new member - JonP

Go down

new member - JonP Empty new member - JonP

Post  JonP on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi

just thought I'd introduce myself. Like many people, have dreamed of getting out and searching for some gold. Have finally purchased a minelab 5000. Have enjoyed reading the various posts on this forum, and hope to contribute, mostly with questions, I would imagine.

Been doing a lot of research for my area (Narragundah, Mount Drom, Tilba, etc). So hope to find something soon, other than the rusty things I've been finding!

My minelab 5000 came with the two standard 11" coils, but I've already got people telling me I need to get an 8x6 nugget finder. Other people tell me I need a 6" coiltech, as all the gold around here is small and fine. Any reasons why there's over $100 difference in the two? Money's tight, but I don't want to purchase something only to find further down the track that a few more dollars would have bought a better coil.

Thanks and cheers,
JonP

JonP
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

new member - JonP Empty Re: new member - JonP

Post  slimpickens on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 am

Welcome Jon, I use the nuggetfinder 8 x 6 sadie coil on my 4500 sometimes, and it has picked up gold pieces down to .04 grams. I imaging that it will pick up even smaller pieces with the 5000. But you gotta ask yourself, do you really want to find pieces that small? I know when you first start out that you just want to find gold, ANY gold, but you'll soon snap out of it and put on the bigger coils. Cheers Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3679
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

new member - JonP Empty new-member-jonp

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi jonp and welcome ,I would stick with your 11in mono mate and not bother with the smaller coil ,for now work on mastering the 11in if anything down the track buy a bigger coil,I picked up yesterday a .16gm with the 11in and have found bits alot smaller also with the 11in.The 11in is a great coil when starting out, it will get the smaller and bigger bits ,you have to remember that gold is not everywere i went 5-6months without finding any,i bought more coils thinking that will help but it didnt I have found over 120 peices in the last 6 months enough to pay for the machine ,and most off then have been with the standard 11in mono. Good luck mate and keep your coil low and swing it slow.

Back to top Go down

new member - JonP Empty Re: new member - JonP

Post  JonP on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks guys. Will carry on with the 11, as you've suggested.

My confidence has increased, partly from this site, and partly from finding bits and pieces today - none of which was gold, but all interesting, nonetheless!

Found a small coin - have yet to clean it up. Also lots of bullets. I had been struggling using an ice pick (that I use in the snow), but have now purchased a cc prospector pick, which has made digging so much easier and quicker.

Cheers,
JonP

JonP
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum