Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches

3 posters

Go down

Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches Empty Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches

Post  Bill D. (VA) Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 am

I've been wanting to try this out and now that I have a Platypus waterproof DD coil I'm ready to go. Been trying to figure out the best way to set the machine up for hunting in this environment. I plan to use the Salt-Gold timing and will also probably start out in the "General" search mode. I normally use fixed GB, but wasn't sure if tracking GB would work better. I also use slow sweep speed for relic hunting, but with all the ground to cover at the oceanfront I might need to step that up to medium. I will also have to play with the gain and stabilizer once I get out there to help achieve smooth operation. One of the main reasons for me wanting to try this machine at the beach is to be able to disc out bobby pins, and small rusty fishing hooksand pieces of wire which I can't eliminate with my Infinium. By turning the iron reject up to 10 I was able to knock out all those items while air testing. And at that setting I was still able to clearly pick up the smallest gold ring I had, as well as get good depth. So those are the settings I was thinking about starting with, but wanted to see what others had been using successfully. That and any other salt water hunting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bill D. (VA)
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Back to top Go down

Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches Empty Re: Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches

Post  Goldbait Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

the problem with PI machines especially the 5000 is their performance will be a hinderance on the beach. I hope you are using a small coil as anything over 10x5 or 6"round is going to get to incredable depths.

I used a GP Extreme on the beach with a 14x9 and was digging holes 15 inches down and still wasn't at the target.

best of luck and the only way you'll find out how well it performs is to give it a go.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches Empty Re: Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches

Post  snapper Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 pm

hi fellas, ive done a bit of detecting on beaches and using the 5k and 11" dd and its just overload, one of the cheaper minelab detectors would be alot better as they are lighter and waterproof, using the 5k i was digging holes 2 to 3 feet deep for those dam bobby pins, forget it, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down