Grumpy's Townsville Trip.

Go down

Grumpy's Townsville Trip. Empty Grumpy's Townsville Trip.

Post  grumpy57 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi everyone. We made it to Townsville a couple of days ago. Have had a fantastic trip so far. Tried my luck at Hillend but got rained out so only managed a few hrs detecting. Tried a spot i was shown by a forum member from Newcastle, no gold but heaps of lead so worth a better look if i ever get up that way again. The next place i detected at was Clermont in Qld, 2 days and no luck, one area was so flogged you couldn't even find much rubbish.We pulled into Saphire in Qld and booked a days gem hunting with Fantastic Gems. Met our guide/instructor the next morning and followed him out to the gemfields. After a short demo of what to do he let us loose in an old creek bed. We dug out 17 saphires for the day with 4 big enough to do something with. We went back to the shop and showed Dave the owner and our biggest saphire was a rare star saphire which will cut a 6mm stone. Out of our 3 other bigger stones only 1 was a cutter as the other 2 had cracks in them. The good 1 will cut a 5mm stone. Dave at the shop is putting the stones into a pendant and ring for Shirley. This was a very memorable day for us as it was our 35th wedding anniversary. My next detecting spot was Ravenswood in Qld. Hard to find any ground to detect as it is all on private property. We met a loverly couple where we camped who put me onto a small area where i could have a poke around without getting into any trouble. I found a small flat nugget which weighed .85grms which i took back to camp and gave to Shirley as it was her birthday. We will be spending the next 2 weeks with our grandkids over the school holidays and then might have time for some more detecting. Fantastic trip so far and will give an update soon. Cheers Grumpy.
grumpy57
grumpy57
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Grumpy's Townsville Trip. Empty Re: Grumpy's Townsville Trip.

Post  rc62burke on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Hey Grumpy
Welcome to Townsville, you were lucky to get a nugget at Ravenswood, very hard to get in out there.
Pm me if you want to catch up
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Grumpy,

Sound like a good trip so far and isn't Shirly a lucky Girl, Gold and Gems, mate you are setting the bar far to high for all of us other blokes Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wet and cold down here so enjoy the warmer weather.

PS the clips are selling well.

Have a great trip

Peter
Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Sounds like good fun mate. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Nice to hear form you Dave.It look like you have a great time.
Happy aniversary and happy birthday cheers
Enjoy the trip and family time and enjoy the weather as we are miserable here, rain, wind, earthwake name it we have it.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Sounds like you and your missuss are having a good time Grumpy. Hope you all have a golden and safe trip.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

PS I think I saw your brother here in Meekathara Ford F250 No plate had Grumpy on it.... Very Happy lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:33 pm

G'Day
Sounds like your haveing a great time and why not Might have too change name from Grumpy to Happy.
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Glad your both having a blast. Keep us posted! Smile xxx

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Grumpy's Townsville Trip. Empty star saphire

Post  bloke from queensland on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 pm

I helped tow a guy out of a creek in just east of rubyvale and was given a star saphire as thanks had it set in ring for my wife who shows everyone well worth stopping to help people. hahahaha hows your trip going I have never liked Ravenswood looks totally flogged to me.

bloke from queensland
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down