in any serious detector operators kit.
And like Tributer says experiment with different timings particularly Sense Extra as you get way more depth with these timings.

Back to top Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Re: Am I crackers? Thinking of using a 18inch coil at Wedderburn

Post  sandy2010 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:02 pm

aurumpro wrote:An 18in coil is an essential tool in any serious detector operators kit.
And like Tributer says experiment with different timings particularly Sense Extra as you get way more depth with these timings.

Hi arumpro et al,
What is the difference between sens smooth and sens extra ?
Thanks.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 pm

sandy2010 wrote:
Thanks.
Sensitive extra doe's not have what it takes to quieten the ground like smooth does.
Both use different length pulses. Extra will go deeper on certain ground types than smooth due to the timing...smooth will go deeper than extra on certain ground types due to the other being more noisy. (conditions apply) Where one timing fails...the other succeeds .... basically.
Smooth allows you the use of a mono-loop coil on ground the older machines have trouble.
S/Smooth was the first of the smooth class of timings introduced on the 4000.
The list go's on........

The use of an 18" mono and s/smooth have advantages over the use of an 18"mono in Extra...vice-versa... .knowing your ground and timings determines the outcome.

Knowing how to adjust your settings for the use with both combo's is better determined on the day. Very Happy

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Re: Am I crackers? Thinking of using a 18inch mono coil at Wedderburn

Post  sandy2010 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 am

narrawa..............my thanks for your comprehensive reply.

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:41 pm

sandy2010 wrote:
aurumpro wrote:An 18in coil is an essential tool in any serious detector operators kit.

Hi arumpro et al,
Thanks.

Like Narrawa says
the timings vary the TX(transmit) pulse length/Rate and the RX(receive) delay time this helps over come various ground signal conditions (mineralization).
If you look in your manual(heaps of useful info in there Wink ) the individual timings are explained.
The difference between sensitive extra and sensitive smooth is:

sens smooth- The TX pulse length/Rate has more shorter pulses in the pulse train and the RX(receive) delay time is more closed this helps deal with highly mineralized ground but looses allot of depth on bigger targets as the decay time on bigger targets is very close to the ground signal decay time.

sens extra- The TX pulse length/Rate has more Med/long pulses in the pulse train and the RX(receive) delay time is more open, this makes it punch deeper particularly on larger targets at depth but makes it very susceptible to picking up the ground signal particularly in soil with a high iron content or that heavy orange clay which makes it very noisy but after you get used to it it is easy to distinguish the ground noise which is broad/smooth from a metallic target as the target signal is allot sharper but you have to run lower gain and stabilizer settings like Tributer says.

Both are very useful in their own set of conditions like Narrawa says in some heavily mineralized soil sens smooth will go deeper and you wont even be able to hear a nugget if you put it on the surface with sens extra, and some places sens extra will really shine giving you way more depth.

Back to top Go down

Am I crackers? Thinking of buying a 18 inch mono coil to use at Wedderburn Empty Re: Am I crackers? Thinking of using a 18inch mono coil at Wedderburn

Post  sandy2010 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi arumpro,
Many thanks to you for answering my question in laymans terms....quite often the "instruction books" tend to be vague in their phraseology......

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you all for your replies to my message, it was much appreciated. decided to opt for the 17 by 11 inch at this stage. Willo
Willo
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum