why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo

Go down

why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo Empty why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo

Post  bikehe on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am

When I bought my gpx 5000, one of the guys that worked for the shop said that he could change the headphones supplied by minelab from mono to stereo. But as they wouldnt be ready until the next day I never had time as I was leaving the city to head back home some 10 hours drive, so is it better to have the speakers wired in stereo as surely minelab would have had them supplied like this if it were an improvement. What would be the benefits of them being stereo, and have any of you done this modification?

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo Empty Re: why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo Empty Re: why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo

Post  koeh on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

fencejumper you wouldn't by any chance know how to change them from mono to stereo would ya.

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  bikehe on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

fencejumper wrote:they are wired that way so the headphones don't turn booster on..
speakers should be wired stereo to turn booster in battery on..
cheers

Thanks for the info fencejumper, so there is a booster in the battery box is that correct which isnt being used normally? If there is does that mean you could wire external speakers and headphones in stereo and have a booster circuit. Is wiring the speakers in stereo the same as adding an aftermarket booster ie like a rooster booster, if so this would be very beneficial using the external speakers for picking up those very faint signals.

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  bikehe on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

fencejumper wrote:
bikehe wrote:
fencejumper wrote:they are wired that way so the headphones don't turn booster on..
speakers should be wired stereo to turn booster in battery on..
cheers

Thanks for the info fencejumper, so there is a booster in the battery box is that correct which isnt being used normally? If there is does that mean you could wire external speakers and headphones in stereo and have a booster circuit. Is wiring the speakers in stereo the same as adding an aftermarket booster ie like a rooster booster, if so this would be very beneficial using the external speakers for picking up those very faint signals.

that's right mate theres a amp/booster in the battery and if you wired your headphones in stereo to turn it on, then you can use your target volume(from memory) switch to control the amp with headphones. altough minelab feel an amp with speakers is not needed...but with speakers you do need the amp.that is why it's set up so it can be on or off depending on what plug you use..

if you want to use an external amp/booster then it needs to be wired so it does NOT turn on the amp in the minelab battery or you will be double amping and you run into background hiss/humm...

persnoly i think if you have the choice go for an aftermarket booster detacc/rooster booster/b&z are all better than the minelab amp as they seem to have a bit more grunt.

koeh...no mate...i don't change plugs myself as the blokes in the local eletronics shop do great work for next to nothing..i let them do the fiddly bits
cheers

Thanks mate I'll wire the headphones to stereo. I'm not sure but I dont think (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is an option to turn the booster circuit on in any of the settings so perhaps an option will come up when wired in stereo, but I'm not sure. Either way activatiing the booster circuit by doing this modification will be a huge improvement, so will just have to adjust the target volume as you mention. I'm also going to add another external speaker and wire that into the second terminal on the jack so I have the booster activated on them as well so I have the best of both worlds. Hoorah Very Happy

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Bikehe, I can't understand why you're so adament to wire it in stereo. You're not listening to an FM radio or CD. The detector only puts out a mono sound and that should come through both headphones/speakers at the same time & at the same level. A standard headphone will pass the amp and you hear directly what's coming out of the detector, a speaker is wired differently at the plug so when you plug it into the battery, the amp says (to itself and not out aloud of course), "oh this is a speaker that's plugged into me, let me turn the amp ON now". Does this make sense to you?
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 pm

The Audio amp does not produce a Stereo Signal...ie left and right....so it will have no effect whatsoever...in sound quality.

as mentioned, all it does is change the switching arrangement for the amp in the battery box
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  bikehe on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:17 am

CostasDee wrote:Bikehe, I can't understand why you're so adament to wire it in stereo. You're not listening to an FM radio or CD. The detector only puts out a mono sound and that should come through both headphones/speakers at the same time & at the same level. A standard headphone will pass the amp and you hear directly what's coming out of the detector, a speaker is wired differently at the plug so when you plug it into the battery, the amp says (to itself and not out aloud of course), "oh this is a speaker that's plugged into me, let me turn the amp ON now". Does this make sense to you?
Cheers

Sir I didnt start this thread being adamant on modifying my headphones or external speakers and apologise if you misunderstood this, but my title for this thread "why are koss headphones wired in mono and not stereo" came about as the minelab dealer that I bought my 5000 from said he could improve the sound quality by wiring the headphones in stereo but time wasnt on my side to wait for this modification from the dealer, and as the dealer presumably knows what there talking about, I'm asking the question here to hopefully get an answer from the knowledgable people like yourself, as to why minelab hadnt done it this way and if there was any substance to the dealers polite offer, free of charge. I understand that I'm not listening to a FM radio or CD, but if there is a way to improve the sound/audio quality as some people do with boosters, extra speakers etc, then I'm open to ideas that work. So you say that a speaker is wired differently at the plug, so can you please explain why they are wired differently to headphones. I had no idea that external speakers switch the amp, boosting the signal. Is it possible that the koss headphones can be wired in stereo or for a better understanding of my reply, the same configuration as external speakers, to open up the amp circuitry and with a little audio adjustment, have a boosted or improved audio to amplify those faint signals with headphones as Ive seen guys with those aftermarket boosters using headphones so wouldnt this be the same as the minelab battery box amp?. Does this make sense? and please understand that I didnt start this thread asking why a CANT wire my speakers in stereo. Appreciate any further input you have on this subject as you know more than I about it.

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 am

The GPX 5000 has two volume controls built into it, if using a set of headphones that are wired up with a Mono plug there is plenty of volume adjustment available to improve the response of targets for everyone including those hard of hearing. Due to the popularity of external speakers Minelab decided to include an inbuilt amplifier in the battery of the GPX 4500 onwards because speakers need a lot more amplification than headphones to drive them, hence they wired the headphone jack of the battery circuit to recognise when a stereo plug has been inserted which then triggers the inbuilt booster.

The inbuilt booster has no external controls so is a one stop shop for the amount of output it can supply to the audio of the detector, however by using the inbuilt controls such as the Volume Limit and the Target Volume you can condition the amount of volume coming out of a speaker but it is limited. Generally if I am using the inbuilt booster and speakers I run the Volume Limit of the GPX 4500/5000 on 10 which is just below Factory Preset and run the Target Volume at 12 which is just above Factory Preset. If I run the Target Volume any higher to get more volume out of an external speaker the audio tends to distort which is why I now mostly use the B&Z booster to do my amplification for me as the Volumes can be lifted a very long way with minimal distortion (The B&Z is wired with a Mono plug to avoid triggering the inbuilt booster).

People who are hard of hearing but prefer headphones have been wiring their headphones with Stereo plugs to get the benefit of the inbuilt booster then adjusting their inbuilt volume controls to suit, it is not recommended detector operators do this but never the less it is being done as is evidenced by the dealer offering to do the mod for you. I would not recommend it as the inbuilt volume controls offer plenty of adjustment for headphone use unless you are severely hearing impaired.

Hope this answers some of your questions,

Regards
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  bikehe on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Johnathon, thanks for the reply mate as this gives me a clear understanding now of how the circuitry and inbuilt amp works. Very much appreciated and now I've learnt something new.

bikehe
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Folks,
This is an interesting and perhaps confusing issue, reason being the Koss headphones supplied with my ML5000 have a stereo plug connected.
The center end point connects the left side, the middle section of the plug connects the right side and the shield is connected to the base section of the plug, this is my understanding of normal wiring for stereo headphones.
Out of interest could JP or other forum member explain how this system switches the internal ML booster on and off given that both headphones and external speakers use stereo jacks.
Thanks in advance.
AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:35 am

AUoptimist wrote:Hi Folks,
This is an interesting and perhaps confusing issue, reason being the Koss headphones supplied with my ML5000 have a stereo plug connected.
The center end point connects the left side, the middle section of the plug connects the right side and the shield is connected to the base section of the plug, this is my understanding of normal wiring for stereo headphones.
Out of interest could JP or other forum member explain how this system switches the internal ML booster on and off given that both headphones and external speakers use stereo jacks.
Thanks in advance.
AUoptimist.

For the internal booster to work with a speaker you only need two wires attached to a stereo plug, main wire to the jack tip and shield wire to the ring (second point) leaving the sleeve with nothing attached. I assume the stereo plug of the Koss headphones is wired with tip left or right and ring position right or left with the last position (sleeve) being the common.

To trigger the inbuilt booster you need to have the shield wire soldered to the ring (second position) which is how a Mono plug would normally be wired.

Hope this helps
JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down