Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pro -pointers

4 posters

Go down

pro -pointers Empty pro -pointers

Post  Aussie Dave Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Im new to detecting. can anybody tell me anything about pro-pointers.are they any good, which brand etc

Aussie Dave

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-01

Back to top Go down

pro -pointers Empty Re: pro -pointers

Post  CostasDee Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Aussie Dave and welcome.
Pro pointers are great but they are not an essential item. You can dig and recover your target normally, but propointers do help when you have dug a large hole and cant pinpoint the target (you many have dug past it and it still may be in the sidewall). There are a number of different ones out there, but essentially it boils down to 2 quality but sumwhat expensive ones and a number of cheaper ones. The 2 quality ones are the Garrett and the new Minelab pro pointers. Good reports on both of these with a slight leaning towards the Minelab due to it's slightly greater pinpointing distance. Hope that helps...
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

pro -pointers Empty Re: pro -pointers

Post  getascripter Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I have the Garrett. On a recent trip to VIC, staying at the wonderful Laanecoorie Pk, we conducted a very quick and not too technical test on the Garrett. Putting a series of small nuggets into a hand ... you had to be withing a couple of cms of the smaller ones, and on the very small <-.1gm nuggets ... no signal at 2cm ... no signal at 1cm ... had to sit it on the darned nugget to get a beep!

Am thinking that in MOST circumstances, the detector will do a better job! The pointer, IF your target is very small, is really only for the walls of your dig hole.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

pro -pointers Empty pointers

Post  philip.j.thompson Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm

With the 5000 I have to turn the pro-pointer ( Minelab) off as I get major EM interference as soon as I switch it on. While here I also can pick up other detector interference at very long range - talking 100 meters pirat

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

pro -pointers Empty Re: Pro- pointers

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 pm

G'day Aussie Dave and welcome to the forum... I have been using a Garret Pro pointer for about 2 years now... They are great when you have a deep target to dig out as others have mentioned... There are other uses as well when checking a large specie to find which part has the gold in it... Read that some people use them to check new boots for metal etc... Very Happy Hope this helps....

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

pro -pointers Empty Re: Pro- Pointers

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 pm

philip.j.thompson wrote:With the 5000 I have to turn the pro-pointer ( Minelab) off as I get major EM interference as soon as I switch it on. While here I also can pick up other detector interference at very long range - talking 100 meters pirat

G'day Phil sounds like you need to retune your 5000... pirat They know your coming.... lol!

Back to top Go down