Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset Dam Qld

3 posters

Go down

Somerset Dam Qld Empty Somerset Dam Qld

Post  countman88 Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am

Heading off tomorrow for a week or so in my caravan and will spend some/most time at and around Somerset Dam, Brisbane's water supply. Thought I would take my Coinmaster 6db, inherited from my Dad, who had quite a bit of success with it around Maryborough/Dunolly 30/40 odd years ago. I tried it out on the Gold coast beaches last summer and it worked fine.
Two questions:
1. Is there anywhere in that area worth trying?
2. Do I need any type of licence or permit? I have nothing at present.

Thanks

kenD
bris

countman88
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-05

Back to top Go down

Somerset Dam Qld Empty Somerset Dam

Post  AnnieL Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi KenD,

In Queensland you should have a Fossickers Licence (weekly, six month or annual). See http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking.htm and you can pick them up at some Visitor Information Centres.

I don't know of anything around Somerset Dam, but others on this forum may be able to help.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Somerset Dam Qld Empty Re: Somerset Dam Qld

Post  bicter Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:47 pm

[quote="countman88"]Heading off tomorrow for a week or so in my caravan and will spend some/most time at and around Somerset Dam, Brisbane's water supply. Thought I would take my Coinmaster 6db, inherited from my Dad, who had quite a bit of success with it around Maryborough/Dunolly 30/40 odd years ago. I tried it out on the Gold coast beaches last summer and it worked fine.
Two questions:
1. Is there anywhere in that area worth trying?
2. Do I need any type of licence or permit? I have nothing at present.

Hi,
If it's not too late, on the road from Esk-Hampton road there were a couple of old gold mines, one was called Bunkers Hill and from what I have been able to find out it was on a ridge uphill on the southern side from Kipper Creek in Deongwar state forest

Regards
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Somerset Dam Qld Empty Re: Somerset Dam Qld

Post  countman88 Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks Bicter,
I will see if I can find it.