Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting out with a GPX 4000

4 posters

Go down

starting out with a GPX 4000 Empty starting out with a GPX 4000

Post  Bol Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Gday fellas and felletes
After a few weeks of research,i have decided to go with the GPX 4000 as my first metal detector.Originally i was looking at the ex tera 705,but from the advice and recomendations from a few of the members of this website i should start with something with a bit more balls.
I will be targeting nuggets only so i might aswell go for a serious "Gold detector".I'm bidding on flea bay at the moment one one over in WA.
I'm no moron...but i aint Einstein either scratch
GPX 5000 new might scare the hell outa me as i'm just getting into it.
Am i shooting for the right detector to start off with ?
Or am i bighting of more than i can chew?
Cheers
Bol What a Face
Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

starting out with a GPX 4000 Empty Re: starting out with a GPX 4000

Post  getascripter Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 pm

G'day bol ... you've made a good choice! I've recently done the same and I love my 4000. Easy to operate, and very quiet and stable.

I had a bit of a problem with a broken wire in the control box the other day and had to send it off to Minelab for repairs. Today I was speaking with one of the boys at Minelab and he says that the 4000's are a brilliant machine! Can't get a better recommendation than that!

It's now on it's way back to me ... great service!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

mate if you have not detected before you are in for a hell of a big learning curve ( whichever detector you get ) but the 4000 is a very good machine.
just because you buy a $4000 piano does not mean you know how to play it Sad
same with detectors
ask questions from people that know the machine and listen to their answers
I wouldn`t mind at all if the 4000 had been my first machine . I`ve still got mine as a spare incase the 5000 ever packs up
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Bol Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Ahh yes Dave...what you make is a very valid point.
to ad to your little metaphor about pianos,if i may Very Happy

If i was to learn the piano,in order to become a serious pianoist,i would not go out and buy a plastic kids key board from Kmart for $9.95
I would more than likely find a good solid piano,probably second hand for a reasonable price.This piano would not be too hard to tune for the beginer,advice would be sought from the previous owner as how to best play this piano.I would also listen intently to my piano teacher and take in the advice of other pianoists.I also understand that the top of the range pianos are bigger and shinier than my recently acquired piano,and can play a much deeper sound.Maybe one day i might be able to upgrade to one of those big flash pianos.But to do it now,at this begining stage of my musical career,would be foolish.I would enjoy the steep learning curve of learning the piano. Even the very best pianoists are continuously learning.
Thanks Dave..that was fun cheers
Thanks Kate,when i finally get a middle of the range piano,i will be sure to post heaps more on this forum Very Happy

Bol What a Face
Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sebtones Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Best thing i did with my GP3500 was to get ahold of a couple of Jonathon Porters DVD's, here.. http://www.aurumaustralis.com/pages/outbackprospector.html
He has a great way of getting info across(be prepared for it to drag a little in places though, he loves his special effects!) and these DVD's are money very well spent, nothing teaches better than seeing the effects of each setting in practice.
He has DVD's covering each PI detector from Minelab, i had to watch the earlier video's in the GP series aswell to get the full info on my 3500 but as yours is the first GPX you should be fine.
All the best!
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 am

Ditto that, sebtones!

To Bol: In the second last chapter on Disc 2, be prepared for the BIG SECRET to this detector! It is something that none of the other detectors have to such a high degree ... I won't spoil the surprise, but MAKE SURE you get a hold of the DVDs.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

starting out with a GPX 4000 Empty 4000 is very user friendly.

Post  Guest Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:23 pm

i have been using the 4000 for the last 4 years.very good machine have tried the 4500 and the 5000 but keep going back to the 4000.im not saying it is better than the others its just what you get from using 1 machine for a long time.only problem i had was the start button buggered up and sent it to minelab and they put a toggle switch on.deadly combo with a 17 inch mono nuggetfinder coil.

Back to top Go down

Post  onthehunt Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I also own a GPX-4000 and its a great detector. It's my first and only detector, it wasn't too hard to work out, and even today its still a bloody good detector. I won't be upgrading any time soon.

onthehunt
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Back to top Go down