Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pink quarts

Go down

Pink quarts  Empty Pink quarts

Post  Alexfromdarwin Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 pm

went out this arvo for a quick look around an area that a person has found alot of gold around years ago. I am not actually sure specifically sure were the gold was found but im within a few kms of the area.

anyways i noticed alot of pink quarts on the surface of the ground and fallen over trees showed a mix of the pink quarts with other brownish looking rocks mixed in it. the other rocks in the ground were black looking pebble and brownish pebbles.

I was just wondering if people have found gold around similar coloured quarts or the other rocks in the ground.

Pink quarts  Quarts_LT2

Pink quarts  Quarts_LT1

I found my fist nugget the other week in an old mullok heap of a flogged area and now im hooked, this area isnt them same as what the above topic is about.

Alexfromdarwin
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Pink quarts  Empty Re: Pink quarts

Post  CostasDee Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Alexfromdarwin and welcome.
I personnal love this pinkish quartz. Clean white quartz is not anywhere as good to find gold in as "dirty" quartz. What you have there is quartz that is mixed with possibly ironstone (although I may be wrong with this) and that is a fairly good indicator. Hopefully, some gold was also thrown into the mix when it was all being formed. I'd certainly be running a detector over that general area and having my fingers crossed.
Saying all that, I don't want to get your hopes up falsely, that is, it is a good indicator and the area appears good and hopefully gold got put into the mix, but sometimes it just doesn't. Certainly worth a little time anyway.
Goodluck and let us know.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

Morning Alex,
There is some explanations here in old post;

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t1851-indicators-and-quartz-reefs

There are some examples of different quartz species I have detected in this photo. Usually mineral stained quartz contains most gold, however there are always exceptions to the rules.
If you view the walls with binoculars of the super pit in Kalgoorlie you can see where the old timers followed quartz leaders. The old drives show up like fly spots on the massive face, hundreds of kilometres dug many metres under ground.
A little out of reach of our detectors. Wink

Pink quarts  Archivepotos115

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2626
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexfromdarwin Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks, an yea I read that topic, was interesting. you obviously know a few tricks of the trade

Alexfromdarwin
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  cam Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 pm

the redder the quartz, the better,especially if there is iron stone about.pure white quartz is boring.but you never know,as nightjar said.

cam

cam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  jc84 Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Can I ask a (possibly silly) question, is that really generally accepted as 'pink quartz' in your photo Alexfromdarwin?

I by no means have any much idea of what i'm talking about and will be the first to admit it, but the quartz in your photo still looks to be the milky cream colour, clearly there are pink areas of the rock, but I would think cream would be still the domination colour, in most (not all) of those rocks? I would think this might mean the veins of minerals that cause the pink colour (iron/iron oxide?) only became present after the cream quartz had formed and solidified?

I then look at Nightjar's lustrous photo, the pink quartz rock in that photo (to the right of the scales) seems to me to be truly mixed and, pink all the way though. Which i would think would mean the minerals that form the pink colour were present at the time of the quartz forming?

I don't know if any of what I just wrote is right or not, hopefully someone can clear it up for me though.
I think with the saying 'gold is where you find it' any area of interest is worth looking in.

jc84
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  tezz Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

That quartz is heavily fractured, surface solutions or water carrying clays, minerals or iron oxide have entered those cracks and left their deposit, hit the quartz with a hammer and it will most likely break at the fractures and you will see the stuff inside. If their is decomposed pyrite in there I would dolly and pan some.
Iv'e seen plenty of gold in pure white quartz and gold that has formed on pyrite and galena, My theory is gold when formed is a pure element, in later stages iron can come in probably from solutions and coat or form on the gold, could be something to do with ions, molecules, magnetic field, etc which makes them attract, good question for a geophysicist.
cheers
Tezz
tezz
tezz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum